Proposal to add a 5th division of English football

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
It will he a hard sell

Agreed. I doubt Championship teams will like the possibility of being in League One w/o being relegated. Eight teams from The National League would have to be promoted to League Three as well. The whole twenty team per league system seems kind of OCD.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Agreed. I doubt Championship teams will like the possibility of being in League One w/o being relegated. Eight teams from The National League would have to be promoted to League Three as well. The whole twenty team per league system seems kind of OCD.

It wouldn't be too hard to phase in over a couple years if they wanted to by adding a couple of relegation spots or reducing a couple promotion spots.

Although I agree I also don't understand the obsession with 20 teams, lower divisions don't have issues with having 24 teams (IMO) because they don't have to worry about extended cup runs or European fixtures adding up on the calendar. They also have a much greater ability to play around international breaks because the vast majority of teams aren't really hurt by it. It seems like trying to fix something that isn't broken.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I like it. It makes the league a bit more inclusive toward the bottom while increasing the quality at the upper end. The conference has a good number of teams now which could easily be football league teams. And I get the 20 team maximum, 46 games is just overkill and don't forget that there's lower tier Cup competitions as well.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I actually think a shorter schedule would make the lower leagues better. Right now it's a lot less about who has more skill as compared to who has a roster that is deeper and can better withstand a marathon season.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Why does it hurt the lower teams?

Losing more than a sixth of their season, first and foremost. 8 fewer games under the proposed model. It also means that in order to make those numbers each league would have to relegate a bunch of extra teams, which obviously means a huge hit in revenue for those teams.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Losing more than a sixth of their season, first and foremost. 8 fewer games under the proposed model. It also means that in order to make those numbers each league would have to relegate a bunch of extra teams, which obviously means a huge hit in revenue for those teams.

But it means additional revenue for 8 teams who get to move from the Conference to the proposed "League 3" and softens the blow for teams relegated from League 2. I think it's a mixed bag for lower league teams.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
The Top 6 Conference clubs that don't get promoted probably love this.

Typical Championship clubs probably would like a shorter schedule and are likely "big" enough to absorb the revenue loss.

The clubs in between those extremes won't like this at all.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I'd imagine you could also fix the lost revenue by slightly increasing the revenue share sent down by the PL, or keeping the overall amount sent to the Championship the same thus increasing the per team amount by 20%

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Good luck getting the PL to agree to that.

They already agreed to higher payments with the new TV deal. Agreeing to send down the same amount to the Championship, League 1 and League 2 (resulting in 20% more per team) obviously wouldn't be an issue. And once you're down to League 3, you're talking about 20 teams making up a total of something like 5 million in solidarity payments.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Here is the big problem with the plan as it stands right now.

Year 1 of the plan you would see 7 teams relegated down from championship to league 1.

Already Relegated are Charlton, MK Dons and Bolton

under the first year of this plan Fulham, Rotherham, Hudderfields and Bristol would all be relegated--fans of those teams would be chocked at 3 teams coming up and 7 going down

also--they have not factored in League North and South

Here is the current break down

English Premier League--20 teams
Championship League--24 teams
League one--24 teams
League two--24 teams
National League-- 24 teams
Northern League --22 teams
Southern League--22 teams

With Northern league and Southern League getting promoted to the National League---you would still have the unbalanced leaguees

going down to 22 makes more sense as it would make it 22 for all but Premier league

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
and it could be viewed as a kick to the nards for teams relegated from National Division because they would not got to the new division but actual to the north or south division

also with 7 teams going down from the Champions division to League one that means 11 teams would go down from League one to League 2. Then 16 teams would go from League 2 to National Division. Only the top 4 teams from the National division would stay up and 20 teams would go down to the new division--with the bottom 2 going either North or South

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Why does it hurt the lower teams?

We lose matches and revenue. There's no inclination that we would earn that money elsewhere. Also, being one of 7 relegated teams would be stupid and potentially ruin clubs in the National League. If they want to increase the Football League size then they should just absorb the Conference and merge it with League Two and regionalise that.

https://twitter.com/AgainstLeague3 Can say it better than me though.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Idea: Could they not just draft the current National League into the League system and make it League 3? What's stopping them from doing that as opposed to adding an entirely new step to the ladder?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Idea: Could they not just draft the current National League into the League system and make it League 3? What's stopping them from doing that as opposed to adding an entirely new step to the ladder?

Well, consider that a good number of "National League" teams are part-time i.e. the players aren't on full professional contracts. The football league is of course about professional football and no doubt "League 3" is intended to be fully professional.

That means you can only pull in those non-league clubs able to support full-time contracts which is a limited number.

Full-time football of course means a higher level of play, and full-time clubs tend to be better supported with higher commercial ceilings. This proposal gives football league access and stability to more such clubs. Under this proposal you don't just create a new league i.e. a marketable property but by doing so you also tighten the product in the existing properties and make those more attractive.

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
and it could be viewed as a kick to the nards for teams relegated from National Division because they would not got to the new division but actual to the north or south division

also with 7 teams going down from the Champions division to League one that means 11 teams would go down from League one to League 2. Then 16 teams would go from League 2 to National Division. Only the top 4 teams from the National division would stay up and 20 teams would go down to the new division--with the bottom 2 going either North or South

7 teams from Championship to League One.
3 teams from League One to Championship.
12 teams from League One to League Two.
4 teams from League Two to League One.
12 teams from League Two to League Three.
8 teams from National League to League Three.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
7 teams from Championship to League One.
3 teams from League One to Championship.
12 teams from League One to League Two.
4 teams from League Two to League One.
12 teams from League Two to League Three.
8 teams from National League to League Three.

That's a little extreme to me, which is why I'd favor a phased in approach if it has to be done.

League 1 to the Championship is a fairly significant boost in income and you'd have basically no mid table.

2 guaranteed promotion spots, 4 playoff spots at the top. At the bottom you'd have 12 relegation spots. That would be a difference of only 7 standings places between a relegated team and a team qualified for promotion playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad