Proposal: Stone to the Caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Since Stone plays really well and the Caps could use a guy projected as a third line center, would Pens fans have any interest in a 2 for 1 for say Jonas Johannson and Tomas Fleischmann for Stone? Johannson has played well for Portland and has a great shot and is a right wing. Fleischmann looks like a leftwing. If not those 2 make a proposal that excludes any defense or goalies and Ovechkin, Fehr, Semin, Zubrus, Aulin, and Klepis and our next #1 pick.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
would Pens fans have any interest in a 2 for 1 for say Jonas Johannson and Tomas Fleischmann for Stone?
Nope.

Penguins already have quantity. They'll want quality.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
You do realize that this isn't the trade board, right? The proposal is terrible as well. We have PLENTY of 3rd line prospects. Just because Ryan Stone is scoring well in the WHL doesn't mean he is a top six prospect. I see him as having roughly the same upside offensively as Boyd Gordon(Which is not a bad thing).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
borro said:
Since Stone plays really well and the Caps could use a guy projected as a third line center, would Pens fans have any interest in a 2 for 1 for say Jonas Johannson and Tomas Fleischmann for Stone? Johannson has played well for Portland and has a great shot and is a right wing. Fleischmann looks like a leftwing. If not those 2 make a proposal that excludes any defense or goalies and Ovechkin, Fehr, Semin, Zubrus, Aulin, and Klepis and our next #1 pick.

Would you trade a blue-chip Caps prospect like Mike Green to Pittsburgh for two mediocre scrubs like Eric Christiansen and Maxime Talbot?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Captain Conservative said:
Mike Green and Ryan Stone blue-chip prospects? I think not.

Whatever. They're both high picks who are elite junior players, likely members of team Canada, and excellent pro prospects. The definition of 'blue-chip' doesn't really matter and everyone will have a different criteria for its use ... the point is that the proposal was not terribly realistic.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
MS said:
Whatever. They're both high picks who are elite junior players, likely members of team Canada, and excellent pro prospects.
What, then, makes Talbot a scrub?

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Captain Conservative said:
You do realize that this isn't the trade board, right? The proposal is terrible as well. We have PLENTY of 3rd line prospects. Just because Ryan Stone is scoring well in the WHL doesn't mean he is a top six prospect. I see him as having roughly the same upside offensively as Boyd Gordon(Which is not a bad thing).

Why is it such a terrible deal? You take two of your similar prospects and offer them for a guy who has obvious chemistry with Fehr. We have alot of wing prospects but not alot of center. Lines like this would be sweet...

Crosby Ovechkin Zubrus
Stone Semin Fehr
Klepis Sykora Aulin
Halpern Gordon Willsie

If they ruin Stone like they did Sivek, Beech and Lupaschuck, then maybe we can get him even cheaper!

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
MS said:
Whatever. They're both high picks who are elite junior players, likely members of team Canada, and excellent pro prospects. The definition of 'blue-chip' doesn't really matter and everyone will have a different criteria for its use ... the point is that the proposal was not terribly realistic.

You have a strange definition of elite. Green was a 29th pick in the first round. Stone is a good prospect certainly not at an elite level. Malkin is elite. Whitney is a step down from Malkin. Stone is a step down from Whitney. Just my opinion.

These are the same fans who are calling Mario still an elite player. He is, for about 10 games.

I guess the definition doesnt matter, except when you invoke the phrase blue-chip.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
borro, you need to learn to quit while you're still ahead.

Your opinion is laughable. And I mean that in the nicest way possible.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
borro said:

Most scouts see Stone as nothing more than a very good third liner. What everyone else said.

I realize he's had something of a rocky start for Portland, but you'd trade Fleischmann (the centerpiece of the Lang deal) for Stone? We have like half a dozen Stones in our system: Willsie, Pettinger, Sutherby, Gordon, Laich, etc.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
borro said:
You have a strange definition of elite. Green was a 29th pick in the first round. Stone is a good prospect certainly not at an elite level. Malkin is elite. Whitney is a step down from Malkin. Stone is a step down from Whitney. Just my opinion.

These are the same fans who are calling Mario still an elite player. He is, for about 10 games.

I guess the definition doesnt matter, except when you invoke the phrase blue-chip.

I said elite junior players. And they are. One is leading the WHL in scoring, the other is one of the top 5 or 6 junior defenders in Canada. Both have improved their stock considerably since being drafted, and were already pretty high picks to begin with.

You're offering two disappointing long-shot prospects for a guy who will probably be an NHL player. Between them, Johansson and Fleischman have 4 goals in 43 games this year. And they're supposed to be skill players. Pittsburgh would laugh in your face if this was offered. You'd have trouble getting much more than a bucket of pucks for either of them at this point.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
MS said:
I said elite junior players. And they are. One is leading the WHL in scoring, the other is one of the top 5 or 6 junior defenders in Canada. Both have improved their stock considerably since being drafted, and were already pretty high picks to begin with.

You're offering two disappointing long-shot prospects for a guy who will probably be an NHL player. Between them, Johansson and Fleischman have 4 goals in 43 games this year. And they're supposed to be skill players. Pittsburgh would laugh in your face if this was offered. You'd have trouble getting much more than a bucket of pucks for either of them at this point.

No, you said Blue Chip prospects. That is a ridiculous statement. Mike Green doesn't even border on blue chip status and he is a clearly better prospect than Ryan Stone. Personally I would rather have one of Johansson or Fleischmann than Stone. I could see why some would want Stone though. Like I said before, what i've read on him reminds me of Boyd Gordon, and Boyd Gordon is a damn fine prospect.

Also, Johansson and Fleischmann each have 6 points in ~21 games which is not bad for rookies, and a much higher level of competition than the WHL

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Grave77digger said:
Years of resentment from caps fans from watching there team get smeared all over the ice.

Heres the edited version: "Years of resentment from a caps fan watching their team get smeared all over the ice."

There has been one goofy caps poster who brought up sivek,... etc. We're not all rude.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Well... since I can't see, (thank god) borro's posts, I have to assume it's something like this.

Hey, lets give up these two quality prospects from the Caps, who we just got, our GM's are high on and everything for someone else I like better.

Why?

Because I am smart, and you're dumb.

And your mom stinks.

Oh, and yeah, the facts point it out to be true. Trust me, Alexander Semin is the greatest player to play on the face of this earth. But if you offered me 2 defenseman with an outside shot of making the NHL roster, I'd take it in a second.

Did I miss anything?

Basically... borro posted this idea a while back on the Caps boards. We said no, that'd be stupid. He whined and complained, said we were dumb. blah blah blah.

It makes zero sense to go out and get a guy like Stone just because he has chemistry with a guy like Fehr. Yeah, it's nice, and sure, playing well with other people is good, but it's not like he's a superstar who needs to add parts that he fits well with. Giving up two quality prospects with high upside for one so-so prospect with 3rd line written all over him is borderline Pejorative Slured.

Seriously.

Oh!

I almost forgot.

Peter Sykora, the one who'll never come over to the NHL is the most talented player in the world.

And I want to have strungout's babies.

Strakakis

Apr 4, 2004
Montreal
Pens have quantity...
Johansson and Fleishmann wouldn't crack the Pens' top 20.

Stone and ??? for Eminger would be fine :)

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Strakakis said:
Pens have quantity...
Johansson and Fleishmann wouldn't crack the Pens' top 20.

Stone and ??? for Eminger would be fine :)

Wouldn't crack the top 20?

What are you smoking?

Fleischmann has the same ranking as Anshakov, your #5, A better ranking then your #6 Armstrong, and a better ranking then Maxime Talbot, your #7. His ranking is equal to your #8, Andy Choido, his ranking is higher than #9 Murley, Same with Eaves and Sivek, Salomonssen's D kinda skews his ranking which is an 8 for some odd reason.

So, he'd easily be in the range from as high as 5th to as low as 11th for the Penguins.

Jonas would be a little further down, somewhere between #14 Bissonette - #19 Christensen.

Even if you're unwilling to conceed the Caps players rankings, they're easily as talented as some of the players who are on the Penguins top 20. As you say, the Pens have quantity. Well, Johannson and Fleischmann are quality prospects with upside.

And it's actually the other way around, Ryan Stone wouldn't crack the Caps top 20. So, why give up two players who are pretty high in the Caps organization, (7th and 11th respectively).

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
Nope.

Penguins already have quantity. They'll want quality.

Lets look at the HF ratings, shall we Jacobv? Stone is a 6. Johannson is a 6.5 and Fleischmann a 7. Now you could say Stone should be a little higher. Truth is a 1-1 would be in order, but Stone is hot. Even you have to admit that a 6 for a 6.5 and 7 is waaay more than fair. The Caps need centers. A Pens fan (I thought it was you, but don't remember where to look) said you need scoring RW's. Johannson is rising too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad