OT: Proposal for Trade Rumours

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
As was brought up in the Trade Rumors and Proposals: Part XXXVIII thread, there are a number of posters that would prefer to separate the Trade Rumours posts from the Trade Proposals & Rosterbation posts. Well, that didn’t happen.

I find it both interesting and disappointing that an Offseason Moves thread is deemed to be distinct enough for its own thread. In my view, it is not dissimilar from all the trade proposals and fantasy lineups that show up in the Trade Rumors and Proposals thread.

If I could, I’d like to suggest that the Rumours and the Proposals be split into the following two threads:

1) Armchair GM, Fantasy GM, or You be the GM thread – discusses all proposed player transactions during the season and in the offseason. All of the trades and UFA signings that you can imagine.

2) Trade Rumour List – A locked and stickied thread that lists links to all verified trade rumour threads. Once a user starts a new thread about a trade rumour, a mod would add a link to that thread in the Trade Rumour List thread. This would provide an archive of all historical (from this day forward) trade rumours. It could look like this:

June 29, 2013 – Ottawa 30th and parade ticket to Calgary for 31st and bag of pucks (SensTwirp)
Link to thread

April 3, 2013 – Bishop to Tampa (Bobby Mac)
Link to thread

March 30, 2013 – Bishop to Calgary for Glencross (Boo Boo)
Link to thread

Anyway, it’s just a thought. I think this would facilitate tracking the rumours and the sources. Obviously, it would be empty initially. I personally don’t have a problem with individual threads for each trade rumour. But I’m just one guy. What do people think?

Last edited:

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
As was brought up in the Trade Rumors and Proposals: Part XXXVIII thread, there are a number of posters that would prefer to separate the Trade Rumours posts from the Trade Proposals & Rosterbation posts. Well, that didn’t happen.

I find it both interesting and disappointing that an Offseason Moves thread is deemed to be distinct enough for its own thread. In my view, it is not dissimilar from all the trade proposals and fantasy lineups that show up in the Trade Rumors and Proposals thread.

If I could, I’d like to suggest that the Rumours and the Proposals be split into the following two threads:

1) Armchair GM, Fantasy GM, or You be the GM thread – discusses all proposed player transactions during the season and in the offseason. All of the trades and UFA signings that you can imagine.

2) Trade Rumour List – A locked and stickied thread that lists links to all verified trade rumour threads. Once a user starts a new thread about a trade rumour, a mod would add a link to that thread in the Trade Rumour List thread. This would provide an archive of all historical (from this day forward) trade rumours. It could look like this:

June 29, 2013 – Ottawa 30th and parade ticket to Calgary for 31st and bag of pucks (SensTwirp)
Link to thread

April 3, 2013 – Bishop to Tampa (Bobby Mac)
Link to thread

March 30, 2013 – Bishop to Calgary for Glencross (Boo Boo)
Link to thread

Anyway, it’s just a thought. I think this would facilitate tracking the rumours and the sources. Obviously, it would be empty initially. I personally don’t have a problem with individual threads for each trade rumour. But I’m just one guy. What do people think?

I like it. The armchair GM stuff gets spread out and is a common 'aside' topic that maybe derails threads on occasion (I know I do this a lot with my posts). Good idea. +1

Goat Boy

Jun 8, 2011
Total concurrence. :handclap:

I hate the current format. I'm not interested in what random people throw out for trade proposals. I only want to see true rumours from reputable sources. I found reading through the rumours and proposals thread in the days leading up to the deadline to be highly annoying as I had to separate the legitimate posts from the made up garbage on my own.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
The whole point is to prevent us from having a board cluttered with too many threads about trade rumours.

I could see the benefits of separating the thread into a 'Trade and Free Agent Rumours' and an 'Armchair Proposals' thread. Unfortunately, the two often intermingle. Rumour about trading for player x leads someone to suggest we go after player y instead, and then they make a trade proposal about that.

Anyway, this is all me speaking for myself, not on behalf of all our board's mods.

Marty Straka

HFBoards Senior Citizen
Aug 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
I see no point in separating it at all.. It would it end up being the exact same thing but having 2 separate threads doing the same thing... as CH said.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Trades make their way on to the Around the NHL thread and usually there's a small discussion there anyways.

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
I'm not suggesting that trade rumours be excluded from the discussion in other threads, nor that proposals and lineups be excluded from a given trade rumour thread. Its natural that they will come up in the conversation.

I'm not sure what the issue is regarding the number of threads? There are thousands of threads. Similar discussions/comments come up in several of them. As a matter of fact, I just learned that trade rumours periodically come up in the "Around the NHL" thread. I'm ok with that but I'll never know as I don't read that thread.

Its just frustrating to have comb through page after page after page of trade proposals after trade proposals after trade proposals to find one true trade rumour.

True trade rumours won't be that frequent. There typically wont be much more than one ongoing at one time. And there will be long periods without any. That's why it would be nice to have one spot to find out if there are any new rumours. Without having to comb through page after page...

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I'm not suggesting that trade rumours be excluded from the discussion in other threads, nor that proposals and lineups be excluded from a given trade rumour thread. Its natural that they will come up in the conversation.

I'm not sure what the issue is regarding the number of threads? There are thousands of threads. Similar discussions/comments come up in several of them. As a matter of fact, I just learned that trade rumours periodically come up in the "Around the NHL" thread. I'm ok with that but I'll never know as I don't read that thread.

Its just frustrating to have comb through page after page after page of trade proposals after trade proposals after trade proposals to find one true trade rumour.

True trade rumours won't be that frequent. There typically wont be much more than one ongoing at one time. And there will be long periods without any. That's why it would be nice to have one spot to find out if there are any new rumours. Without having to comb through page after page...

If you wanna know what the most recent rumours are, just post asking what the most recent rumours are. :teach:

TrueGrit

Jul 3, 2006
Next proposals thread will be Trade Rumours and Proposals XXXX, I can't just ignore that history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad