Proposal coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
Daly is flexible but he needs something meaningful from the NHLPA. Apparantly, Goodenow is more concerned with playing chicken than preparing a proposal. Get it going Bob and get these guys playing hockey.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Goodenow was just on the radio (FAN 590).

There is no offer forthcoming, the rumour is false. Nothing has changed on either side, and no meetings are planned at this time.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Seachd said:
What? I could just as easily write an article with a headline that says: "Tying Revenue to Salaries Unacceptable: Goodenow".

No no. Owners are inflexible. Players refusal to negotiate is just "the righteous fight of the working man trying to avoid indentured servitude".

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I just caught molsons ''thats hockey'' which had several interviews (Goodenow) and another one with Meehan and Baizely .

none of the interviews led me to believe that the nhlpa had a proposal coming forth .

however , the analysts (Mckenzie,brian burke,glenn healy)believed that there will be something (new offer) presented to Bettman before the drop dead date which will be more meaningful than the last one , but wont tie salaries to rev.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Isles72 said:
however , the analysts (Mckenzie,brian burke,glenn healy)believed that there will be something (new offer) presented to Bettman before the drop dead date which will be more meaningful than the last one , but wont tie salaries to rev.

Or there could be a proposal coming, where players would accept a hard cap. :) It could tie salaries to revenues, let's say stating that players get 150% of revenues. Or a salary cap of 500 million US$ per team, including a cap of 100 mill on individual player salary. Surely owners would rather negotiate on this than any luxury cap?

Or there could be an announcement coming, that the NHLPA members have written a legal agreement where everyone of the current 700-1000 players would agree to pay 99% of their salaries to Goodenow if they agreed to play in the capped system NHL during the next 10 years, for Goodenow to donate the money to charity of his choice. :)

It's much more useful to just wait until the proposals actually come out in not so distant future, than to speculate in-depth on non-existent.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
chara said:
Daly is flexible but he needs something meaningful from the NHLPA. Apparantly, Goodenow is more concerned with playing chicken than preparing a proposal. Get it going Bob and get these guys playing hockey.

Nothing is stopping Bettman from making a proposal.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
go kim johnsson said:
Nothing is stopping Bettman from making a proposal.

Except for the players not wanting to link salaries to revenues? Which is an outright joke, considering NO business in the world can operate without incorporating some sort of relationship between their revenues, and how much they pay their employees.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
It sounds like that until the owners accept that there wont be cost certainty, that instead they must restructure and be responsible, I dont see what offer the PA could put forward. It doesnt really matter at the moment anyway. We all know if Bettman has gone this far, he is going to make that announcement that the season is cancelled. Then there will a short time to make a deal or have something happen. I think the players will put forth an idea that will be better for the owners to accept than reject, although it wont be cost certainty, it will adress a lot of their cba related real problems. The only reason I can think of for the season to be cancelled would be because the owners have a larger agenda. And Bettman doesnt care about hockey fans.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
puck you said:
Except for the players not wanting to link salaries to revenues? Which is an outright joke, considering NO business in the world can operate without incorporating some sort of relationship between their revenues, and how much they pay their employees.

And yet the NHL refuses to follow this simple business principle. Instead they hide their management incompetence behind fuzzy little innocuous phrases like cost certainty. It is something that no other industry needs legislated for them. Its simply common sense.

However when players are rich and fans petty, its a phrase that can be used to great advantage in labour negotiations.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
thinkwild said:
And yet the NHL refuses to follow this simple business principle. Instead they hide their management incompetence behind fuzzy little innocuous phrases like cost certainty. It is something that no other industry needs legislated for them. Its simply common sense.

However when players are rich and fans petty, its a phrase that can be used to great advantage in labour negotiations.

The NFL, and the NBA seem to be doing fine with cost certainty. And I think their owners, and their players would argue its necessary in their respective leagues.

Brent Burns Beard