Pronman Top Prospects 2019

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I asked him in the comments about why Kakko's physical abilites have not impressed him and his answer was:

Ya I'd change that in hindsight, I wrote that a few weeks ago. Talking to scout friends last week they also commented how well he was winning battles. When I saw him last year I didn't see that.

He has not even seen the guy who's ranked #2 on his list play this season.

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
I asked him in the comments about why Kakko's physical abilites have not impressed him and his answer was:

Ya I'd change that in hindsight, I wrote that a few weeks ago. Talking to scout friends last week they also commented how well he was winning battles. When I saw him last year I didn't see that.

Amazes me this guy still has a job...

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
This season is like... two weeks old. Even if he had seen the guy play this season, it wouldn't be a huge sample size of play.
Nah. Kakko has been super super impressive in his 10 Liiga games, plus the CHL games and preseason games. That's enough sample size. It's absurd that he hasn't watched a guy and then calls his easily most impressive qualities "not wow'ing". Liiga season started almost a month ago (plus CHL and preaseason)

Reactions: LAINEC

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
Why does this guy even cover prospects? His descriptions for some of the players are so far off...just bizarre.

Reactions: LAINEC

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Baffling update.

Highlights: Owen Tippett at #3, Bode Wilde at #21, Ruslan Iskhakov at #30.
Credibility? This is the same guy who had Pettersson as the #10 ranked prospect, going into the season, with Heiskanen at #14. I find a lot of his lists are just hot takes and contrarian opinions designed to elicit clicks and subscriptions.
I used to like Pronman and thought his lists were well researched and unique, albeit unconventional to the point of contrarian. What makes him stand out is he takes great lengths to be impartial and independent, in that he clearly isn't influenced by consensus opinion and bases his opinions on his own viewings and analysis.

Having said that... I think where he went disastrously wrong is going too far in that direction. If you try to watch every single prospect and form an opinion exclusively on those viewings, you're not going to get a large enough sample size for precise or reliable evaluations. There's a reason NHL teams employ several scouts covering their own regions. Now he's useless.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Still remember when he had Johnny Hockey at 42 after his 2 Ppg season.

He also said “I don’t see what Johnny does well” “he’s small and not especially skilled”

He then proceeded to go back and edit his post and he placed Gaudreau at 12 after a year. The guy is a loser with zero insight into prospects

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I think pronman is a good prospect evaluator, but he simply doesn’t have enough time to see all of the players he is “evaluating”. It’s impossible with the grind of a season. That’s why many teams have 20+ Scouts Who strictly watch a primary league or two. I think Corey refers to other scouts views too much and it could benefit him to not try and speak to things he isn’t 100% on. I overall do value corey’s Opinion; you just have to take it with a grain of salt.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

I've heard criticism about his skating too, and that's one of the qualities I really consider to be his strengths. Nonetheless, we're talking about a professional scout here. If he's not seen him i) why have Kakko ranked #2 at all? ii) why make comments about his traits (good or bad) in the begin with? Kinda sad when a well-known scout hasn't bothered to watch a single game of him the entire year. You'd imagine he'd at least watch the WJC (though Kakko didn't get to play that much there compared to ice time in FEL).

Leopain

Jun 15, 2017
I've heard criticism about his skating too, and that's one of the qualities I really consider to be his strengths. Nonetheless, we're talking about a professional scout here. If he's not seen him i) why have Kakko ranked #2 at all? ii) why make comments about his traits (good or bad) in the begin with? Kinda sad when a well-known scout hasn't bothered to watch a single game of him the entire year. You'd imagine he'd at least watch the WJC (though Kakko didn't get to play that much there compared to ice time in FEL).

Look at the date of the article and the comment.

It is not that surprising that he hadn't seen him this season based on the fact that the season started a month ago. He probably ranked him based on what he'd seen of him last year and during the U18.

God the amount of hate directed towards Pronman is just astonishing.

HC7

May 2, 2018
Someone like Button has some interesting rankings, however always has a reason. A lot of times you can see why he says what he does.

Pronman on the other hand is clueless. It's his opinion so w/e, but I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Leopain

Jun 15, 2017
Someone like Button has some interesting rankings, however always has a reason. A lot of times you can see why he says what he does.

Pronman on the other hand is clueless. It's his opinion so w/e, but I'd take it with a grain of salt.

You see, I'd say it is the exact opposite. Button explains his top 10, often with only one sentence for each and then, we just have the names and no explanation whatsoever.

Pronman has a chart, he writes a paragraph on each player. He is often wrong, but we definitely can see why he says what he does.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

It is not that surprising that he hadn't seen him this season based on the fact that the season started a month ago. He probably ranked him based on what he'd seen of him last year and during the U18.

Ah s***. Looks like I didn't even bother to check up on the dates on this topic, ha. My bad.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
The Pronman hate is hilarious, if you follow the guy on twitter you know he travels to see a lot of these prospects as much as he can, he always values skill over anything else but that's how he does his rankings. Crazy that someone said Button does a better job than Pronman, definitely do not agree with that.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I never agree with the order of how he actually “ranks” the prospects too much, but I like Pronman. I think he gives me a good idea of how players play and their styles.

You have to read Pronman’s own explanation for his rankings— he explains his preferences for forwards over dmen, bias towards skill, huge preference for talented high ceiling guys, etc. It’s definitely a weird ranking/tier system, but once you understand the context it makes more sense. I find his stuff pretty useful and knowledgeable.

I respect the hustle too- he went in depth on almost every NHL affiliated prospect in the summer, which was cool.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Leopain

Jun 15, 2017
I never agree with the order of how he actually “ranks” the prospects too much, but I like Pronman. I think he gives me a good idea of how players play and their styles.

You have to read Pronman’s own explanation for his rankings— he explains his preferences for forwards over dmen, bias towards skill, huge preference for talented high ceiling guys, etc. It’s definitely a weird ranking/tier system, but once you understand the context it makes more sense. I find his stuff pretty useful and knowledgeable.

I respect the hustle too- he went in depth on almost every NHL affiliated prospect in the summer, which was cool.

Yeah that's it actually. To appreciate his work you have to read the content of his evaluations, the rankings in themselves are a lot less important/meaningful.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad