Pronman: Top 123 NHL prospects entering the 2019-20 season

Our boys:

17. Philip Broberg
26. Evan Bouchard
78. Dmitri Samorukov
84. Tyler Benson
86. Raphael Lavoie
93. Kailer Yamamoto

What do you think? I'm mostly ok with the list though I wanted to see Bouchard a bit higher (he's behind Noah Dobson for example, who I personally don't think is better).

Can post more information from the article if it's allowed.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I like Pronman’s analysis. I think he’s pretty good.

He does have his biases however, especially towards skill and skating.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I think Jones deserves to be there, but our guys are ranked pretty well imo.

I'd have switched Bouchard and Broberg though.

Reactions: nturn06

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
He's consistent at least. He's always said he thinks Broberg is better than Bouchard.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Pretty reasonable bias.
Not when you put Q.Hughes in top 5 (4th?) on your list and have Bouchard in late 20's.
Bouchard is just as good as Boqvist\Hughes overall but the other 2 are faster\flashier. The same goes for Broberg. He is up there for no reason other than his speed.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Not when you put Q.Hughes in top 5 (4th?) on your list and have Bouchard in late 20's.
Bouchard is just as good as Boqvist\Hughes overall but the other 2 are faster\flashier. The same goes for Broberg. He is up there for no reason other than his speed.
Boqvist and Bouchard are close, Hughes is a tier above

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
Oh for sure. It's nearly impossible to remain objective. I was just giving Tad a hard time.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Fits about right for me. I would have Lavoie up higher there. Its very confusing when you have a mixed draft list like this because draft years are obviously different and so some unfair comparisons due to that. Is there any weighting factor that compensates for draft year bias? i.e. past years drafts should be higher ranked by now just based on development/age.

I'm asking if theres a weighting factor accounted for in the analysis because the article is behind a pay wall.

Its why I think Lavoie should be higher, and benefit of doubt given as he hasn't been afforded the same time duration in the comparisons. I would think he would rise up that list in subsequent years.

Impressive that Broberg is so high not that I dispute it.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Fits about right for me. I would have Lavoie up higher there. Its very confusing when you have a mixed draft list like this because draft years are obviously different and so some unfair comparisons due to that. Is there any weighting factor that compensates for draft year bias? i.e. past years drafts should be higher ranked by now just based on development/age.

I'm asking if theres a weighting factor accounted for in the analysis because the article is behind a pay wall.

Its why I think Lavoie should be higher, and benefit of doubt given as he hasn't been afforded the same time duration in the comparisons. I would think he would rise up that list in subsequent years.

Impressive that Broberg is so high not that I dispute it.
It's weird seeing you like some of our prospects

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The org is under new management and I've liked the Broberg and Lavoie picks all along. Been down with Bouchard all along. Good players.
You know the org is doing good things when you have something outside of Draisaitl to be happy about

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You know the org is doing good things when you have something outside of Draisaitl to be happy about

I'm happy Chia is gone, happy Lucic is gone, happy Spooner is gone, happy we still have McD, Nurse, happy we get fresh standings on a new season. Happy the sun is shining.

happy happy joy joy

Its not even Friday...;)

Reactions: KingKhron

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
The day Broberg was drafted, this board was collapsing like the end of the world. Now he's rated top 20 in the NHL and everyone here is in denial. Goes to show how disconnected the fanbase is with the people who actually get paid to do the pro-scouting and the expert writers. When Broberg was drafted, I bet nobody here would consider him a top 20 prospect in the NHL. Now that he's rated as one, there's always something to criticize about.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Kind of an important quality to have in what is considered a fast sport?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The day Broberg was drafted, this board was collapsing like the end of the world. Now he's rated top 20 in the NHL and everyone here is in denial. Goes to show how disconnected the fanbase is with the people who actually get paid to do the pro-scouting and the expert writers. When Broberg was drafted, I bet nobody here would consider him a top 20 prospect in the NHL. Now that he's rated as one, there's always something to criticize about.
I mean, there is what 3-4 guys ahead of him on this list that were drafted after him?

Most didn't say he was a horrible player or would be horrible, just not the best choice at 8. This article doesn't change that

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Paajarvi, Aberg and even Puljujarvi would suggest perhaps not.

Great quality for sure but shouldn't be the only thing.

Speed is huge, but obviously you still need hockey sense and hands. Also Puljujarvi is not a good skater. Aberg and Paajarvi are though, still can't believe Paajarvi was a bust. Seemed like a stud.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->