Pronger's status?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
He was at the draft and was actually saying he is feeling better. Having a little problem with his eyes still but he is feeling good. One major difference with him was his attitude. He was cracking jokes with reporters and that large smile of his was back for the first time in a while. He might not play hockey again, but he is certainly making strides in his recovery. Which is really all the Flyer fans ask for.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Just curious, and figured you guys might have insight: What's Pronger's status? I've heard he may not play this season. Is he struggling with post concussion syndrome still? Any insight would be appreciated?

It is not as much his Post Concussion symptoms as it is his vision. He lost a great deal of his peripheral vision, which makes him very vulnerable because he would not see guys gunning for him and would not be able to protect himself. It is unlikely he plays again for that reason...since they don't know if it will get better or not.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
He conducted an interview with TSN at the recent draft.

Pronger gave some welcome good news about his own condition to TSN's Ryan Rishaug on the TV broadcast, saying it's more about his vision than anything else. Whether he ever plays again is almost irrelevant—at times, his quality of life in the wake of the injury has been terrible. Frankly, it was nice seeing him. Hockey's different without him.

"(I'm) just doing what I'm told to do, and hopefully it continues to progress," Pronger said. "It's going slowly, but any progression at this stage is good."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/sto...l-morin-flyers-scouting-report-nhl-draft-2013

This is a recent thread with information, too: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1144459&page=18

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I watched the pre-draft show and what doesn't come across from the quotes is the slight pause when asked how he was feeling and the emphasis he put on the vision issues. I actually think the later is what will ultimately preclude him from coming back... long term vision impairment and loss of peripheral vision. His comments lead me to believe that the headaches are either gone or few/far between. Unfortunately, a loss of peripheral vision is crippling a 360 degree sport like hockey.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
He looked like the Pronger of old to a degree, which as you all have said, is great to see.

n62

Oct 18, 2011
Dry Island
I hope for his and his family's sake he never tries to play again. Just focus on getting healthy for the next phase of his life.
Man I wish visors would have been made mandatory years ago.

JoeFlyer

Jul 3, 2011
UK
He's deffo done. When he was talking about things being better at the Draft I took it to mean the quality of his everyday life is better. Not that he's making progress towards ever playing again. Some of the things that he was going through this time last year (I think) were pretty grim, like just sitting around at home and basically not wanting to move and stuff because of how it made him feel...

RJ8812*

He still looks like he's in good shape though. I mean, just look at Tony Amonte...

screen_shot_2013-05-13_at_2.00.07_am.png

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I could see the Flyers organization grooming him for GM/Head Coach in the coming years.

As for his playing career, I believe his is done.

I kind of actually disagree with this.

IN all his interviews at the draft , reporters were kind of pigoen holing him in a flyers management position, and he seemed very resistant of such a notion.

I honestly think he seriously wants to try to play again, and being away from the game is literally unbearable to him. He said he scouted for homer because he just wanted to help the team in anyway he can. I think he struggling with the notion that his career may be over and he is not mentally ready to accept that.

JoeFlyer

Jul 3, 2011
UK
wut...?

Jan/Feb 2016? He should never play again, for his health and family's sake.

Exactly. Also we wouldn't be able to fit him under the cap. The fact we're using it up probably tells you everything about the likelyhood of him playing ever again.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Exactly. Also we wouldn't be able to fit him under the cap. The fact we're using it up probably tells you everything about the likelyhood of him playing ever again.

Well the cap will rise again starting next offseason, and Timonen's contract will probably come off the books, as he's likely to retire. Most will likely be spent signing Giroux, Couts, and Schenn (and maybe Read). So salary cap isn't too much of an issue for Pronger's contract right now.

RJ8812*

The people that keep saying there's a chance he comes back are the same kinds of people that have said they're going to get that old '67 Mustang in their back yard restored every year for the last 10 years

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
wut...?

Jan/Feb 2016? He should never play again, for his health and family's sake.

While caution should rule the day, I think I'll defer to the doctors for the medical evaluations. No doctor is going to sign off on him playing again unless there is literally extraordinary rationale to consider it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad