Pronger the Idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Yeah!

A). The Owners will not let a third party look at the books because they will notice that they are not losing the ammount of money that they say they are, and that they would face some insurance fraud.
B). The Owners are complaining that the playesr are overpaid? They started signing people at outragous contracts.... They started it, now they should have to deal with it......They should have thought of this before signing players for multi-million dollar contracts.
C). Owners should not be signing players to contracts thoughout this past months and they have been. "Ohh Yeah. boo hoo were in finacial jeopordy" MY ass... if you were in so much fincial loss, you wouldn't be signing ANYONE, until a new CBA is reached!!!!!!!!!
D). Start talking, who do they expect to make a deal for them????? If they don't wanna talk, break the league, and start a new league with a NEW COMMISH, AND CBA LEADER!!!!! :dunno:

there much more but I have to study for exams..... you guys can add more :teach:

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
to all of those who say they cant understand the hatred for the players, i say this

there is a difference between hatred of players and hatred of the of the players association. sure maybe a few players are behing hated on, but mostly its just the union itself we have a problem with.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
thinkwild said:
It wont tie salaries to revenues. Still want to hear it?

Absolutely. So what is your plan to set average salaries to $1.3m or below, have payrolls averaging $31m or less and stay in tune with the growth in revenue?

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
DementedReality said:
ok, so lets say the players say to the NHL ... "we give up, lets talk about your cap (under the conditions set above by "djhn579")"

now, would your opinion change on this issue if the owners didnt want to give up that much information and lose that much control of their business ?

just imagine, maybe the owners dont really want the players to know this information, because what you are suggesting is a whole lot more invasive than the current URO system the league wants.

dr
If the players came to a reasonable agreement of what is considered hockey revenue, and agreed to link payroll to that revenue, I would find it a lot easier to support the players side. So far though, when I hear players saying things along the lines of "the owners are getting money from other ventures, and that should be counted with hockey income", they are not being reasonable.

The owners have offered repeatedly to have the players hire an auditor to go over the NHL's books, the NHLPA has refused. The NHL hired their own auditor to look over thier books, and the auditor has offered to discuss his findings with the NHLPA, again the NHLPA has refused. From this, it doesn't look like the owners would mind if the NHLPA looked at their books.

I wonder how complicated the owners other operations really are to figure out. If an owner has their own cable network, their will be numbers available for how many people tune in to watch the hockey games, that number can be used to determine how much subscribers contribute to the cable system for hockey. The owners would also be selling commercial time for spots during the games. This should be easy to see and have confirmed through the company paying for those spots. Outside of that, what other income would the owners be getting from the cable network due to the hockey players?

If the owners own the arena, the only things that are hockey revenue are tickets sold for the game, concessions and merchandise sold at the games, a percentage of luxury box revenue based on other events held in the arena, and a percentage of advertising revenue based on the total number of people attending events in the arena vs those attending hockey games. There are different ways to establish what those percentages should be, but a couple of good lawyers should be able to figure that out in a reasonable amount of time.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
djhn579 said:
There are different ways to establish what those percentages should be, but a couple of good lawyers should be able to figure that out in a reasonable amount of time.

ok, and what if the owners only want the current URO's to be the sole guide to this. I am willing to bet that if the owners had to give up the sort of information and access to it you dreamers think is so "matter of fact", they wouldnt agree to it.

and by the way, the buyers of the "ads" are under no obligation to reveal how much they paid to the cable company, unless they are a public company themselves.

why do you dreamers think its so easy to just "report this", & "declare that".

DR

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
DementedReality said:
ok, and what if the owners only want the current URO's to be the sole guide to this. I am willing to bet that if the owners had to give up the sort of information and access to it you dreamers think is so "matter of fact", they wouldnt agree to it.

and by the way, the buyers of the "ads" are under no obligation to reveal how much they paid to the cable company, unless they are a public company themselves.

why do you dreamers think its so easy to just "report this", & "declare that".

DR

Compared to "It's just too complicated to figure out..." or "The owners have two sets of books, so we won't even look at anything and try to come to an agreement..." or "the owners are hiding hockey revenue, though we couldn't be bothered defining what we think actually should be considered hockey revenue..."

If the owners and players sit down and discuss what is and is not hockey revenue, and put it in a contract complete with ways to accurately verify the information being reported, it is as easy as "report this" and "declare that"

But then, it is a lot less work to sit back and claim that the owners are lying... Why get unnecessarily bogged down in details that may make the relationship between players and owners less adversarial. What good could that possibly be? :dunno:

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
The owners dont need to go through this to know what they can afford.

Why do you keep saying the players havent said what they define as revenue? They looked at 4 sets of books, and found $50mil that they determined to be hockey revenue. Or put it this way, now that they arent playing, this alleged non-hockey revenue stream has dried up. Owners themselves have admitted they value their businesses different than the way they presented them on their UROs. Such as Phi or NYR. Or Chicago with the most luxury boxes, allegedly declaring $0 in luxury box revenue.

Brent Burns Beard