Pronger Out of the World Cup - TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
One last thing to remember: With the exception of 1996, 1999 and 2000, Canada has produced at least one elite-level defenceman every year, starting with Aucoin in 1992. (Pronger and McCabe in 1993, Jovanovski in 1994, Redden in 95, Brewer and Hannan in 1997, Stuart and Regher in 1998). Hamhuis in 2001, Bouwmeester in 2002, Phaneuf and Coburn in 2003 and Barker in 2004 seem destined to join that group. Defence is not a problem. After goaltending and playmaking centres, it's been our strong suit the past dozen years.

When we lost to the Yanks in 1996, Blake was coming off a torn ACL, Bourque said no and MacInnis got hurt. We were carrying Sylvain Cote, Doug Bodger and Lyle Odelein, for crying out loud. Our defenceman production stream had hit a lul. Even with our best nine guys, we would have lagged behind the Americans on the blue line. Now, the roles have reversed. We're the ones with top young talent on the blue line, and they're the ones who have to bring in suspect players (Hal Gill).

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
Well, on the Brewer topic - we're seeing some extremes on both sides. To imply the whole world is out to get Oilers and that Oilers never get respect is bogus. However, to see people completely leave Brewer off lists, and then to imply he's a bad pick and of no use to Canada is even more idiotic.

Brewer and Jovo will now both step into Blake and Prongers place as the big, tough, and skilled Dmen. Scott N. isn't tough enough, same with Redden and Foote doesn't have the natural talent. I am expecting to see Dmen gets 20 minute (Jovo, Redden, Brewer), 2 get 25 (Foote, Neids - Foote because he'll play more PK and Neids for PP minutes), while the sixth guy only sees about 10 minutes (Regehr/Jbo/Hannan).

How is that possible? Well, one of Foote or Neidermayer plays with the sixth guy, but they play ALOT of special teams.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
God Bless Canada said:
One last thing to remember: With the exception of 1996, 1999 and 2000, Canada has produced at least one elite-level defenceman every year, starting with Aucoin in 1992. (Pronger and McCabe in 1993, Jovanovski in 1994, Redden in 95, Brewer and Hannan in 1997, Stuart and Regher in 1998). Hamhuis in 2001, Bouwmeester in 2002, Phaneuf and Coburn in 2003 and Barker in 2004 seem destined to join that group. Defence is not a problem. After goaltending and playmaking centres, it's been our strong suit the past dozen years.

When we lost to the Yanks in 1996, Blake was coming off a torn ACL, Bourque said no and MacInnis got hurt. We were carrying Sylvain Cote, Doug Bodger and Lyle Odelein, for crying out loud. Our defenceman production stream had hit a lul. Even with our best nine guys, we would have lagged behind the Americans on the blue line. Now, the roles have reversed. We're the ones with top young talent on the blue line, and they're the ones who have to bring in suspect players (Hal Gill).
What about Jackman and Boynton from 1999?
They may become elite defencemen yet.

degroat*

With the other players he listed there as 'elite', then Jackman and Boyton definately do deserve to be listed... as do about 25 other defensemen.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
arrbez said:
niedermayer
foote
jovonovski
redden
*edit* brewer (somehow forgot him)
regehr
hannan
bouwmeester

lidstrom
ohlund
tarnstrom
backman
tjarnqvist
johnnson
norstrom

Canada is still better in my books, especially on the smaller ice, but it's definitly a lot closer now without blake and pronger
It is closer now, but you forgot Marcus Ragnarsson.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
thome_26 said:
Well, on the Brewer topic - we're seeing some extremes on both sides. To imply the whole world is out to get Oilers and that Oilers never get respect is bogus. However, to see people completely leave Brewer off lists, and then to imply he's a bad pick and of no use to Canada is even more idiotic.

Brewer and Jovo will now both step into Blake and Prongers place as the big, tough, and skilled Dmen. Scott N. isn't tough enough, same with Redden and Foote doesn't have the natural talent. I am expecting to see Dmen gets 20 minute (Jovo, Redden, Brewer), 2 get 25 (Foote, Neids - Foote because he'll play more PK and Neids for PP minutes), while the sixth guy only sees about 10 minutes (Regehr/Jbo/Hannan).

How is that possible? Well, one of Foote or Neidermayer plays with the sixth guy, but they play ALOT of special teams.

I think you are going to be disappointed in Brewer's icetime. He is not going to be a top 4 d-man on Team Canada. That would be a travesty. Niedermayer, Foote, Jovanovski & Redden will be the top 4 (all easily better than Brewer). Regehr will be #5 and Brewer likely #6.

I see Brewer as a player that made the team based more on the Olympics than his play since (ala Gagne). The coaching staff will not be comfortable with Brewer as a top 4 IMO. Neither will the rest of the country to be honest.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Remember: Boynton was originally drafted in 1997. I'd list him there, rather than his re-entry year. Compare him with those his age. And I don't think he's going to be an elite defenceman, a very good defenceman, yes, but not elite.

As for Jackman, this is an important year for him. He's going to have to show that his rookie year wasn' a fluke, and that he can be a dominant defensive defenceman.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
God Bless Canada said:
Remember: Boynton was originally drafted in 1997. I'd list him there, rather than his re-entry year. Compare him with those his age. And I don't think he's going to be an elite defenceman, a very good defenceman, yes, but not elite.

As for Jackman, this is an important year for him. He's going to have to show that his rookie year wasn' a fluke, and that he can be a dominant defensive defenceman.
That's true about Jackman but personally I would rather have Boynton then Brewer. Maybe I'm being a bit biased but that's my opinion.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Garfield said:
I think you are going to be disappointed in Brewer's icetime. He is not going to be a top 4 d-man on Team Canada. That would be a travesty. Niedermayer, Foote, Jovanovski & Redden will be the top 4 (all easily better than Brewer). Regehr will be #5 and Brewer likely #6.

I see Brewer as a player that made the team based more on the Olympics than his play since (ala Gagne). The coaching staff will not be comfortable with Brewer as a top 4 IMO. Neither will the rest of the country to be honest.
Regehr shouldn't be on the team. The only reason he got on there is because of how well he played in the playoffs. He wasn't even on the radar when they first started talking about naming defensemen.

Gretzky even stated that he sees Brewer as a top 4.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Hemsky83 said:
Regehr shouldn't be on the team. The only reason he got on there is because of how well he played in the playoffs. He wasn't even on the radar when they first started talking about naming defensemen.

1) Regehr > Brewer

2) Canada is screwed with Brewer as a top 4. Niedermayer, Foote, Jovanovski, Redden & Regehr are all better than Brewer. Possibly even Hannan as well. If Brewer is anything more than a #5/6 in this tourney, K-Lo was pulling some massive strings.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I like Brewer, him being a PG Cougar and all, but I don't think he should be any higher than third pairing on this team. He's still got holes in its defensive game, and I must have watched a different tournament than everyone else this summer because I didn't think he was good at all during the WCs; he was handling the puck like a grenade and missed several defensive assignments.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Epsilon said:
I like Brewer, him being a PG Cougar and all, but I don't think he should be any higher than third pairing on this team. He's still got holes in its defensive game, and I must have watched a different tournament than everyone else this summer because I didn't think he was good at all during the WCs; he was handling the puck like a grenade and missed several defensive assignments.

So it wasn't just me. I also saw a very mediocre Eric Brewer at the worlds. He has to be one of the most overrated defencemen in the NHL right now.

Niedermayer - Foote
Jovanovski - Redden
Regehr - Brewer
---------------
Hannan - Bouwmeester

That's how I see the pairings at the World Cup. Just noticed, only one right handed shot from the blueline.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Garfield said:
So it wasn't just me. I also saw a very mediocre Eric Brewer at the worlds. He has to be one of the most overrated defencemen in the NHL right now.

Niedermayer - Foote
Jovanovski - Redden
Regehr - Brewer
---------------
Hannan - Bouwmeester

That's how I see the pairings at the World Cup. Just noticed, only one right handed shot from the blueline.
:lol :lol Regehr was picked after the 6 from the Olympics. The 4 from the Olympic team still left are Niedermayer, Foote, Jovanovski and Brewer. In the World Championships, wasn't Brewer paired with Niedermayer. Stop overrating Regehr. BTW, when the Olympic team was announced, it was Quinn and Hitchcock that wanted Brewer on the team. Lowe didn't say anything. Every watch "Gold Rush 2002." It's time you should.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Hemsky83 said:

C'mon, you don't have to flat-out lie just because you're an Oil fan and don't like Flames players. Regehr was named to the "short-list" well before the playoffs even started (February 11th). Regehr also had a very good regular season but most people only payed attention to him in the playoffs.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040211.wworldcup11/BNStory/Sports/

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Hemsky83 said:
:lol :lol Regehr was picked after the 6 from the Olympics. The 4 from the Olympic team still left are Niedermayer, Foote, Jovanovski and Brewer. In the World Championships, wasn't Brewer paired with Niedermayer. Stop overrating Regehr. BTW, when the Olympic team was announced, it was Quinn and Hitchcock that wanted Brewer on the team. Lowe didn't say anything. Every watch "Gold Rush 2002." It's time you should.

I own it actually. Just because Brewer was on the Olympic team does not mean he will play over Regehr. I am not overrating Regehr at all. I have him at #5 on the depth chart, ahead of Brewer, Hannan & J-Bo.

Gretzky said that Regehr was ahead of Redden on the depth chart but I am realistic enough to see that Redden will likely move ahead of Regehr. Why can't you be realistic enough to see Brewer for what he is, a #6, #5 at best. Most will argue that he should not even be on the team. I am not overrating or underrating anyone. You are overrating Brewer and underrating Regehr & Redden if you think Brewer is top 4 material.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
what a nice situation to be in, controversey and heated debate b/c....Eric Brewer is on the team?

Speaks about the defensive depth in Canada.

Could be much worse dudes, we could have Gill. :teach:

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Lionel Hutz said:
what a nice situation to be in, controversey and heated debate b/c....Eric Brewer is on the team?

True dat.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Lionel Hutz said:

Yeah, I guess, although it's probable Gill doesn't get big time minutes, so it's really not that big of a deal. He can be useful in the right situation, especially on the NHL sized ice surface.

Phanuthier*

Hemsky83 said:

Classic case of pot calling kettle

Remember this dump you left?

Hemsky83 said:
Why is it that the Oilers players are the ones constantly getting criticized. When the team was announced, who was it criticized that shouldn't be on there. Yup, the two players from the Oilers. Why can't Regehr or Hannan be on the bench. Why does it have to be Hannan. Same with Smyth. Someone in a paper mentioned that Smyth could quite possible be in the PB. Funny that only the Oilers players get mentioned for the PB but none of the other players. :banghead:

BTW, where does Gretz say Brewer is on the top 4 defenseman? Because I can prove Regehr was selected No 7 initially, ahead of Redden. Meaning right now, he'd be Gretzky's No 5 choice on Team Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad