Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=94990

Pronger pulls out of World Cup

TSN.ca Staff

8/15/2004

Chris Pronger has withdrawn from the World Cup of Hockey TSN has learned.

Sources told TSN that the big defenceman tweaked his previously injured right knee while training. Although the injury is not considered major, it is enough to force him to withdraw from the World Cup of hockey, which starts Aug. 31st for Team Canada.

Pronger apparently informed Hockey Canada of his decision to withdraw today.

A replacement will be named from a group that is likely to include Jay Bouwmeester, Brian McCabe and Brad Stuart, amongst others.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
There's no way Bouwmeester should be on the team when there are other defensemen with more experience (including playoff experience) and better results over the last few years. This isn't USA basketball where players are chosen to sell jerseys and hype the NBA.

rulin

Jan 30, 2004
My jaw literally dropped when I saw this. This can't be ****ing true.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Ouch. That's Canada's top 2 defensemen gone. :eek:

We've gone from

Pronger
Blake
Niedermayer
Foote
Jovanovski
Redden
----------
Brewer
Regehr

to

Niedermayer
Foote
Jovanovski
Redden
Brewer
Regehr
----------
Hannan
McCabe/Aucoin/Bouwmeester/whoever

Can't say I like that one bit. :(

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
colonel_korn said:
Ouch. That's Canada's top 2 defensemen gone. :eek:

We've gone from

Pronger
Blake
Niedermayer
Foote
Jovanovski
Redden
----------
Brewer
Regehr

to

Niedermayer
Foote
Jovanovski
Redden
Brewer
Regehr
----------
Hannan
McCabe/Aucoin/Bouwmeester/whoever

Can't say I like that one bit. :(

It could be worse, Hal Gill could be on the Canadian team.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Epsilon said:
There's no way Bouwmeester should be on the team when there are other defensemen with more experience (including playoff experience) and better results over the last few years. This isn't USA basketball where players are chosen to sell jerseys and hype the NBA.

Since it's on north american ice I agree, however if it was on international sized rinks Bouwmeester would have been quite possibly the best pick IMO.

rulin

Jan 30, 2004
I always thought Bouwmeester would be the next in line, if another defenceman were to withdraw. But losing Pronger is a really big blow, so I think Aucoin should be seriously considered. He really doesn't get the respect he deserves.

Vic Rattlehead*

You know what, I'm STILL confident in Canada's defence. Pronger is a blow no doubt, but if we lose because of a couple of players withdrawing, what kind of team would we be?

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Too many of the replacement choices seem to be based on hype, either from the most recent playoffs, or from being considered a future star. There should have been more emphasis placed on experience and consistent performances over a longer stretch of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad