Promote New Fighters

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Ronda Rousey just lost, and is likely gone for good/long period of time.
Sage Northcutt got massive promotion and a big push, and has folded.
Paige VanZant has gotten big pushes, has been dominated (Rose/Waterson) and has said she's leaving for a bit.
Jon Jones is suspended until July.
Cyborg Santos just got busted for PEDs again.
Conor McGregor claims to be out until after May.

The UFC always picks who they like to push heavily, regardless of skill. A lot of this has backfired. If it were up to you, who would you push to the moon, along with giving big time pushes to? I'll do mine.

Mega-push - Khabib Nurmagomedov
I absolutely think he can be a mega superstar in this sport. He's got a huge, huge following in Russia. He's 24-0 and is just 28. Issue is his injury problems but he has managed to fight twice this, dominating both fights. He has personality, and while his style can bore some at times, I think it's exciting seeing him rag doll grown men. What he did to Michael Johnson was insane. He destroyed Rafael dos Anjos. His striking needs work, but I think he has superstar quality in and out of the cage.

Push - Emil Weber Meek
Has a really cool look and is just 28 years old coming into his game. He's from Norway and goes with a Viking style. I was at UFC 206 and he had a massive following there with a section having a jersey of his and they were going absolutely nuts for him. He's coming off a fairly good performance of Jordan Mein and a destruction of a top ten WW in Rousimar Palhares. I think this guy can become a consistent top ten guy, don't think he becomes a champion, but a pretty household name to fans and can headline International cards and become a fan favourite in North America.

Push - Cody Garbrandt
I thought Cruz was going to 50-45 him. He has a very exciting style, and his fight vs Cruz was just awesome. He had tons of swagger and has legit knockout power in a division where you don't see it often. I'm not sure if he's a long-term BW champion as TJ Dillashaw is coming, Dom Cruz is a master at gameplanning and should be coming back full force, Jimmie Rivera, and Marlon Moraes eventually coming over in the next little bit. TJ Dillashaw vs Cody Garbrandt could be a very big deal to many. Former training partners, rumours of beating the other one up in training until he cried, knockout in practice, the dislike, Team Alpha Male vs TJ Dillashaw, guys in the middle like Chad Mendes. Cool, cool fight brewing.

For the women, other than the champions, I don't know. Amanda Nunes and JJ yeah. I like Michelle Waterson but I could see her struggling. Karolina just fought and lost. Alexa Grasso is fairly hot but how good is she?

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Would like to see Misha Cirkunov start getting on some Fight Night main cards. Not ready for a massive push yet, but he could possibly become the new face of Canadian fighters. 4-0 UFC record, he at least deserves a good test.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Khabib is too unreliable to give a huge push to. You can't hang the company's well being on a guy who has fought 3 times in the last two years and someone who regularly pulls out of fights, imo...

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Would like to see Misha Cirkunov start getting on some Fight Night main cards. Not ready for a massive push yet, but he could possibly become the new face of Canadian fighters. 4-0 UFC record, he at least deserves a good test.

I just don't see him getting much further than he is now. Also don't see him getting over for casual guys. Canada needs a new star though. I think it was a mistake letting Rory MacDonald go in all honesty.

Khabib is too unreliable to give a huge push to. You can't hang the company's well being on a guy who has fought 3 times in the last two years and someone who regularly pulls out of fights, imo...

I get that. Thought of that. Went with him as my mega push. Who would you push to the moon?

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I just don't see him getting much further than he is now. Also don't see him getting over for casual guys. Canada needs a new star though. I think it was a mistake letting Rory MacDonald go in all honesty.

Well, he's #12 right now. Give him Corey Anderson or St. Preux. If he wins, give him Manuwa or Teixeira.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I get that. Thought of that. Went with him as my mega push. Who would you push to the moon?

I'd go with Max Holloway. Guy fights regularly, can do it all, and he's on a ten fight win streak.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Can't force lighter guys to the lime lite, they need to do that themselves MM vs Conor.

The fighters you named are top weight classes or pretty faces (and I got flack on here for taking about UFC on Fox). That sells. UFC feels "slow" because HW and LHW is stale, and UFC made MW a joke this year.

I'd push MWs. Feed off Bisping, promote Weidman (again), Souza, Romero.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Grasso is the best bet out of the the women.

As I mentioned, Vannata for the smaller weights.

185 and above is a bit more tricky. The best bet might be Rumble if he can beat Cormier.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Max Holloway deserves a push. Exciting style, great personality.

Garbrandt, his gifs and vids from the Cruz fight are already viral, chase that and push it.

Judging from the past few events, whoever they choose to promote, will get some over the top push, more than we've seen before.

Oct 15, 2008
Is this wwe now? Push? Which heel is going to turn face and get over?

Fighters create their own hype by winning their fights. The more spectacular the finish/performance the more of a "push" they get.

Blainer114*

Maverick
Jun 8, 2016
Toronto
Is this wwe now? Push? Which heel is going to turn face and get over?

Fighters create their own hype by winning their fights. The more spectacular the finish/performance the more of a "push" they get.

Have u watched ufc lately? With connor acting like a wwe heel everybodys doing it now, i personally am not a fan of the childish antics but it does hype up fights and a lot of fans buy it. Also ufc is running low on megastars so they need to promote and market some fighters anyway. Only thing is they used to do that with gsp and silva who would live up to the hype but now newer fighters like rousey has lost twice and is likely done, connor lost to diaz in their first fight and the younger ones northcutt and vanzant have lost two out of 3 i believe. You need someone to market around but theyre doing it with younger fighters who still need more exp as opposed to those who do aka tony ferguson, khabib, dj, tj, etc

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Have u watched ufc lately? With connor acting like a wwe heel everybodys doing it now, i personally am not a fan of the childish antics but it does hype up fights and a lot of fans buy it. Also ufc is running low on megastars so they need to promote and market some fighters anyway. Only thing is they used to do that with gsp and silva who would live up to the hype but now newer fighters like rousey has lost twice and is likely done, connor lost to diaz in their first fight and the younger ones northcutt and vanzant have lost two out of 3 i believe. You need someone to market around but theyre doing it with younger fighters who still need more exp as opposed to those who do aka tony ferguson, khabib, dj, tj, etc

Ronda - Nunez (very little hype) almost had as many PPV buys as Conor-Alvarez (STACKED card, heavily promoted)

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Yair Rodriguez is a guy UFC should promote heavily if they want to pierce that Mexican market. Rodriguez is a freak athlete with elite potential

Yah, Velasquez has been a dud in that sense. Injuries have really derailed what could've been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad