Projections

Status
Not open for further replies.

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
DARKSIDE said:
Zach Parise (Pat Lafontaine) Hopefully! And I'll get a little ahead of the game...
Travis Zajack (Bobby Smith).
Wow, that's great! New Jersey sitting on two future hall of famers that they stole somewhere mid 1st round.

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
McDonald19 said:
wow...I hope your wrong...otherwise Anaheim is in trouble.

Getzlaf a better more consistent version of Gratton and Perry more like a Jason Allison and the Ducks will be fine.

I think a Gratton-clone would be a fine catch for the Ducks. However, Perry is a much better junior player than Jason Bonsignore ever was, so I don't see that at all.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
kremlin said:
Holik projection of Getzlaf I can see, but Elias is a much more flashy player. Do you really think Getzlaf will be like that? He surely doesn't have the footspeed of Elias and I think he's more a guy that will run over people to score, instead of run by with slick moves.

Getzlaf is surprisingly slick. As flashy as Elias? No.... but he has certain things that seem similiar to me (the ability to be able to spot guys using the eyes on the back of his head) -but I suppose that there are other guys I could have used here too.

Getzlaf is such a big, complete package... which is why I used the Holik comparison (Getzlaf can also be pretty cheap)... however, I feel that Getzlaf has a higher upside (offense) than Holik.

Just my opinion though.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
My shortened list....I really like some of them...

8 Braydon Coburn (Mike Rathje)
9 Dion Phaneuf (Rob Blake)
14 Brent Seabrooke (Nick Boynton)
19 Ryan Getzlaf (Holik...maybe even Shanny...that's right... I said it)
21 Mark Stuart (Jason Smith)
25 Anthony Stewart (Mike Knuble)

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
Colt.45Orr said:
My shortened list....I really like some of them...

8 Braydon Coburn (Mike Rathje)

I like this one, I actually had Rathje in mind as well, but Coburn is just a much better skater.

9 Dion Phaneuf (Rob Blake)

I'm not a believer, sorry guys

14 Brent Seabrooke (Nick Boynton)

Could be, if he gets more physical

19 Ryan Getzlaf (Holik...maybe even Shanny...that's right... I said it)

Holik possibly, but most likely with less offense

21 Mark Stuart (Jason Smith)

Pretty good yeah, maybe less nasty

25 Anthony Stewart (Mike Knuble)
[/QUOTE]

Mike Knuble before he fed off Thornton ;)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
King Fish said:
Richards is closer to Peca in comparison, Lankow is no leader and plays soft defence. He is the opposite of Lankow.

Wow. You couldn't be farther off with Langkow. I mean, you are WAY off here. He was a +42 in his three years in Phoenix, two of which were not good years for the team, and he ALWAYS lined up against the opposition's top line. He played as regularly on the PK as anyone else on the team, as well. He was unquestionably the best defensive forward on the team over those three years. He was the second choice behind Doan for captaincy, after Numminen left, and his leadership was always commended. He wore an 'A' his last two seasons, and I believe for some part of his first. The ''soft'' comment makes me wonder if you've ever actually seen this guy play a hockey game. Game in and game out, the Daymond Langkow I watched was a tenacious, nasty, little S.O.B., even dropping the gloves occasionally (and doing pretty well for himself, in that regard.) I'm not trying to be too much of a cheerleader, here :blush: , but your post got me a little fired up. :p:

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
rt said:
Wow. You couldn't be farther off with Langkow. I mean, you are WAY off here. He was a +42 in his three years in Phoenix, two of which were not good years for the team, and he ALWAYS lined up against the opposition's top line. He played as regularly on the PK as anyone else on the team, as well. He was unquestionably the best defensive forward on the team over those three years. He was the second choice behind Doan for captaincy, after Numminen left, and his leadership was always commended. He wore an 'A' his last two seasons, and I believe for some part of his first. The ''soft'' comment makes me wonder if you've ever actually seen this guy play a hockey game. Game in and game out, the Daymond Langkow I watched was a tenacious, nasty, little S.O.B., even dropping the gloves occasionally (and doing pretty well for himself, in that regard.) I'm not trying to be too much of a cheerleader, here :blush: , but your post got me a little fired up. :p:

yea, I wouldn't criticize Damon's two-way game, it's not bad at all. The thing in Philly is that he wasn't quite good enough defensively for the flyers to feel comftorable to go with him as their #3 and not good enough offensively to be the #2. If I were comparing the two, I'd say that Damon has better speed. Mike has slightly better vision and is definately more tenacious that Damon is (that is not to take anything away from Langkow, but you can't find a guy out their who wants to win more than Richards). I think that Richards is a more natural fit at the #3 center spot and if his offensive game evolves, he'll turn into a solid #2 guy.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
kremlin said:
Wow, that's great! New Jersey sitting on two future hall of famers that they stole somewhere mid 1st round.

Hey, anything is possible. And if I'm not mistaken, a player by the name of Mike Bossy was taken 15th of the first round, a middle round pick that turned out to be pretty good!

Last edited:

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
DARKSIDE said:
Hey, anything is possible. And if I'm not mistaken, a player by the name of Mike Bossy was taken 15th of first round, a middle round pick that turned out to be pretty good!
Not saying they could not be THAT good, but a bit premature to compare them to hall of famers :)

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Gags1288 said:
yea, I wouldn't criticize Damon's two-way game, it's not bad at all. The thing in Philly is that he wasn't quite good enough defensively for the flyers to feel comftorable to go with him as their #3 and not good enough offensively to be the #2. If I were comparing the two, I'd say that Damon has better speed. Mike has slightly better vision and is definately more tenacious that Damon is (that is not to take anything away from Langkow, but you can't find a guy out their who wants to win more than Richards). I think that Richards is a more natural fit at the #3 center spot and if his offensive game evolves, he'll turn into a solid #2 guy.

I don't think that the Flyers had a real issue with Langkow he was shipped out for the following reasons, Phoenix offered what the Flyers thought was a very very good deal, and the Flyers had just aquired Jiri Dopita, who at the time everyone thought was the best non-NHL player in the world, and Roenick.

The top 3 centers were going to be Roenick, Primeau and Dopita. Clarke thinks it's important to have two centers with size, and with Roenick and Langkow in the top 3 is a bit smaller that he'd like.

Also to be a truly great 3rd line center, you should be very good on face-offs, and that is perhaps Langkow's biggest weakness. He's terrible on draws.

56 players took more than 1,000 faceoffs last year and only Patrick Marleau had a worse percentage than Langkow.

===============================================

Dopita got hurt and then became a bust, but we fleeced Handzus from the Yotes the following year to make up for that.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
kremlin said:
Not saying they could not be THAT good, but a bit premature to compare them to hall of famers :)

Hey, just having some fun. I really have no idea how good both will be. However, I know that Lou Lam and Dave Conte are high on both these kids and that's good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->