Projection for Johnsson's 18-19' Season

2legit2quit

Oct 27, 2017
How well do you guys think Johnsson will perform next season?

He scored 10 goals and 24 POINTS in 16 Games in the AHL Playoffs. He was a monster in the playoffs, and led the Marlies to win the Cup.

He also looked really good in the playoffs vs Bruins, albeit he was a little nervous, he was always dangerous, and, even on the PK, he's dangerous.

Do you guys think he can be one of those late superstar players? He definitely has the Hockey IQ, speed, shot, playmaking ability, and talent.

My prediction in the 2018-19 Season for Johnsson: 20 Goals - 41 Assists - 61 Points

Linemates (Who I want him to play with)

Scenario 1: Johnsson - Nylander - Grundstrom
Scenario 2: Johnsson - Kadri - Marner
Scenario 3: Johnsson - Matthews - Kapanen
S4: Johnsson - Aaltonen - Marner

All of these lines look promising and great.
And, Johnsson plays the PK.

I want him to become a TJ Oshie esque player, one who plays PK, knows how to play the game really well, positions himself very well, ----- even if he's not scoring or padding stats, you know that he's still playing exceptional defensive hockey, and, creating chances for his teammates by simply positioning and high IQ.

Last edited:

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
That's a tad high. Likely he doesn't get a top role, especially if Dubas decides to get an expensive top 6 winger UFA like many people on the board want him to for some crazy reason. I expect a 20/20 season. Anything more than that is gravy. He does, however, need to be signed a min 3-4 year deal at a good compromise salary and not a cheap 1 year "show me" deal that again, weirdly people want that will ensure next year we'll have to pay him a lot more.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
20 points if Babcock is the coach. He is not Marner, Nylander, Matthews and will absolutely be put into dog cage from day 1. He would be lucky if he is not treated the way Leivo has been treated so far.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
If he scores 30 points next year as Lead, that is a complete success.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Given the role he's likely to have, bottom six and maybe PP2, something in the 35-40 point range is probably realistic.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
20 points if Babcock is the coach. He is not Marner, Nylander, Matthews and will absolutely be put into dog cage from day 1. He would be lucky if he is not treated the way Leivo has been treated so far.

Did you watch the Leafs in the playoffs at all? Babs loves him like a second Hyman.

OT I’m going to say 20-25-45 playing with Kadri all year

2legit2quit

Oct 27, 2017
You guys are underestimating him.

Estimate him next time.

It's not un-reasonable that Babcock explores a line that has Johnsson - center - Marner

I think Johnsson will definitely reach 60 points playing with Marner as his winger.

LINE 1: Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
LINE 2: Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen
LINE 3: Johnsson - Aaltonen - Marner
LINE 4: Grundstrom - xxx - Brown

That's fricking deadly man. All 4 lines can defend, and, score.

Line 1: With Matthews + Hyman, it can defend well, and the combo of Willie + AM34 should be deadly offensively.

Line 2: This line is a monster shut down line, as well, this line gives Kapanen 2 gifted offensive players to feed off of. He no longer has useless slugs, and, he has potential to have a 50+ point campaign. (If Kappy plays with this line, I believe this will be his breakout year)

Line 3: This line has a ton of potential, Johnsson is fresh out of being the best player in the AHL, and he looked amazing vs the Bruins. Aaltonen is an amazing 2-way Center, and Marner is arguably the best offensive player on the Leafs.

Line 4: This line can occasionaly score and be a defensive line. With Grundstrom being a version of Komarov that is ACTUALLY GIFTED OFFENSIVELY maybe he can turn Brown into a 25 goal scorer?

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
If anyone recalls he played all situations while with the leafs. No reason why he couldn’t get 40+ points

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

Line 2: This line is a monster shut down line, as well, this line gives Kapanen 2 gifted offensive players to feed off of. He no longer has useless slugs, and, he has potential to have a 50+ point campaign. (If Kappy plays with this line, I believe this will be his breakout year)

How is Kapanen going to feed off of two players who don't pass the puck?

2legit2quit

Oct 27, 2017
How is Kapanen going to feed off of two players who don't pass the puck?

Kadri is an underrated passer, he just shoots a lot in the Powerplay is all. I mean he is a 30+ goal scorer, so it makes sense for him to shoot.

Kadri is a good playmaker, trust me. Marleau + Kadri are speedsters, and, danglers, they will create so much space for Kapanen, and, Kapanen being the fastest player in the NHL, should take advantage of the extra room given to him (He played with Komarov/Pleks/Moore, who are slugs, and was on a 16 goal pace while getting ALL DEFENSIVE starts and PK).......

Think of the extra-space Kadri/Marleau create for Kappy, who will be under-the-radar for a lot of teams sizing up the leafs. Trust me, Kappy has an amazing shot, and can thread the needle, he just didn't get the points because his linemates were dog shite.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
At minimum he should at least get a look on Matthews LW next season.

2legit2quit

Oct 27, 2017
I think everyone here under-rates Kapanen.

Kapanen nearly got 100% D-zone + PK starts, and 0% PP time. Played with Komarov, Moore, Pleks.

YET ---- He was on pace for 16 goals.... That's impressive on it's own. Put Marner/Nylander in that situation ---- Do Marner/Willie get 16 goals with Kappy's usage?? (Willie/Marner feed off of the PP and Off. zone starts).

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
You guys are underestimating him.

Estimate him next time.

It's not un-reasonable that Babcock explores a line that has Johnsson - center - Marner

I think Johnsson will definitely reach 60 points playing with Marner as his winger.

LINE 1: Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
LINE 3: Johnsson - Aaltonen - Marner
LINE 4: Grundstrom - xxx - Brown

That's fricking deadly man. All 4 lines can defend, and, score.

Line 1: With Matthews + Hyman, it can defend well, and the combo of Willie + AM34 should be deadly offensively.

Line 3: This line has a ton of potential, Johnsson is fresh out of being the best player in the AHL, and he looked amazing vs the Bruins. Aaltonen is an amazing 2-way Center, and Marner is arguably the best offensive player on the Leafs.

Line 4: This line can occasionaly score and be a defensive line. With Grundstrom being a version of Komarov that is ACTUALLY GIFTED OFFENSIVELY maybe he can turn Brown into a 25 goal scorer?

Dude, this is really pie in the sky thinking. There's no way Brown scores 25 goals, especially with a rookie Grundstrom and "xxx" on his line. Also Johnsson is not scoring 60+ points, 40+ would be incredible. I like our young guys and our depth but they're not all going to be elite players in the NHL. We need at least 1 more vet in our bottom 6 too. This team can contend for a cup but not with that many unproven players in the starting lineup

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Dude, this is really pie in the sky thinking. There's no way Brown scores 25 goals, especially with a rookie Grundstrom and "xxx" on his line. Also Johnsson is not scoring 60+ points, 40+ would be incredible. I like our young guys and our depth but they're not all going to be elite players in the NHL. We need at least 1 more vet in our bottom 6 too. This team can contend for a cup but not with that many unproven players in the starting lineup
He scored 20 as a rookie with pretty crappy linemates FYI.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
He scored 20 as a rookie with pretty crappy linemates FYI.

Um, he played with Matthews and Kadri for the most part in his rookie season. I agree he is capable of 25 goals playing with above average linemate instead of 4th liners and on a 100% defense assignment for Bozak and JVR, but your statement was not accurate.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Um, he played with Matthews and Kadri for the most part in his rookie season. I agree he is capable of 25 goals playing with above average linemate instead of 4th liners and on a 100% defense assignment for Bozak and JVR, but your statement was not accurate.
I recall Brown playing more of a bottom 6 role, but I'll check.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I think everyone here under-rates Kapanen.

Kapanen nearly got 100% D-zone + PK starts, and 0% PP time. Played with Komarov, Moore, Pleks.

YET ---- He was on pace for 16 goals.... That's impressive on it's own. Put Marner/Nylander in that situation ---- Do Marner/Willie get 16 goals with Kappy's usage?? (Willie/Marner feed off of the PP and Off. zone starts).

Lets be fair. This is the kind of usage he should be getting in the future as well. Why? His speed is his primary weapon. It offers him no advantage in offensive zone starts and a lesser advantage in neutral zone starts. What he needs are players who can actually keep up with him. So, you put Johnsson and Nylander on a line with him and boy will you be seeing a lot of odd man rushes and a lot of goals instead of just breakways and Kapanen in the offensive zone all alone while his linemates struggle to get halfway through the neutral zone. Heck, a Kapanen-Kadri-Marner line could be hella scary for opposition teams.

Last edited:

sIDEsHOW93

Apr 29, 2015
Canada
I see Johnsson getting 3rd line minutes 5v5 and possibly some top 6 time due to injuries. Also can see him playing 2pp unit & 2pk unit. This i’m guessing would give him around 14-15min per game. With his experience at this level I see a bit of a learning curve throughout a full season.

Prediction
71 Games Played
16 Goals (10 5v5 - 5pp- 1pk)
22 Assists
38Points

Overall, a great first full NHL season with some struggles but lots of growth.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

The other funny part about it is Grundstrom is apparently the one who is going to turn Brown into that. AS if Grundstrom was a playmaker or something. Grundstrom is a goal scorer, not a playmaker. Maybe Brown can score 25 in the right situation, but not because he's playing with Grundstrom.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Sounds like some are a little punch drunk after the success of our Super Rookies. 61 points next year? Yikes.

I am and have been a big believer in Johnsson since his D+1 year. That said I think a 20-20 season is both reasonable and a fantastic success. We'll see where he goes from there.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
The other funny part about it is Grundstrom is apparently the one who is going to turn Brown into that. AS if Grundstrom was a playmaker or something. Grundstrom is a goal scorer, not a playmaker. Maybe Brown can score 25 in the right situation, but not because he's playing with Grundstrom.

Sure, Grundstrom isn't going to be Brown's playmaker. But Nylander could be. Or whoever they get to put in that XXX slot. For instance, Marleau isn't a playmaker, nor was Komarov. So how did Kadri end up as a 30 goal scorer over the past couple years? Perhaps the skilled 2-way players around him actually provided him the "room"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad