Hirose-AA-Ras
Helm-Nielsen-Abby
JDR-Glendening-Ehn

DDK-Green
E-Daley
Bowey-Hronek

who am I missing?

Edit: of course I failed to add Abdelkader lol

Edit 2: I can't help but think the team will try to expedite things in trying to sign some big names in UFA. This team is hot trash.

Reactions: winger7020

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
Few players are generating as much buzz at the current world championships than Anthony Mantha.
The Red Wings’ forward has carried his late-season scoring surge into the world tournament. Mantha was second in the tournament with seven points (three goals, four assists) in only three games for Canada, skating and playing with the puck about as well as he did at any point during the regular season.
Which is great news for the Red Wings, as Mantha, possibly further increases … his trade value?
Huh?
The chances are slim of Mantha being dealt, especially given the way the line of Mantha, Dylan Larkin and Tyler Bertuzzi exploded the final weeks of the regular season.
But with those three young forwards, plus Andreas Athanasiou, and prospects such as Michael Rasmussen, Taro Hirose, Filip Zadina, Joe Veleno, Evgeny Svechnikov and Jonatan Berggren — not to mention whoever the Wings pluck out of next month’s entry draft — the Wings’ young talent pool among forwards runs deep.
Among the defensemen, it's not quite as deep. And certainly on the NHL roster, the depth chart isn’t as strong — and, it's aging — compared to others around the league.
Some of the forwards aren’t going anywhere. Larkin is the foundation of this organization. Bertuzzi had 21-goal season, is a heart-and-soul player, but wouldn’t likely fetch the return that a Mantha or Athanasiou would, and is probably a more valuable player for the Wings, given his intangibles, than for other teams.
That leaves Athanasiou and Mantha, primarily, as two names that jump out.
So, why not ship a good young forward for a talented young defenseman?
It’s a question that makes sense, especially for a general manager like Steve Yzerman, who showed in Tampa Bay a willingness to be aggressive, at times.
“They’ve got to find the young defenseman,” said E.J. Hradek, an NHL Network analyst. “They have a number of talented forwards, so much so, maybe they can move one to get a really good defenseman.”
Could Anthony Mantha, Andreas Athanasiou fetch Red Wings a defenseman?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
FThat leaves Athanasiou and Mantha, primarily, as two names that jump out. So, why not ship a good young forward for a talented young defenseman?

It’s a question that makes sense, especially for a general manager like Steve Yzerman, who showed in Tampa Bay a willingness to be aggressive, at times. “They’ve got to find the young defenseman,” said E.J. Hradek, an NHL Network analyst. “They have a number of talented forwards, so much so, maybe they can move one to get a really good defenseman.”

Just look on the Trouba thread. The trade is there.

Justin Faulk could be another option. Carolina has some extra righties, and could trade one (nearest with UFA threat, just like Trouba).

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
Few players are generating as much buzz at the current world championships than Anthony Mantha.
The Red Wings’ forward has carried his late-season scoring surge into the world tournament. Mantha was second in the tournament with seven points (three goals, four assists) in only three games for Canada, skating and playing with the puck about as well as he did at any point during the regular season.
Which is great news for the Red Wings, as Mantha, possibly further increases … his trade value?
Huh?
The chances are slim of Mantha being dealt, especially given the way the line of Mantha, Dylan Larkin and Tyler Bertuzzi exploded the final weeks of the regular season.
But with those three young forwards, plus Andreas Athanasiou, and prospects such as Michael Rasmussen, Taro Hirose, Filip Zadina, Joe Veleno, Evgeny Svechnikov and Jonatan Berggren — not to mention whoever the Wings pluck out of next month’s entry draft — the Wings’ young talent pool among forwards runs deep.
Among the defensemen, it's not quite as deep. And certainly on the NHL roster, the depth chart isn’t as strong — and, it's aging — compared to others around the league.
Some of the forwards aren’t going anywhere. Larkin is the foundation of this organization. Bertuzzi had 21-goal season, is a heart-and-soul player, but wouldn’t likely fetch the return that a Mantha or Athanasiou would, and is probably a more valuable player for the Wings, given his intangibles, than for other teams.
It’s a question that makes sense, especially for a general manager like Steve Yzerman, who showed in Tampa Bay a willingness to be aggressive, at times.
“They’ve got to find the young defenseman,” said E.J. Hradek, an NHL Network analyst. “They have a number of talented forwards, so much so, maybe they can move one to get a really good defenseman.”

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Huh?
Could Larkin fetch a defenseman?

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Bert-Larkin-Mantha
Hirose-AA-Ras
Helm-Nielsen-Abby
JDR-Glendening-Ehn

DDK-Green
E-Daley
Bowey-Hronek

who am I missing?

Edit 2: I can't help but think the team will try to expedite things in trying to sign some big names in UFA. This team is hot trash.
That team is garbage. 13.35M 3rd line! Thanks Kenny........

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
This is why I quite literally hate most of the words that Khan's computer spits out. Sure, let's start Rasmussen in the NHL because he has "experience" that Zadina, Veleno, Svechnikov don't have. Yeah, experience on how to be completely overmatched in the NHL. I would rather Zadina or Svechnikov start in Detroit over Rasmussen. Hell, I'd rather have Veleno. Until Rasmussen can physically play the role that he is going to need to play to be successful, he should be in Grand Rapids.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Bert-Larkin-Mantha
Hirose-AA-Ras
Helm-Nielsen-Abby
JDR-Glendening-Ehn

DDK-Green
E-Daley
Bowey-Hronek

who am I missing?

I don't agree with your lines, but those are the players that I expect to be on the roster. As much as I think Raz should start in GR, he's still the best option unless they pick someone up in UFA. Abby pretty much wrecks any line that he's on, but I bet Blash starts him out on the second line and eventually drops him to the 4th. I'd rather see him in GR, and keep a random kid.

As for the D, you got 2 lefties and 2 righties paired together. More than likely it'll be:
Daley - Hronek
E/Kronwall - Bowey

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
That team is garbage.

The team is the team man. You dont want ALL 19-20 year olds out there.
As much as we want to "not wait" for Veleno, and Zadina and McIsaac and Cholowski.... Suck it up.
They will develop when they develop. Might take a year for Yzerman to work some magic trying to trade many of our vets.

That roster will help us tank again next year. That is winning "long term".
Maybe Veleno and Zadina still help us tank next year in the NHL, but if they are dead last in the league, its not good for the players themselves. They learn to lose, they learn to hate this team, and leave ASAP. AKA Edmontoning ourselves. Lets not do that.

Selfishly, I'd love to watch these three on a line together in Grand Rapids for ~half a season.

That really isn't a bad development plan. Lets face it all... we are rebuilding. Getting a chance to watch those players excel together is what we want. In the NHL at best they make the team as 3rd liners, with low production and demoralizing results. In GR they could dominate and we glimpse our future.. and they get 1st line minutes.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
The team is the team man. You dont want ALL 19-20 year olds out there.
As much as we want to "not wait" for Veleno, and Zadina and McIsaac and Cholowski.... Suck it up.
They will develop when they develop. Might take a year for Yzerman to work some magic trying to trade many of our vets.

That roster will help us tank again next year. That is winning "long term".
Maybe Veleno and Zadina still help us tank next year in the NHL, but if they are dead last in the league, its not good for the players themselves. They learn to lose, they learn to hate this team, and leave ASAP. AKA Edmontoning ourselves. Lets not do that.

That really isn't a bad development plan. Lets face it all... we are rebuilding. Getting a chance to watch those players excel together is what we want. In the NHL at best they make the team as 3rd liners, with low production and demoralizing results. In GR they could dominate and we glimpse our future.. and they get 1st line minutes.
My hope is we can get rid of Nielsen, Gator and Helm and use that 13+M to get Panarin and Dzingel. Major talent upgrade right there for almost the same money!!!

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
My hope is we can get rid of Nielsen, Gator and Helm and use that 13+M to get Panarin and Dzingel. Major talent upgrade right there for almost the same money!!!

Well sure that would be nice.... how exactly do we "get rid of them" without creating a buy-out cap hits that last so long, it hurts us when we are good?

Edit: P.S. Weiss remember him? He's still on the books for 2 more years. And how long ago was that?

Reactions: NickH8

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Well sure that would be nice.... how exactly do we "get rid of them" without creating a buy-out cap hits that last so long, it hurts us when we are good?

Edit: P.S. Weiss remember him? He's still on the books for 2 more years. And how long ago was that?
I think Helm has value with some money retained. Maybe Nielsen could help someone get to the floor. We are pretty much stuck with Abdelkader. Can someone please explain to me why the f*** he had to give him years? Like why so Gotdamn long? It felt like a huge mistake when it was being reported before the deal was even signed. Holland was the absolute worst with the deals he gave out. Disgusting just thinking about the many deals he gave away over the years..

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Unfortunately we're gonna have to wait 2 more years. Helm's contract expires, Nielsen would have 1 more year left at $3M, Abby 2 more years at $3M. At that point Nielsen and Abby are probably tradeable to a floor team at 50% retention.

At that point the team will have a better idea of what the kids can do and fill in the holes with UFAs. I don't see the team making the playoffs until 21-22 season.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I don't agree with your lines, but those are the players that I expect to be on the roster. As much as I think Raz should start in GR, he's still the best option unless they pick someone up in UFA. Abby pretty much wrecks any line that he's on, but I bet Blash starts him out on the second line and eventually drops him to the 4th. I'd rather see him in GR, and keep a random kid.

As for the D, you got 2 lefties and 2 righties paired together. More than likely it'll be:
Daley - Hronek
E/Kronwall - Bowey
Ya I wasn't worrying about lines as much as who was going to be on the roster.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI

Good for development and good for me because I live in GR.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
This is why I quite literally hate most of the words that Khan's computer spits out. Sure, let's start Rasmussen in the NHL because he has "experience" that Zadina, Veleno, Svechnikov don't have. Yeah, experience on how to be completely overmatched in the NHL. I would rather Zadina or Svechnikov start in Detroit over Rasmussen. Hell, I'd rather have Veleno. Until Rasmussen can physically play the role that he is going to need to play to be successful, he should be in Grand Rapids.

Rasmussen put up 18 points in 62 games playing in the NHL as a 19 year old with 4th liners all season. In Svechnikov's last AHL season at age 21, he put up 23 points in 57 games.

So Svechnikov's last season barely outscored Rasmussen's last season despite Svechnikov being 2 years older and playing in a lower league....and Svechnikov is currently coming off of a major injury. Rasmussen was overmatched in the NHL as a 19 year old. Svechnikov was apparently overmatched in the AHL as a 21 year old.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Why get rid of Helm or Abdelkader, if they are crap contracts? Crap contracts are the key to tanking.

If you see my first post, that is what I am suggesting, just holding on to them. I mean move them if you can, but I wont be upset if they cant move them. What team thinks "man I need a Darren Helm?" (Maybe the worst PK team in the league... in which case they ask us for Glendening first). Anyway my first post will show you my point of view on this.

Good for development and good for me because I live in GR.

Nice :)

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Rasmussen put up 18 points in 62 games playing in the NHL as a 19 year old with 4th liners all season. In Svechnikov's last AHL season at age 21, he put up 23 points in 57 games.

So Svechnikov's last season barely outscored Rasmussen's last season despite Svechnikov being 2 years older and playing in a lower league....and Svechnikov is currently coming off of a major injury. Rasmussen was overmatched in the NHL as a 19 year old. Svechnikov was apparently overmatched in the AHL as a 21 year old.

Svechnikov has also put up 20 goals and 31 assists in the AHL in 71 games in his D+2 season. Aka the same season that Rasmussen just completed. You’re devaluing Svechnikov because he’s had a couple of injury plagued seasons recently.

Rasmussen’s game is always going to be predicated on physicality, strength, and thriving in the dirty areas, areas that he looked overmatched in for an entire season. He’s been afforded a chance to prove he belongs in the NHL with a full season to establish and learn on the job. That’s something Svechnikov has never been afforded the opportunity to do.

I won’t say it’s an absolute, I hope this offseason proves to be all Rasmussen needs to be a quality NHL player, but I know Rasmussen isn’t ready as of the end of this year. I’d rather let someone else have the chance to prove their value if the alternative is let someone play behind the physical development curve for another year.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
Athanasiou - Nielsen - Vanek/ other similar place holder vet UFA
Hirose - Glendening - Svechnikov
Helm - De la Rose - Abdelkader

Guys like Ehn, Zadina, Rasmussen, Veleno, Turgeon, Kuffner, etc. are all call up type guys as the injuries pile up.

Dekeyser - Hronek
Daley - Green
Ericsson - Bowey
Kaski

Kronwall and/or Witkowski brought back as pressbox/ 7th or 8th D level guys for injuries.

Cholowski, Hicketts, Lashoff, Sulak (if he stays) all available as call ups for injuries/ development purposes.

Howard
Bernier

Rybar could get called up for stretches if Howard has his usual on/off injuries.

Reactions: Winger98 and NickH8

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I think Helm has value with some money retained. Maybe Nielsen could help someone get to the floor. We are pretty much stuck with Abdelkader. Can someone please explain to me why the **** he had to give him years? Like why so Gotdamn long? It felt like a huge mistake when it was being reported before the deal was even signed. Holland was the absolute worst with the deals he gave out. Disgusting just thinking about the many deals he gave away over the years..

the funniest part is not only did he sign Abdelkader to that extension but he rushed to get it done as fast as he could and signed him to it in November like he thought it was a bargain and spending a few more months trying to get a better deal would have made it shoot up more :laugh:

there's bad contracts and then there's negotiating against yourself for a bad contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->