Speculation: Projecting the 2021 Seattle Expansion protection list and who the Wild lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
False, if a player waived their NMC for the Expansion draft they do not lose their NMC. He wouldn’t be able to be traded.

plus there is no way that Seattle would pick Parise. Waiving actually makes the Wild a better team because Seattle would be forced to pick a worse player.

Parise probably couldn't care less about that. And he could still be moved to Seattle. That or a trade to another team, it's the same thing.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Parise probably couldn't care less about that. And he could still be moved to Seattle. That or a trade to another team, it's the same thing.
You honestly think Seattle is going to look at his contract and say yeah, I want that 7.5 mil till the guy is 40 that has a NMC (trade protections now have to be protected after trades under the new CBA)?

even if the Wild didn’t have to protect Parise there is no way I see Seattle taking him.

you think they would pass on Greenway, Soucy, maybe even Talbot?

plus his biggest goal right now is to win a cup. Of course he doesn’t want the Wild to suck, that was the whole reason why he almost went to New York, he didn’t want to be on a rebuilding team.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Parise's priority is clearly to try to win something while he can still play. If that wasn't the case he wouldn't have accepted a trade to the Islanders. And if he's still on this team when games start back up he'll probably be here for the long haul and will have a vested interest in this team not taking many more steps backward. If waiving his NMC is a low risk way to help keep the team moving forward instead of backfilling spots with rookies it's worth considering.

Reactions: HotDish

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I know what you mean. But my point is, if Parise wants to do this he should tell Guerin, not the other way around.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I know what you mean. But my point is, if Parise wants to do this he should tell Guerin, not the other way around.
We could debate the Shalt's and Shalt Not's of a mercenary business like pro hockey, but it's probably moot. The Staal trade spelled out Guerin's thoughts on the matter pretty bluntly.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Well seeing that Guerin came from a FO that asked at least one of their players to waive I would think he would ask at least Parise to waive.

the goal of the Wild is to win the Stanley cup. If Guerin believes asking a player to waive his NMC for the ED brings them one step closer to the cup he will do it.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You think Parise wants to lose his security? What people forget is that he will immediately become exposed to trade. These days it's all about business, loyalty is gone.

To be honest, I don't even think Guerin would ask, unless he wants to build a ratship here. The initiative should come from the player, if he actually wants to waive his NMC. Until then the club should, and normally will, respect the contract.
Yeah, that's not how contracts work.

fgobuzz

Dec 10, 2010
Kentucky
Shit will get real interesting if Greenway has a breakout year.
If he does breakout, Guerin will just have to work his magic to have Parise/Zucc waive to be exposed in the draft... Would love to see this happen. I don't think either Parise or Zucc would be taken by Seattle.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Zuccarello buy-out is an option, only potential problematic year is 23/24. Eriksson Ek isn't a lock for protection. Parise, only option is him waiving. Not really concerned with Greenway the only candidate to force something, though I don't believe Kunin was moved for this reason.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Zuccarello buy-out is an option, only potential problematic year is 23/24. Eriksson Ek isn't a lock for protection. Parise, only option is him waiving. Not really concerned with Greenway the only candidate to force something, though I don't believe Kunin was moved for this reason.
Why would the Wild buyout Zucc? He might not of had a great first season however he could rebound and I feel like it is a waste of money to buy him out.

if Ek isn’t a lock for protection who would you rather keep?

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Why would the Wild buyout Zucc? He might not of had a great first season however he could rebound and I feel like it is a waste of money to buy him out.

if Ek isn’t a lock for protection who would you rather keep?

I'm not saying I'd buy-out Zuccarello or not protect Eriksson Ek at this point. They're just both options depending what happens from now until expansion. If Greenway excels next to Fiala or Kaprizov he's going to be a guy worth keeping over what either of those players did this past season, and with Parise's contract and how I feel about Dumba's situation(via contacts close to him) those 2 are the ones in question.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
If he does breakout, Guerin will just have to work his magic to have Parise/Zucc waive to be exposed in the draft... Would love to see this happen. I don't think either Parise or Zucc would be taken by Seattle.

Big chance Seattle would take Zuccarello if he was available, he's only 33 and younger than Parise. They also need veterans, and Zucc is a very good player with a ton of experience, and a great personality. So he'll definitely keep his NMC intact, because he wants to stay here.

StormFather

Oct 10, 2017
I really dont like this expansion draft. Looks like its the same rules as the Vegas expansion draft.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Who do the wild lose at this point?

One of the goalies?

Greenway?

A dman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad