Projecting Murray 3+ Years Forward

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Start 65 games, top 5 in GAA, SV%, and SO. 40-45 wins a season. That's top 3 material. Best in the world is guys who steals wins on a consistent basis despite his team not playing well. When Murray becomes a bullet point for opposing teams by himself and teams have to figure out how to beat Murray and how to stop our offense, that's when he becomes the best in the world.

So there was maybe one top 3 goalie this year? One last year too?

Only Dubnyk fits that criteria and is borderline on every measure, same for Holtby the season before. Holtby and Bobrovsky didn't have enough games played this season (63 games each). Carey Price has only ever met those measures once in his career. Only Holtby has had more than one 40 win season in a row amongst the top goalies. Never mind that GAA and wins are entirely reliant on the team's play and not the goalie.

The only argument against Murray being amongst the Holtby's and Price's is that he hasn't been playing long enough to judge his consistency year to year. He's definitely been consistently great so far.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
Why is 60+ games of any significance? 11 goalies played 60+ games this season and of those only 4 played beyond the 1st round of the playoffs and 1 (Rinne) beyond the 2nd round. I'm not drawing any correlation there, but why would you want a goalie taxed by playing 85+ games on the way to regular season + 4 rounds of playoffs? That's way too much and a great way to setup for the wheels falling off at the end, similar to what happened to Rinne.
Cause without MAF and signing a competent backup hes gonna have to play 60 plus games. Plus this is what the Fleury haters wanted. Now he is gone so since you wanted Murray to replace him he needs to replace him. The work load the reliability, its all on him now and so we can see if hes the Next great goaltender by him starting and finishing a season. Fleury played 60+ games 7 times in his career so since he is " so much better than Fleury" ( quoting some of y'all) he will have no problem doing it right?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
So there was maybe one top 3 goalie this year? One last year too?

Only Dubnyk fits that criteria and is borderline on every measure, same for Holtby the season before. Holtby and Bobrovsky didn't have enough games played this season (63 games each). Carey Price has only ever met those measures once in his career. Only Holtby has had more than one 40 win season in a row amongst the top goalies. Never mind that GAA and wins are entirely reliant on the team's play and not the goalie.

The only argument against Murray being amongst the Holtby's and Price's is that he hasn't been playing long enough to judge his consistency year to year. He's definitely been consistently great so far.

63 and 65 games are pretty similar, it's about long term though.

If you look at long term, Price, Dubnyk, and Holtby, statistically speaking, are the best goaltenders in the league. That could very much very from the eye test.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Murray is great--better this year than last. Kinda get the feeling he's still on that upswing too. But playing a full season will give a lot of teams more of chance to solve him. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a losing streak or two, especially later on in the season. He knows his weaknesses so I'm sure he's working hard to address them. Durability for him may be an issue as well. Tough to know how often he should be in there.

This quote perfectly encapsulates the Murray haters. I think you hit every point:

- Minimize his first year accomplishments;
- Make a compliment and then immediately follow up with a negative one;
- Trump up his supposed weakness(es);
- Question his durability;
- Finish off a critique of a goalie with back-to-back outstanding Stanley Cup playoff performances with "nobody knows how he'll do?!?"

A+

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Cause without MAF and signing a competent backup hes gonna have to play 60 plus games. Plus this is what the Fleury haters wanted. Now he is gone so since you wanted Murray to replace him he needs to replace him. The work load the reliability, its all on him now and so we can see if hes the Next great goaltender by him starting and finishing a season. Fleury played 60+ games 7 times in his career so since he is " so much better than Fleury" ( quoting some of y'all) he will have no problem doing it right?

giphy.gif

Fordy

May 28, 2008

what a sad post

nbonaddio

BELLOWS: THE BEST
Mar 28, 2007
Well, this is getting out of hand. I'm mostly done with the work stuff I needed to do for the NBA (preview: Lonzo Ball = a worse defending Jason Kidd) and I'll spend an hour over lunch updating this.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Well, this is getting out of hand. I'm mostly done with the work stuff I needed to do for the NBA (preview: Lonzo Ball = a worse defending Jason Kidd) and I'll spend an hour over lunch updating this.

Perhaps you could project Murray skeptics 3+ years forward? If I could offer my best guess:

figure1.png

Edit: could someone change the x-axis to read "Stanley Cups Won"?

Last edited:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Eh, not really, because you could equally argue that Murray himself is an outlier, since no one outside of Halak can even come close to matching his two-year run in the AHL, and no one other than Cam Ward can match the Cup run.

I personally find it even more worrisome that guys we all know to be elite right now (Holtby, Price, etc.) all had significant troubles getting over the hump until their fourth or fifth year, and then you have a whole other host of goalies that were once thought of as franchise goaltenders suddenly not working out (Varlamov, Niemi, etc.).

To fully believe that Murray will be a lock starting goalie for the Penguins for the next decade..it requires a lot of faith that he'll overcome some pretty dicey odds.

I think the odds are almost 100%, in fact only an injury could prevent it in my opinion. His first year age eligible for the AHL he breaks records and also has the best save% and GAA in the AHL as a 20 year old rookie. The next year he follows that up with great regular season numbers in the NHL and wins the Cup with good numbers. Murray then has very good numbers again as a rookie 22 year old and proceeds to win his second Cup all while having the best save %, GAA and most shutouts in the playoffs. After those 3 years at that age I dear you to find anything comparable.

That first post in this thread was just ridiculous because none of those players have done what Murray has over the past 3 years. In fact no goalie has put together a start to his career this good. I have no doubt Murray will keep his play at an elite level. Murray plays a very controlled game and does not get rattled. I would not trade him for any goalie at this point. We know Murray will be clutch in the big games and he is 6-0 in playoff series in what was still considered his rookie year. Murray also put up those great numbers this playoffs with an average at best defense core in front of him so you can't say he was sheltered. With what Murray has down these past 3 years and at his age and cap hit who would you trade him for? I can't find a goalie I would deal for over him. What is it going to take for people to see this kid is elite? A 3rd Cup in a row while still putting up elite stats? I have seen enough to know that Murray is the real deal and I have no doubts at all about that. That first poster should be flogged for that post (what did he say? Something like he will likely perform a little under what Fleury's averaged Save% and GAA was over the years at best? Murray is proven clutch which is more than you can say about the past several vezina winners. You have to have the right mental makeup to be elite and Murray has that. Fleury is one of the most athletic goalies of all time but his mental make up was lacking. I am glad he finished strong and went out on a great note but he never gave me the confidence in net that Murray does. I would not want any other goalie in the pipes next year over Murray and after 2 Cups in a row as a rookie neither should you.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That first post in this thread was just ridiculous because none of those players have done what Murray has over the past 3 years.

You realise the post you're replying to comes from, like, over a year ago?

stratosphere

Mar 19, 2010
This quote perfectly encapsulates the Murray haters. I think you hit every point:

- Minimize his first year accomplishments;
- Make a compliment and then immediately follow up with a negative one;
- Trump up his supposed weakness(es);
- Question his durability;
- Finish off a critique of a goalie with back-to-back outstanding Stanley Cup playoff performances with "nobody knows how he'll do?!?"

A+

Murray is clearly the right choice going forward, but there are caveats.

Call it whatever you like, but its a long season. Guy is great but his glove? Not so much. He's been hurt before and he's not the most robust human physically. So no, its not at all a given that he'll tear up 65 games and come out in tip top shape, ready for the playoffs without a hitch.

My point is simply that the Pens could do a lot worse than play Murray a solid 40-50 games and utilize a strong back up, especially close to season's end, to give him a break if need be.

As for his playoff performance, this year he was better than last year, though he **** the bed a few times badly. Last year the Pens were far more dominant and I wasn't convinced based on the low number of quality shots he faced, plus he was new and unproven. Did well, but after this year, he convinced me. Still think he needs to play more and with that kind of activity, opponents will figure him out and/or he'll have to deal with the physical grind of the season.

Not sure that makes me a hater. More of realist. If I'm Sully, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to grind down my 2x SC winning backstop so he can be beaten up for the post season.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
The inherent thought that Murray will be the average of a bunch of similar goalies in his first 3 years is flawed in itself. Past success of other players doesn't impact future success of other players. That's just insanely dumb. Murray has never posted below a .920 save% in either a regular season or playoffs dating back to his 2nd to last season in juniors. To say he's going to end up below that all of a sudden because Robin Lehner had a .913 save% in a season is so grossly oversimplistic that I don't have a response for it.

Want to know a better comparable? Braden Holtby. Holtby had a .923 save% through 57 regular season games and a .931 save% through 21 games in the playoffs from ages 21 (10-11) to 23 (12-13). Murray's at a .926 through 73 regular season games and a .928 save% through 32 playoff games so far. Both also play a hybrid athletic/technical style. Seeing how Holtby has had a save% above .920 in 6 of 7 NHL seasons, 4 of 5 as a starter and in 4 of 5 playoff runs, I really don't see why Murray is going to AVERAGE below a .920 in his next 3 years when neither he or his best comparable player have done that over a 3 year stretch.

Cut out the crap of comparing Murray to Bernier and actually compare him to guys who have put up similar numbers at similar ages. Murray is the next Holtby and he's not even far off from that right now.

Edit: I also just looked at the "comparables" that the OP mentioned and just started laughing. Want to see what stats he ignored to include?

Lehner: 25 games played, never played more than 12 in a season
Bernier: 7 games played, never played more than 4 games in a season
Andersen: Didn't break into the NHL until he was 24, also only played 28 games
Schneider: Had 10 games played by the same age Murray had 2 cups
Mrazek: Had 40 games played, never played more than 29 in a season
Allen: Played in 15 games in 12-13, didn't even touch the ice in the NHL in 13-14
Halak: Finally the only guy with a semi significant workload, but he had a lot worse of a save% than Murray had in the NHL

I also don't know where your stats are coming from. Are you including AHL numbers too? That's pretty awful for a lot more reasons too.

Kudos to this poster!:handclap: Holtby is the best comparison for Murray's future success, oops I better rephrase that:laugh: Holtby is the best comparison for Murray's future statistical success with Save% and GAA. As far as clutch winning success in the playoffs you can't find anyone better then 2-0 in the finals and 6-0 in playoff series. You can't overlook the clutch part of goaltending and playing your best when all the chips are on the line.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
You realise the post you're replying to comes from, like, over a year ago?

No but that makes more sense, ha ha. I am surprised we have this old of a thread going. Someone must of looked back and bumped it up. although I still will say I believed in Murray even before he won the first Cup. I wanted him in the pipes over Fleury even at the start of those playoffs and did not want Fleury back in. So I would still have argued these points a year ago and just would of been proven right even more now. People that still doubt this kid are the people that will always find fault with anything.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
63 and 65 games are pretty similar, it's about long term though.

If you look at long term, Price, Dubnyk, and Holtby, statistically speaking, are the best goaltenders in the league. That could very much very from the eye test.

Only Holtby has managed to meet this criteria more than once in his career, and that's playing on the best regular season team both years. Maybe it's just me but if there aren't any goalies that are consistently top 3 maybe it's not a useful measure.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
No but that makes more sense, ha ha. I am surprised we have this old of a thread going. Someone must of looked back and bumped it up. although I still will say I believed in Murray even before he won the first Cup. I wanted him in the pipes over Fleury even at the start of those playoffs and did not want Fleury back in. So I would still have argued these points a year ago and just would of been proven right even more now. People that still doubt this kid are the people that will always find fault with anything.

I think someone wanted to laugh at how off the original assessment ended up being. But yeah. I'm guessing he wouldn't run those comparables now. I'm not really sure what comparables there are for Murray anymore.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Please follow Fleury to Vegas.

ResignCraigAdams

Mar 15, 2017
I think he'll be a Vezina finalist at least once in the next three years.

Also, is it wrong to assume Jarry will be our backup next year? If that's the case, I think Jarry will get a lot of starts (20-25). They are not just going to let a stud goalie prospect rot on the bench.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think he'll be a Vezina finalist at least once in the next three years.

Also, is it wrong to assume Jarry will be our backup next year? If that's the case, I think Jarry will get a lot of starts (20-25). They are not just going to let a stud goalie prospect rot on the bench.

Yes. They've already said they'll be keeping him in WBS one more season.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I've got two concerns with Murray:

1. Health. He's suffered a broken finger and a pulled hamstring in one season. We will see if that is the beginning of a trend or just a run of bad luck.

2. Streamlinging of goalie equipment. One of Murray's strengths is his big frame, which he expertly uses with good positioning to swallow up and freeze pucks. He uses that more than pure athleticism, a la Fleury. He's tall, but also beanpole skinny. If they follow through with tapering the goalie chest protector as they've been discussing, I think it will hurt him more than a lot of the goalies in the league due to his style and frame.

That all said, we've got 99 problems but a starting goaltender aint one.

nbonaddio

Mar 28, 2007
To save us all from the trainwreck that is unfolding in this thread, I decided to not go to the gym and not make dinner tonight in order to update this for 2017. So, my wife is now all mad at you by proxy for the poor health decisions I've made, but alas, here it is.

Oh, and by way of explanation and marginal introduction, my name is Nik, I founded numberFire, which is a sports analytics platform now owned by FanDuel; we work with about ten teams in various capacities by mostly focus on the consumer space, fantasy sports and the like. I know you don't care, but I thought it was worth mentioning in regards to my bonafides in talking about this stuff.

---

1: Teams

The first thing we need to do is to look at the Penguins and profile them from a statistical point of view. The easy way to do it would be to use goals for and against; the harder way would be to use Corsi and various other possession/advanced stats. For the ease of collection on my end, I chose numberFire's proprietary nERD values, which is a composite statistic that roughly calculates how many goals plus or minus a team is relative to a perfectly average one. A score of +1 (i.e: should beat an "average" team by a goal every night on neutral ice) is considered extremely elite; the Pens were a +0.73 this year, finishing 2nd to the Capitals at +0.89.

Without knowing what changes the Pens will make vis-a-vis free agency, coaching, etc. we'll have to assume that +0.73 is the constant, then take the component stats that form it (offense, defense, power play, etc.), adjust it for era and strength of opponents, and find an array of similar teams.

Vancouver Canucks 2010 96.63%
Chicago Blackhawks 2014 96.57%
Philadelphia Flyers 2012 94.53%
Vancouver Canucks 2002 94.18%
Vancouver Canucks 2003 93.43%
San Jose Sharks 2002 93.11%
Dallas Stars 2008 92.29%
Ottawa Senators 2004 91.46%
Boston Bruins 2011 91.30%
Chicago Blackhawks 2011 90.84%

---

2: Players

The second thing I did was to form the neural network player array for Murray, using the updated stats (GAA, SV, VORP, nERD) from this year. While it's important to note that not all shots and scoring chances are made equal, unless STATS Inc. or SportRadar dramatically improves their investment in visual tracking, it is generally impossible to quantify those differences.

What we can (and will) do is the simple stuff: adjusting for era, adjusting for potentially disproportionate amounts of power plays for or against, that sort of thing. There is also a marginal adjustment made for teams who have an unusually high or low amount of goals scored; this is an inference I'm making in regards to their playing style, which will ultimately have an effect on the goals against.

The last thing I did was to adjust each potential player to what their projected performance would be playing on the Pens in 2017; that is to say, if the comparable is Patrick Roy 1987, we'd take Roy's historical statistical profile as of that year and apply it to Murray playing for a team statistically similar how the Penguins are anticipated to play in 2017. Whew. That's a mouthful.

Jaroslav Halak 2010 97.13%
Semyon Varlamov 2011 96.67%
Roberto Luongo 2004 95.43%
Miikka Kiprusoff 2006 94.75%
Marty Turco 2007 94.23%
Mike Smith 2012 92.33%
Niklas Backstrom 2009 91.99%
Carey Price 2011 91.11%
Jimmy Howard 2011 90.94%
Kari Lehtonen 2012 90.54%

(There's more than this; I'm cutting it off here for length.)

Three caveats here off the bat: these comparisons are purely quantitative and have nothing to do with personality/style/emotional comportment, whatever. You can put stock into those things if you choose; for this exercise, they're somewhat irrelevant.

Second, it's important to note that while Murray is in his second-year, some of the comparisons are for goalies later in their career. This is because we're comparing it on a seasonal level and not on the basis of similarity at that point of their career. I originally attempted to do it on this level, and realized that the sample size at that isn't large enough to do anything significant - Murray is that much of an outlier. That alone should tell you an awful lot.

Last, most of the goalies are somewhat recent. This is because I included VORP and nERD, two advanced derivative stats that are somewhat common and proprietary to my company, respectively. Both require high-fidelity raw data to calculate accurately, and that data generally wasn't available until recently.

---

3. Projections

From here, we find the union of the data sets; that is to say, find the closest comparable player on the closest comparable team at the closest comparable point in their career progression, weight it, and play it out from there with a running weighted average. I feel a little bit less comfortable with this given the amount of exogenous things that can wrong with huge impact (injuries to either Murray himself or to Letang/Crosby/etc, dramatic shifts in NHL rules around equipment or goal sizes) but this should probably give some initial guidance.

Sergei Bobrovsky 2013 94.45%
Tuukka Rask 2012 93.41%
Miikka Kiprusoff 2006 93.03%
Ryan Miller 2010 92.56%
Roberto Luongo 2006 91.99%

(Again, there's a lot more there, only including the top 5 because they're the closest fit.)

This blends to (SVP/GAA/VORP/nERD per gm):

2017-2018: .926/2.17/+7.13/+0.45
2018-2019: .924/2.32/+5.11/+0.33
2019-2020: .928/2.11/+8.93/+0.52

---

4. Conclusions

My first reaction to the player array was that they were a little bit bearish; I don't really consider, for example, Marty Turco to have ever been as good as Matt Murray is now. Of course, part of that is my bias as a Pens fan, another part is my likely ignorance of Turco, and so on. I suspect part of the surprising results is due to sample size; 62 NHL game is not a lot to go off of. Still, it points to the fact that while we as Pens fans are all very bullish on Matt, careers can and often do take dramatic swings (Varlmamov, Backstrom), and it would be foolish for us to assume permanency after only 62 games.

(I noted in section 2 that some of the comparables were a lot further developed in their career - such as Mike Smith 2012, who was 29 at the time. Halak 2010 was 24 and Varlamov was 25; it makes my life easier for the sake of apples-to-apples conclusions that those two are pretty close in age as well.)

Of the top comparables, Halak maintained good form but I'd say never really became elite; Varlamov fell off pretty hard. That's not to say that those results are expected for Murray, rather it's to say that they are possible, given that they're the top comparables and that as both Halak and Varlamov looked to be on the verge of being very-good-to-excellent at the time. This probably makes Halak the reasonable floor here - not counting injuries of course - as Murray's numbers likely will never look as rough as Varly's look because the 17-19 Pens will likely be much better than the 12-14 Avs and because Varly didn't have elite numbers in the AHL that Murray has.

Given that none of the stronger comparables strike me as being elite, it's hard to quantify what the ceiling is, particularly given that Murray has outpaced even the rosiest of projections every step of the way so far. I'm inclined to think that the low-end is something like a better, more consistent Luongo playing for a better team, or a Rask/Varlamov without their recent downward trends. I'm tempted to use Price as well, but given the relative weakness of the similarity (not to mention how rough Price's three years after 2011 looked), it strikes me as being less of a fit for our purposes - Murray could (and probably should) outperform Price's 2011-2013, but there's similarly weak indication that Murray can consistent deliver Price's 2013-16. For the purposes of a quick blurb, I'd call it somewhere between Luongo+ and Price as the ceiling.

(A few posters upthread mentioned Holtby as a comparable; for what it's worth, Holtby doesn't appear in the top 20 comparables for either players or projections. This is likely because Holtby's improvement from 13-14/14-15 was somewhat unique from a statistical perspective (2.85/.915 to 2.22/.923) and as such, it's generally seen as an outlier/unlikely growth curve for anyone, not just for Murray.)

One thing I meant to mention in the projections section is that in addition to having a very solid worst-case in Halak, Murray also shows a low variance/high confidence interval. This should give the Pens and you, the Pens fan, a lot of reassurance that even though you might intuitively disagree that Luongo+ is a high enough ceiling, the consistency is projected to a degree that barring injury, there are no bad outcomes; a dropoff like Varlamov or Rask is unlikely. They do happen, however, and therefore they must be accounted for even if it is difficult for us as humans and biased fans to do so.

The worst case scenario is likely that even with some regression/growing pains, Murray is a consistent top 10 goaltender in the league for the next 5-6 years - something that you'd have to stretch to say about MAF, if we're being honest - and obviously the upside is significantly above that. The likely outcome and ceiling are pretty closely clustered (again, due to low variance), profiling a yearly Vezina candidate that delivers between .925 and .930 year in and year out.

I'd be interested in revisiting this in a year, hopefully after another Cup and 50+ more starts under his belt.

nbonaddio

Mar 28, 2007
Note: mods, if you could, please update the thread to include post #120 with new analytics for 2017. Thanks!

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
4. Conclusions
The worst case scenario is likely that even with some regression/growing pains, Murray is a consistent top 10 goaltender in the league for the next 5-6 years - something that you'd have to stretch to say about MAF, if we're being honest - and obviously the upside is significantly above that. The likely outcome and ceiling are pretty closely clustered (again, due to low variance), profiling a yearly Vezina candidate that delivers between .925 and .930 year in and year out.

I don't understand your methodology, at all, but I like the conclusion. Sold!

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I still believe MAF is a top 10 goaltender in the NHL. There are not many great goaltenders in the game today.

nbonaddio

Mar 28, 2007
I don't understand your methodology, at all, but I like the conclusion. Sold!

Here's the gist:

1. Find players similar to Murray
2. Find teams similar to Pittsburgh
3. Find union of that data set, preserving the weight of that accuracy
4. Form projection by looking at how that union performed in subsequent years, noting the attendant features of the result (variance, etc.)
5. Win respect of posters who accuse you of being a MAF fanboy

The tl;dr for those who really don't want to dig through the slog:

Floor is something similar to Halak, ceiling is something similar to Luongo+/Price. Because of Murray's quick growth curve, the strength of the Penguins, and the low variance in the resulting projections, he is likely to avoid the dropoff of Varlamov/Rask which was informing his floor and therefore expectation is much closer to the ceiling than the floor.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Here's the gist:

1. Find players similar to Murray
2. Find teams similar to Pittsburgh
3. Find union of that data set, preserving the weight of that accuracy
4. Form projection by looking at how that union performed in subsequent years, noting the attendant features of the result (variance, etc.)
5. Win respect of posters who accuse you of being a MAF fanboy

The tl;dr for those who really don't want to dig through the slog:

Floor is something similar to Halak, ceiling is something similar to Luongo+/Price. Because of Murray's quick growth curve, the strength of the Penguins, and the low variance in the resulting projections, he is likely to avoid the dropoff of Varlamov/Rask which was informing his floor and therefore expectation is much closer to the ceiling than the floor.

Super interesting stuff, thank you for posting it!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad