Projecting Canada’s World Junior Roster

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
I think Jack Studnicka should make the team. From what I saw, he was one of the best Canadians at the Summer Showcase. He's a great skater, smart, tenacious, can play all situations, what's not to like?

Reactions: Dempsey

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I think Jack Studnicka should make the team. From what I saw, he was one of the best Canadians at the Summer Showcase. He's a great skater, smart, tenacious, can play all situations, what's not to like?

Agreed, Studnicka was a real standout and a pleasant surprise for me at the Summer Showcase. I wasn't expecting much from him going in, but he blew me away and played his way onto my projected roster heading into the season.

I wrote this piece prior to the weekend, prior to the Hlinka semifinals, but I think it held up pretty well and I wouldn't make any changes as of today.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I would think both Mitchell and Brook have a better chance of being on the team then Addison, Woo and Byram.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Those two, in particular, didn't stand out at the Summer Showcase. They will have to show more at the selection camp and may have to play roles that they aren't accustomed to, which might leave them on the outside looking in. Frost and Bowers might not be in scoring roles or getting power-play time on Team Canada, so they would need to find other ways to contribute and make an impact. As mentioned, if Hunter ices four scoring lines, they make it. If he goes with a checking line and some role players up front, they might not be what the coach is looking for this year. That doesn't mean they won't be successful NHL players for years to come. There are always World Junior cuts that go on to really good careers.

Gotta agree here. I think Frost eventually does make it but hes not a lock because he might not be an offensive go to guy and he didnt stand out in thewjss. I think he and Bowers were both mentioned in an interview by Hunter where he was trying to see what roles they can fill and that he was hoping they would do a little more to stand out. Its a little summer thing so its not a huge deal necessarily, but this is the first chance hes had to put a team together and start forming opinions on his team.

Neither guys have been team Canada guys in the past either which does play a bit of a role as well. If someone like Veleno (I'm a wings fan but just an example), starts the year at, or on a higher scoring pace than he was last year he might make the team over one of these 2. Hes played really well in past tournaments for Canada and wore a letter for a couple of them. I dont think hes necessarily better, but Canada might trust him more in the roles theyre looking to fill while still being able to score

He always seemed to be around the puck in the WJSS and I heard his name a lot in a good way. He also didnt seem to do a tonne to stand out but I think he left that showcase with a better chance of making the team than he entered with. Hes also a past team Canada guy so maybe a hot start gets him there in December.

Reactions: Larry Fisher

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Gotta agree here. I think Frost eventually does make it but hes not a lock because he might not be an offensive go to guy and he didnt stand out in thewjss. I think he and Bowers were both mentioned in an interview by Hunter where he was trying to see what roles they can fill and that he was hoping they would do a little more to stand out. Its a little summer thing so its not a huge deal necessarily, but this is the first chance hes had to put a team together and start forming opinions on his team.

Neither guys have been team Canada guys in the past either which does play a bit of a role as well. If someone like Veleno (I'm a wings fan but just an example), starts the year at, or on a higher scoring pace than he was last year he might make the team over one of these 2. Hes played really well in past tournaments for Canada and wore a letter for a couple of them. I dont think hes necessarily better, but Canada might trust him more in the roles theyre looking to fill while still being able to score

He always seemed to be around the puck in the WJSS and I heard his name a lot in a good way. He also didnt seem to do a tonne to stand out but I think he left that showcase with a better chance of making the team than he entered with. Hes also a past team Canada guy so maybe a hot start gets him there in December.

Agreed on all these fronts and a really good point by you on the value/importance of past experience with Hockey Canada. That definitely does play a factor, all other things being equal or close to equal. It can't be overlooked or downplayed.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Maybe it's just the Homer in me, but I think Foudy is going to steal a spot. If he had a full season of being on the top line its possible he could have been a top 15-10 pick.

He's not just fast, he's able to think and play the game at that high speed that makes him so special. The only question is if he can do it at the next level.

Reactions: lanky

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Maybe it's just the Homer in me, but I think Foudy is going to steal a spot. If he had a full season of being on the top line its possible he could have been a top 15-10 pick.

He's not just fast, he's able to think and play the game at that high speed that makes him so special. The only question is if he can do it at the next level.
Disagree. If he puts up second half numbers, he's Michael McLeod, who was overdrafted

Reactions: Kel Varnson

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I know Canada doesn't like underage players but I think Cozens deserves a spot.

If a lot of guys go to the NHL hell get a shot to make it but seems like a long shot. If Rasmussen, Vilardi and Thoma are gone he might get a decent look depending on his start. The defense is all young, and they'll already be bringing Lafrenierre. I think Canada has become more open to going young lately, but theres still a lot of older talent that may be able to match Cozens this year

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I know Canada doesn't like underage players but I think Cozens deserves a spot.

it's not they don't like, Canada is usually stacked, and a underager making team Canada is less likely then a team like USA or Russia or any other league. If we are able to dress a underager, he is probably a top 3 pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad