Projecting Canada’s World Junior Roster

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I think its gonna be tough for him with the amount of good 18 year old defenseman he will be competing against this year but with an amazing start he has an outside shot. I'd think next year will be his year to really shine though.

I like both Byram and Barron, but I have Byram slightly ahead as an under-age defender for this roster. That could be west-coast bias since I've seen a lot of Byram over the last couple years and I'm just getting to know Barron now.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I really liked it until I saw that you had Ryan ****ing McLeod on the second line over Morgan Frost and Shane Bowers.

Still a fun read though.

Yeah, I liked the McLeod-Foudy pairing for their speed but Hayton-Frost as a Greyhounds pairing makes a lot of sense too.

Reposting this comment here from the bottom of the article: I think Frost could be one of those kids that makes the NHL instead of making the World Junior team. If he's available, he would definitely be invited to the selection camp and get serious consideration, but he didn't do much to impress Hunter at the Summer Showcase. If Canada went with four scoring lines instead of a checking line (Line 4), then Frost would be a lock. If Canada goes with a balanced lineup including role players, then Frost would be in tough to make the cut unless he steps it up at selection camp. That was my thinking there.

Or if Canada wants an older (more traditional) team, then Frost and Bowers could certainly take the place of Dach and Cozens. Lots of options in every scenario!

Reactions: bukwas and 99664987

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
A player like Barron is a great candidate to step in to fill a hole for a graduating defensemen in 2020. I also think it is probably more likely then not that atleast one of the 4 you listed dont end up making the NHL in the year after. But there is ridiculous 18 year old depth even beyond the top end that players less heralded should emerge over that amount of time. I think the prospective 2020 Canadian team is going to be absolutely loaded with talent while this year will be leaning on a lot of 18 year olds.

I sort of alluded to that at the end, but I agree that Canada's 2020 team could be better on paper than this year's 2019 team. All depends on who makes the NHL.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
After the season he had in the Q there is no reason he shouldn’t make the team. He’ll be 17 by the time the tournament starts and should be one of their best scoring options. I’ll hold off on making a projected roster until we see which teenagers make their team out of camp. The forward group should be very good regardless, I could see the defence slightly struggling with a lack of great LHD options.

The LHD options are a little concerning and I'm not overly high on the goaltending options either. The United States and Sweden are going to be very strong and contenders for gold. Russia, Finland and possibly even the Czechs will be competitive again too. Anything can happen in that final four. Canada has the "easier" pool, so that helps, but repeating won't be easy by any means.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I like both Byram and Barron, but I have Byram slightly ahead as an under-age defender for this roster. That could be west-coast bias since I've seen a lot of Byram over the last couple years and I'm just getting to know Barron now.

I think that's the case for a lot of us. Fun one to watch isn't he?

What are your early thoughts on Barron?

Reactions: Larry Fisher

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I think that's the case for a lot of us. Fun one to watch isn't he?

What are your early thoughts on Barron?

Definitely a lot of fun to watch and he's another late-2001 who isn't draft eligible until 2020. I believe he's the youngest player on Canada's roster at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup (November birthday), but you wouldn't guess that by watching Barron. I'm fast becoming a fan and looking forward to his development over the next two junior seasons. He'll be in the spotlight since Halifax is hosting the Memorial Cup this season. His older brother, Morgan, is a big kid so Justin should keep growing too. He should be a beast by the time his draft day rolls around.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Frost not even scratching your spares list unless everyone makes the NHL next season lost me on this having any level of seriousness. Frost and Bowers make the team.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
We will revisit this discussion in November, leading up to the December selection camp, how's that sound?

It's summer, there is junior hockey being played, and many fans like to look ahead.

The only reason is that some of those players could be in the NHL or (god forbid) injured going into the world juniors.

I like to look ahead as well, but I think October is as early as you can go with this kind of thread.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Projecting Canada's roster for this winter's World Junior Championship comes down to two factors — how many prospects will make the NHL and how many under-agers will make the team. This is going to be a topic of much debate between now and December, but here are my initial predictions as of August 10: https://thehockeywriters.com/canada-world-junior-roster-prediction/

You forgot Morgan Frost (unless you're assuming he makes the Flyers out of camp?).

Edit: Nevermind. You mentioned that "maybe he gets an extra forward spot" in your "worst case scenario." We are talking about one of the best forwards in the OHL last season and the most productive at his age. Good lord.

Elite Prospects - OHL Stats 2017-2018

Reactions: Flyers1928

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Looks like Bellerive might surprise a few people. His 46 goals were more than any of the players mentioned (though a couple were on pace for more but played fewer games), his 92 points were more than everyone but Frost, Glass, Kyrou, and Suzuki, and his 25 playoff points were more than everyone but Rasmussen, Thomas, and Frost.

If his burns heal properly - and all indications are that they will - he's got a good shot at making the team.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Isn't Timmins still eligible? He's 19?

I doubt Woo would make it, probably Brook instead.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Frost not even scratching your spares list unless everyone makes the NHL next season lost me on this having any level of seriousness. Frost and Bowers make the team.

Those two, in particular, didn't stand out at the Summer Showcase. They will have to show more at the selection camp and may have to play roles that they aren't accustomed to, which might leave them on the outside looking in. Frost and Bowers might not be in scoring roles or getting power-play time on Team Canada, so they would need to find other ways to contribute and make an impact. As mentioned, if Hunter ices four scoring lines, they make it. If he goes with a checking line and some role players up front, they might not be what the coach is looking for this year. That doesn't mean they won't be successful NHL players for years to come. There are always World Junior cuts that go on to really good careers.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
You forgot Morgan Frost (unless you're assuming he makes the Flyers out of camp?).

Edit: Nevermind. You mentioned that "maybe he gets an extra forward spot" in your "worst case scenario." We are talking about one of the best forwards in the OHL last season and the most productive at his age. Good lord.

Elite Prospects - OHL Stats 2017-2018

I'm well aware of Frost and his offensive ability, but I just don't know where he fits into that best-case scenario roster. I do think he'd make the cut if several forwards make the jump to the NHL and he'd probably make the projected roster too, but I think those young forwards with size (Dach and Cozens) could bump Frost (and Bowers) come selection camp. I don't think some people realize how good Dach and Cozens are going to be. Both projected top-10 and possibly top-5 picks in 2019.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Looks like Bellerive might surprise a few people. His 46 goals were more than any of the players mentioned (though a couple were on pace for more but played fewer games), his 92 points were more than everyone but Frost, Glass, Kyrou, and Suzuki, and his 25 playoff points were more than everyone but Rasmussen, Thomas, and Frost.

If his burns heal properly - and all indications are that they will - he's got a good shot at making the team.

Like I said in the article, Bellerive could be this year's Batherson.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Okay thanks.

And why would that be?

The Brook vs. Woo among RHD debate will be decided by Tim Hunter if either or both make the cut. He coaches them in Moose Jaw and knows them better than anybody else. That helps their chances of making Team Canada, but keep an eye on their usage with the Warriors in the first half to get a better idea of who Hunter trusts more or relies on more. That player will likely have the better chance at selection camp.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
The Brook vs. Woo among RHD debate will be decided by Tim Hunter if either or both make the cut. He coaches them in Moose Jaw and knows them better than anybody else. That helps their chances of making Team Canada, but keep an eye on their usage with the Warriors in the first half to get a better idea of who Hunter trusts more or relies on more. That player will likely have the better chance at selection camp.
Yes exactly. And I've read somewhere that Brook was the #1D in Moosejaw, that's why I assumed it would be him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Like I said in the article, Bellerive could be this year's Batherson.

It was more directed at the thread discussion than the article. But the main difference between Bellerive and Batherson in terms of making the team is that Bellerive's already had the sort of production that should get him serious consideration, while Batherson's '16-'17 numbers were nothing special and he had to have a breakout half-season to get the attention of the Team Canada brass.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm well aware of Frost and his offensive ability, but I just don't know where he fits into that best-case scenario roster. I do think he'd make the cut if several forwards make the jump to the NHL and he'd probably make the projected roster too, but I think those young forwards with size (Dach and Cozens) could bump Frost (and Bowers) come selection camp. I don't think some people realize how good Dach and Cozens are going to be. Both projected top-10 and possibly top-5 picks in 2019.

Its 2018 and we are still using "size" to critique players? :laugh: Anyway, Frost is 6'0" (same as Dellandrea who you have as 4C). Its not like we are talking about a 5'9 Center.

Reactions: NJ DevLolz

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Frost should at least be a top 9 forward and ahead of R. McLeod on the "worst case scenario" team...and I am not one of those posters who thinks he is a big riser in his draft year. His stock did go up somewhat though, and he should be ahead of guys like McLeod this year. I mean, he was ahead of Hayton on the same team last year (though Hayton is younger and has more potential). That's a big hole in your list, Larry. Other than that one gripe, I think the article was very well written, a fun read, and I'll be coming back for more of your website soon. :thumbu:

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Frost should at least be a top 9 forward and ahead of R. McLeod on the "worst case scenario" team...and I am not one of those posters who thinks he is a big riser in his draft year. His stock did go up somewhat though, and he should be ahead of guys like McLeod this year. I mean, he was ahead of Hayton on the same team last year (though Hayton is younger and has more potential). That's a big hole in your list, Larry. Other than that one gripe, I think the article was very well written, a fun read, and I'll be coming back for more of your website soon. :thumbu:

Thanks, I can totally understand the frustration over my Frost snub. If you read the Sportsnet feature by Mark Spector on Frost (written during Summer Showcase), you can tell Hunter was wanting/needing to see more from Frost in order to talk about him like a lock. In hindsight, I probably find a way to get Frost in that lineup, likely swapping out McLeod for Frost. But, as always, time will tell and Frost didn't do himself any favours at that summer tourney as far as solidifying a roster spot.

Reactions: Wings4Life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad