Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Reactions: Chris McKinlay

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Nice read.

How big of a loss would Dobson be to the blue line? I think he'll be back in the Q so he should be available yet you just never know with the Isles in flux.

Reactions: SI90

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I honestly think he's 60-40 in favour of making the team, but I'm bullish on some of the under-agers this year.

Lafreniere is a 2001 birthday. Hes a late birthday, not an underager. He only has one more year of eligibility after this year. Hes guaranteed to make it unless if he has a terrible start to the season.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
After this world Junior he has 1 more year of eligibility left.

His last year of elegibility is 2020 WJC.

So he has 2019 (Vancouver) and 2020 (Czech Republic).

No it's not. It's the 2021 WJC that's his last year of eligibility.

Reactions: Larry Fisher

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I could see a young D like Barron making the team, he is so good and an awesome skater
I think its gonna be tough for him with the amount of good 18 year old defenseman he will be competing against this year but with an amazing start he has an outside shot. I'd think next year will be his year to really shine though.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think its gonna be tough for him with the amount of good 18 year old defenseman he will be competing against this year but with an amazing start he has an outside shot. I'd think next year will be his year to really shine though.

With no guarantee that Dobson, Bouchard, and Smith will be available for next year's team and Byram a candidate to start out in the NHL also... the riches on defense could be only for this year's team.

Wackster

Apr 5, 2017
Quebec city
I remembered that Ryan Ellis played as an underager and he was pretty good and I think Barron is a better skater but not a better overall player. It is more of a wishful thinking

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I remembered that Ryan Ellis played as an underager and he was pretty good and I think Barron is a better skater but not a better overall player. It is more of a wishful thinking

Barron is one of the best skating Dmen at his age that you can get.

I think he's been the best skater at this tournament, he's such a beautiful skater to watch with the sweater flapping behind him.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
With no guarantee that Dobson, Bouchard, and Smith will be available for next year's team and Byram a candidate to start out in the NHL also... the riches on defense could be only for this year's team.
A player like Barron is a great candidate to step in to fill a hole for a graduating defensemen in 2020. I also think it is probably more likely then not that atleast one of the 4 you listed dont end up making the NHL in the year after. But there is ridiculous 18 year old depth even beyond the top end that players less heralded should emerge over that amount of time. I think the prospective 2020 Canadian team is going to be absolutely loaded with talent while this year will be leaning on a lot of 18 year olds.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Nice read.

How big of a loss would Dobson be to the blue line? I think he'll be back in the Q so he should be available yet you just never know with the Isles in flux.

Tough to say what Trotz has in mind for the Islanders, but I could see Dobson outplaying undersized guys like Devon Toews and Sebastian Aho in camp and at least getting the nine-game audition in the regular season. There is at least one spot there for the taking.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Lafreniere is a 2001 birthday. Hes a late birthday, not an underager. He only has one more year of eligibility after this year. Hes guaranteed to make it unless if he has a terrible start to the season.

I consider this a 19-year-old tournament (1999s this year) and there are usually a number of 18 year olds (2000s), but all the 17 year olds (2001s) are under-agers IMO.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
After the season he had in the Q there is no reason he shouldn’t make the team. He’ll be 17 by the time the tournament starts and should be one of their best scoring options. I’ll hold off on making a projected roster until we see which teenagers make their team out of camp. The forward group should be very good regardless, I could see the defence slightly struggling with a lack of great LHD options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad