Projected New Salary Cap for 2013/14.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I also think if the cap really does go down to $60M that Edler will have to sign for $4.6M. There is absolutely no way I go north of $5M for him.

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
And just how is everyone going to"get rid of these salaries". Who's going to want players that we don't want because they are too expensive?

Teams at or near the salary cap floor should be able to pick up some good players for a small price! You think a team like Colorado wouldn't love to have Edler for a 2nd and 3rd round pick because we can't afford him.

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
With the rumours that the 2013-2014 cap may be 67M, we may not have to do much messing about.

Here's the thing, NHLPA have to decide if they want a 67 million dollar cap next year and pay a lot more escrow, or, do they accept a smaller cap of 60 million and pay way less escrow? Guess we'll find out soon enough.

I know this, almost every GM in the league is pulling for a 67 million dollar cap :)

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
True, although I wouldn't mind seeing a line of Jensen-Schroeder-Kassian as our 3rd line. AV would definitely have to manage their minutes and shelter that line, but try it in the regular season and if it just isn't working by around Christmas time (2013-14 season) then tweak it as needed. But I definitely need to see Kassian play with more consistency.

I don't want to ever see Schroeder as the third line center! That's a bigger mans role, he plays top six or he doesn't play in my opinion, and I believe I've heard Canucks management and coaching say the same thing as well. He's been really underwhelming in the AHL this year, he's not been terrible by any means. But he should be at the very least a top 20 scorer in the American league.

I just don't see a future in the NHL for this kid, but whatdo I know.

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
I think that's a bad idea. Gillis brought Kassian in to be a power forward, but right now he still wants to play a finesse game. He's not likely to rediscover that power game by playing limited minutes with two offensive rookies. He needs to play with someone like Lapierre or Kesler who go at the defense hard every shift, and not worry about making cute passes to set up goals (yet).

Him playing on a line with the twins is exactly what he needs, IMO, confidence is a powerful thing in professional sports! Henrik could get this kid rolling! Plus he adds that size and toughness the twins could use. Burrows has great chemistry with Kesler, play him on the second line and spread out the scoring.

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
I would actually prefer to see other players spoon fed softer zone starts in an effort to boost our secondary scoring. If the Sedins production drops to 50-60 points as a result then we simply don't re-sign them the following year. If the Sedins continue to produce at a PPG rate, while at the same time boosting the scoring of our secondary scorers then we become a better offensive team.

Putting Kassian on the Sedin line could potentially hurt that line as opposed to improving that line. I don't see what Kassian has done to deserve playing top line minutes in the NHL over someone like Dale Weise (let alone someone like Burrows who has actually produced in the NHL and has proven chemistry with the Sedins).

That's fair enough. I wouldn't put him on Kesler's line, but on the fourth line with Lapierre would make sense too. My only fear would be Kassian wouldn't get a chance to develop/fine tune his offensive game in that role.
The absolute worst thing you could do for/to him! They took a third line player in Burrows and stuck him with the twins, that's what they should do with Kassian!

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The absolute worst thing you could do for/to him! They took a third line player in Burrows and stuck him with the twins, that's what they should do with Kassian!

So let me get this straight: Jordan Schroeder who has more goals and the same amount of points as Kassian in the AHL this year has been very underwhelming and isn't deserving of a spot on the third line next year, but Kassian should be just handed a spot on our top line? Do you seriously not see how contradictory you have been in a span of 2 posts? :facepalm:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I don't want to ever see Schroeder as the third line center! That's a bigger mans role, he plays top six or he doesn't play in my opinion, and I believe I've heard Canucks management and coaching say the same thing as well. He's been really underwhelming in the AHL this year, he's not been terrible by any means. But he should be at the very least a top 20 scorer in the American league.

I just don't see a future in the NHL for this kid, but whatdo I know.

Why is Schroeder held to a higher standard than Kassian?

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I really think we will see a compromise or at least hope so regarding the cap.

The PA is set on 67 the league 60. I would estimate somewhere between 62-64.

To me this means we have to dump ballard, probably let someone like malhotra or raymond go (I guess if booth would continue to play bad we could move him). Also when we trade lou we will def need good prospects back, no established stars on big contracts.

Then give kassian and jensen a shot next year, possibly schroeder. And resign edler.

62-64 is for sure doable. 60-61 is getting a bit to low though.

Sportsnet mentioned we have 13 players we have promised money to at 55 million.

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
So let me get this straight: Jordan Schroeder who has more goals and the same amount of points as Kassian in the AHL this year has been very underwhelming and isn't deserving of a spot on the third line next year, but Kassian should be just handed a spot on our top line? Do you seriously not see how contradictory you have been in a span of 2 posts? :facepalm:

Why do you just look at stats? Hockey isn't played on a clipboard, by the way, they play a totally different kind of game. :shakehead

Last edited:

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
I can't see it being that much of a problem even at 60 million. The canucks are at 68 million right now (http://www.capgeek.com/canucks/salary_cap=$70,200,000). Manny Malholtra, Mason Raymond, Chris Higgins, Maxim Lapierre, Andrew Alberts, and Alex Edler are the bigger ufas while Tanev and Weise the bigger rfas. I doubt that Lapierre is due for much of a raise, Higgins might get a small one, I could see Malholtra being re-signed for around a million, Raymond not being brought back, Alberts not being brought back, Tanev a small raise and Weise around the same. The only real issue would be edler but that can be done.

Sedin (6.1)-Sedin (6.1)- Burrows (4.5)
Higgins (2.5 up from 1.9)- Kesler (5)- Booth (4.25)
Hansen (1.35)- Schroeder (1, he is an rfa but hasn't really done anything I don't see why he would get a raise) Lapierre (1.5 up from 1.0)
Weise (.6)- Malholtra (1.0 down from 2.5 he loves it here but will have to take a decrease to stay and there is no reason why he should stay the same)- Kassian (.87)
brings us to 34.77 million on forwards

Bieksa (4.6)- Hamhuis (4.5)
Edler (6.0 lets give him a raise here just hypothetically on the upper end)- Garrison (4.6)
Tanev (1.0 up from .9 hasn't really done anything to go up from that)- Ballard (4.2)
brings us to 24.9 for defense

Schneider (4.0)
Lack (.75)
4.75 for goaltending

So lets see where that bring us to, 64.42 and that is getting rid of Luongo. They would have to get rid of 4.42 million, with two options for doing that, either getting rid of Ballard or Booth. I think if they needed to it could be done but some tough decisions may have to be made. Sorry for the long post, I wrote it out partly for my own satisfaction and curiosity. I don't think that the cap will drop that far, I think between 64-67 is most likely, which can be easily reached. It does look like Luongo will have to go either way and Mason Raymond is most likely gone. It should definitely be interesting.

So some extra thoughts. I wonder if Nicklas Jensen might be a David Booth replacement. It would save money as well as put Jensen in a place to succeed. I also noticed people saying that they don't think that the Canucks could trade booth or ballard. I doubt that would happen. There will always be weak teams who want to hit the cap floor.

Last edited:

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Good post, agree with most of it, but at 60-61 i just feel we are pushing it with room for depth players although it can be done. Also I would like to get something back for lou, so we would be bringing money back yet. So we might be looking at closer to 66-67 million.

Your comment about jensen replacing booth I thought as well, if booth has a bad run this season (if there is one).

I think you might have been a bit to generous for edler. I am hoping we can sign him for around 5.0-5.5 although that might be wishful thinking. The karlsson contract did not help, I am guessing edlers agent figures hes just a notch below karlsson and he signed for 6.5.

I still think 60-61 is pushing it a bit though.

How exactly is cap space calculated with call-ups?

If 2 players are injured lets say for a few weeks and we need to call up 2 guys. Is that an additional 2 salaries on the cap?

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Why do you just look at stats? Hockey isn't played on a clipboard, by the way, they play a totally different kind of game. :shakehead

Well sure we could skate around and have big guys not do a whole lot all game but that doesn't win games. Last I checked it was scoring more goals than your opponent. Offensively Schroeder and Kassian have been equals this season, and Schroeder has scored more goals. In fact, I believe Schroeder would have more assists if his linemates could bury some of the chances he's set them up for. So please, do explain why you have this double standard whereby Schroeder has been very underwhelming and isn't deserving of a spot on the team, but Kassian deserves to be spoonfed top line minutes.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Andy strickland reported this in this article.

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/CBA-BreakdownWhere-Were-At

"2013-2014 Cap Number….

"Sources say the NHLPA has moved in the NHL’s direction when it comes to the 2013-2014 cap number. The NHL has it set at $60 million while the NHLPA has come down from $67 million towards the NHL’s position. Not quite all the way down to $60 million but less than $67."

Not sure what were looking at, I think we would be sitting comfortable around 64 million. I just hope it wont go to low.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Andy strickland reported this in this article.

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/CBA-BreakdownWhere-Were-At

"2013-2014 Cap Number….

"Sources say the NHLPA has moved in the NHL’s direction when it comes to the 2013-2014 cap number. The NHL has it set at $60 million while the NHLPA has come down from $67 million towards the NHL’s position. Not quite all the way down to $60 million but less than $67."

Not sure what were looking at, I think we would be sitting comfortable around 64 million. I just hope it wont go to low.

64m works just fine for this team. It's 60m that doesn't. 64m just allows this team to be a bit more patient in dealing Ballard IMO.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Well bad news for us if this happens, kypreos claiming gary is adamant on 60 million. He wants to crush the big market teams and help the bad markets rise. He mentioned the PA will have some owners in their corner for this one.

I would hate to see it at 60.

Doug Mclean then just mentioned (if you want to count him as legit) and basically hinted he talked to a canucks member of management that they feel they could trade lou and buyout keith ballard and be ok.

I dont know if I buy that completely though. Still cutting it a bit close.

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
Well bad news for us if this happens, kypreos claiming gary is adamant on 60 million. He wants to crush the big market teams and help the bad markets rise. He mentioned the PA will have some owners in their corner for this one.

I would hate to see it at 60.

Doug Mclean then just mentioned (if you want to count him as legit) and basically hinted he talked to a canucks member of management that they feel they could trade lou and buyout keith ballard and be ok.

I dont know if I buy that completely though. Still cutting it a bit close.

There's a good article in the Sun about some possible moves, food for thought anyways. I'm sure they're definitely thinking about it!

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...+Canucks+twist+force+tough/7767622/story.html

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Even if we are pressed by the cap, there isn't much need for pessimism really. Yeah we'll have to make cuts, but our competition will be going through the exact same thing.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I just want to be optimistic we can trade lou for something yet, and not have to use him as a cap dump. Can worry about resigining edler without his price hurting our team.

And getting a 2nd line winger yet. But I maybe asking to much especially with the cap.

KidCanuck*

This problem of a 60 mil cap won't really effect us compared to others. Ballard bought out, Luongo moved, Raymond not resigned, and some other minor cost cutting moves put us in decent shape. Montreal is in terrible shape though lol.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
I can't see it being that much of a problem even at 60 million. The canucks are at 68 million right now (http://www.capgeek.com/canucks/salary_cap=$70,200,000). Manny Malholtra, Mason Raymond, Chris Higgins, Maxim Lapierre, Andrew Alberts, and Alex Edler are the bigger ufas while Tanev and Weise the bigger rfas. I doubt that Lapierre is due for much of a raise, Higgins might get a small one, I could see Malholtra being re-signed for around a million, Raymond not being brought back, Alberts not being brought back, Tanev a small raise and Weise around the same. The only real issue would be edler but that can be done.

Sedin (6.1)-Sedin (6.1)- Burrows (4.5)
Higgins (2.5 up from 1.9)- Kesler (5)- Booth (4.25)
Hansen (1.35)- Schroeder (1, he is an rfa but hasn't really done anything I don't see why he would get a raise) Lapierre (1.5 up from 1.0)
Weise (.6)- Malholtra (1.0 down from 2.5 he loves it here but will have to take a decrease to stay and there is no reason why he should stay the same)- Kassian (.87)
brings us to 34.77 million on forwards

Bieksa (4.6)- Hamhuis (4.5)
Edler (6.0 lets give him a raise here just hypothetically on the upper end)- Garrison (4.6)
Tanev (1.0 up from .9 hasn't really done anything to go up from that)- Ballard (4.2)
brings us to 24.9 for defense

Schneider (4.0)
Lack (.75)
4.75 for goaltending

So lets see where that bring us to, 64.42 and that is getting rid of Luongo. They would have to get rid of 4.42 million, with two options for doing that, either getting rid of Ballard or Booth. I think if they needed to it could be done but some tough decisions may have to be made. Sorry for the long post, I wrote it out partly for my own satisfaction and curiosity. I don't think that the cap will drop that far, I think between 64-67 is most likely, which can be easily reached. It does look like Luongo will have to go either way and Mason Raymond is most likely gone. It should definitely be interesting.

So some extra thoughts. I wonder if Nicklas Jensen might be a David Booth replacement. It would save money as well as put Jensen in a place to succeed. I also noticed people saying that they don't think that the Canucks could trade booth or ballard. I doubt that would happen. There will always be weak teams who want to hit the cap floor.
I'd argue that Tanev will probably see a contract around 1.7-2.2 million a year. He's a young defenseman on the upward trend whose' had two good seasons, is running a great season in the AHL right now, and has the potential and capability to slot into a top 4 role as soon as next season. If Aarome can get a $1.5 million contract for 3 years, Chris Tanev will definitely get more. Add to the fact that he's one of the few RD on the team, the Canucks will likely want to lock him up for a good mid-length deal.

3 years for $5-7 million is my best guess.

StringerBell

I'd argue that Tanev will probably see a contract around 1.7-2.2 million a year. He's a young defenseman on the upward trend whose' had two good seasons, is running a great season in the AHL right now, and has the potential and capability to slot into a top 4 role as soon as next season. If Aarome can get a $1.5 million contract for 3 years, Chris Tanev will definitely get more. Add to the fact that he's one of the few RD on the team, the Canucks will likely want to lock him up for a good mid-length deal.

3 years for $5-7 million is my best guess.

I doubt it. Being a young, RFA defensive defenseman looking towards his 2nd contract he's not the type of player that warrants a lot of money. Heading into last season Karl Alzner got a 2 year deal at $1.285 per year. I imagine Tanev will be close to that.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Sounds like the latest is PA offered 65 million but cap floor stays at 44 million. Would be nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad