Projected New Salary Cap for 2013/14.

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
With the projected new salary cap of $60 million next season, the Canucks could find themselves in a really bad situation! With only 13 players signed and just over $60 million already committed to them, this team could be forced to change drastically! I think it's really unfair for the league to penalize teams like Vancouver like this. But it's the same for everyone I guess. It's taken years to get to this point and now all in one swift kick they change the rules, I guess Mike Gillis should have had the foresight to see this coming, but still disappointing to say the least.

Management will no doubt be forced to use entry level contracts in the top six, I could see Kassian and Jensen making the team out of camp next year and Booth being moved out. Ballard will most likely be gone too. And obviously the Luongo trade, now it really forces Gillis to not take any salary back.

Last edited:

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Life's not fair. Adjustments will have to be made. Young players will have to step in because they have to.

And we're not the only ones who will be cap crunched.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
The cap probably won't go down in year 2 like that. They will keep the cap close to where it is, and if and when the players share exceeds the agreed upon number, that money will come out of the 'make whole' money. With revenue growth of around $3.5M cap increase per year, they would be back at $70M in 3 years when the make whole money runs out.

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
The cap probably won't go down in year 2 like that. They will keep the cap close to where it is, and if and when the players share exceeds the agreed upon number, that money will come out of the 'make whole' money. With revenue growth of around $3.5M cap increase per year, they would be back at $70M in 3 years when the make whole money runs out.

Well according to the NHL's propsal it will, but, it sounds like the NHLPA and Fehr are non too happy about it. Hopefully they can come to some sort of agreement, all speculation at this point. Just thought it might be something to discuss, as far as who may be moved out to reduce the cap number.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Well according to the NHL's propsal it will, but, it sounds like the NHLPA and Fehr are non too happy about it. Hopefully they can come to some sort of agreement, all speculation at this point. Just thought it might be something to discuss, as far as who may be moved out to reduce the cap number.
I outlined this in the luongo thread on the main board and it's quite easy to get under the cap of 60M while even keeping luongo. Jensen Schroeder play 3rd line with Hansen Kassian in the top 6 Ballard traded Higgins Alberts malhotra Raymond let go edler signed at 5M and Lappy at 1.5M leaves 800k for a #5 dman and a 20 man roster

D.Sedin H.Sedin Kassian
Booth kesler burrows
Jensen Schroeder Hansen
Volpatti lappierre Weise

Hamhuis Bieksa
Garrison edler
_____ tanev

Luongo
Schneider

This line up uses just over 59.100M leaving just over 800k for the one spot. Of course we have no press box players which is unrealistic but an option that should be looked at. We can utilize every dollar on the cap this way and ltir. Someone gets injured play a man short since the 4th line gets only 6 min a game anyways and if it seems bad ltir the injured guy and now we have cap space to bring up players

We trade luongo for picks and prospects and a decent #5 dman making 2-3M and we can retain Higgins at around 2.5M

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
I outlined this in the luongo thread on the main board and it's quite easy to get under the cap of 60M while even keeping luongo. Jensen Schroeder play 3rd line with Hansen Kassian in the top 6 Ballard traded Higgins Alberts malhotra Raymond let go edler signed at 5M and Lappy at 1.5M leaves 800k for a #5 dman and a 20 man roster

D.Sedin H.Sedin Kassian
Booth kesler burrows
Jensen Schroeder Hansen
Volpatti lappierre Weise

Hamhuis Bieksa
Garrison edler
_____ tanev

Luongo
Schneider

This line up uses just over 59.100M leaving just over 800k for the one spot. Of course we have no press box players which is unrealistic but an option that should be looked at. We can utilize every dollar on the cap this way and ltir. Someone gets injured play a man short since the 4th line gets only 6 min a game anyways and if it seems bad ltir the injured guy and now we have cap space to bring up players

We trade luongo for picks and prospects and a decent #5 dman making 2-3M and we can retain Higgins at around 2.5M

I don't like Schroeder at third line center position, that's a defensively responsible bigger mans job, not a five foot eight little guy. Not sure that team could beat LA in a playoff series!

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA

D.Sedin H.Sedin Kassian
Booth kesler burrows
Jensen Schroeder Hansen
Volpatti lappierre Weise

Hamhuis Bieksa
Garrison edler
_____ tanev

Luongo
Schneider

I'd get rid of Booth and keep Higgins.

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
I'd get rid of Booth and keep Higgins.

I would definitely get rid of Booth and keep Higgins in a heartbeat!! He's a great third line LW'er and kills penalties, can move up and down the line-up. Booth is a north south player, if not in the top six he's useless.

I'd get rid of these salaries, Luongo, Ballard and Booth. That's over $13 million in salary right there.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
And just how is everyone going to"get rid of these salaries". Who's going to want players that we don't want because they are too expensive?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
A BIG :facepalm: to those penciling Kassian in on our top line. The guy isn't anywhere close to a PPG player in the AHL, yet he's going to be on our top line? People give way too much love for him because we traded away a blue chip player for him, but he's become very overrated here.

StringerBell

A BIG :facepalm: to those penciling Kassian in on our top line. The guy isn't anywhere close to a PPG player in the AHL, yet he's going to be on our top line? People give way too much love for him because we traded away a blue chip player for him, but he's become very overrated here.

Agreed. I don't even think he's ready for 3rd line duties. I think playing 4th line with Lapierre and learning to use his physicality every night is the best thing for his development.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Life's not fair. Adjustments will have to be made. Young players will have to step in because they have to.

And we're not the only ones who will be cap crunched.

Agreed. Despite what the NHL was telling the GM's and teams this past summer that they should operate under "business as usual", the Nucks and Gillis should have had a feel of the owners as to what they were going to want out of a new CBA.

Based on that, they adjust their spending to deal with an expected decrease in the salary cap.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Hard to say what the Canucks will need to do to get under the salary cap since we don't know how current contracts will be treated in terms of cap payroll---at least I don't recall seeing any details about this in any news report. The team has just over $60 million in actual salary committed to 13 players for the 13/14 season (under the expired CBA, the cap payroll would have been $55 million according to capgeek). So, if the new cap is $60 million and the new cap payroll of the current contracts is close to the actual salary ($60 million), the Canucks will have to shed at least two big contracts in order to afford players to fill out the roster.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
No big deal. Trade Luongo and buy out Ballard and you free up almost $10m. The cap will likely be around $65m, not $60m, so you've got $20m to re-sign Edler ($6m), Tanev ($2m), Higgins ($2.5m), Lapierre ($1.5m), leaving you $8m to sign 8 depth players (who may or may not include Malhotra and Raymond).

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Hard to say what the Canucks will need to do to get under the salary cap since we don't know how current contracts will be treated in terms of cap payroll---at least I don't recall seeing any details about this in any news report. The team has just over $60 million in actual salary committed to 13 players for the 13/14 season (under the expired CBA, the cap payroll would have been $55 million according to capgeek). So, if the new cap is $60 million and the new cap payroll of the current contracts is close to the actual salary ($60 million), the Canucks will have to shed at least two big contracts in order to afford players to fill out the roster.

Trading Luongo and buying out Ballard (without cap penalty) would be the safest bet.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'd bet the likely range is closer to 64m+, a repeat of 2011-12 cap. That is what the NBA did.

Yeah it really makes no sense to suddenly slash the salary cap a good $10M. This is going to put just over half the league in a tight situation and I doubt the bottom half of the league is going to want to pick up much of the slack. Going by the numbers currently on capgeek.com, right now the average cap hit in the NHL would be $60,037,821.

The only thing the NHL would accomplish by following through with such a sudden drop is by gift wrapping a few dozen good players to the KHL since so many veterans will have to be replaced with kids and farm hands to squeeze under the cap.

Why the hell would the NHL want to do that?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Agreed. I don't even think he's ready for 3rd line duties. I think playing 4th line with Lapierre and learning to use his physicality every night is the best thing for his development.

True, although I wouldn't mind seeing a line of Jensen-Schroeder-Kassian as our 3rd line. AV would definitely have to manage their minutes and shelter that line, but try it in the regular season and if it just isn't working by around Christmas time (2013-14 season) then tweak it as needed. But I definitely need to see Kassian play with more consistency.

Scottrockztheworld*

True, although I wouldn't mind seeing a line of Jensen-Schroeder-Kassian as our 3rd line. AV would definitely have to manage their minutes and shelter that line, but try it in the regular season and if it just isn't working by around Christmas time (2013-14 season) then tweak it as needed. But I definitely need to see Kassian play with more consistency.

Just wondering but how much have you watched him play & how much of it has been stat watching?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Kassian isn't ready to ride shotgun with the Sedins on a line that gets fed soft zone starts, but you want to see an all-rookie 3rd line? WTF?

StringerBell

I think that's a bad idea. Gillis brought Kassian in to be a power forward, but right now he still wants to play a finesse game. He's not likely to rediscover that power game by playing limited minutes with two offensive rookies. He needs to play with someone like Lapierre or Kesler who go at the defense hard every shift, and not worry about making cute passes to set up goals (yet).

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Kassian isn't ready to ride shotgun with the Sedins on a line that gets fed soft zone starts, but you want to see an all-rookie 3rd line? WTF?

I would actually prefer to see other players spoon fed softer zone starts in an effort to boost our secondary scoring. If the Sedins production drops to 50-60 points as a result then we simply don't re-sign them the following year. If the Sedins continue to produce at a PPG rate, while at the same time boosting the scoring of our secondary scorers then we become a better offensive team.

Putting Kassian on the Sedin line could potentially hurt that line as opposed to improving that line. I don't see what Kassian has done to deserve playing top line minutes in the NHL over someone like Dale Weise (let alone someone like Burrows who has actually produced in the NHL and has proven chemistry with the Sedins).

I think that's a bad idea. Gillis brought Kassian in to be a power forward, but right now he still wants to play a finesse game. He's not likely to rediscover that power game by playing limited minutes with two offensive rookies. He needs to play with someone like Lapierre or Kesler who go at the defense hard every shift, and not worry about making cute passes to set up goals (yet).

That's fair enough. I wouldn't put him on Kesler's line, but on the fourth line with Lapierre would make sense too. My only fear would be Kassian wouldn't get a chance to develop/fine tune his offensive game in that role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->