Programming Thread

May 31, 2006
*bump*

Anyone ever worked with Julia before? It's supposed to combine the data functions and syntax of R/Python/MATLAB with the high performance of C++.

I got a couple of online books to learn a bit, hopefully to supplement my terrible R coding ability.

Sep 19, 2008
A lot of the programming is tilted now towards JS, Angular, JQuery, all that stuff. I am more of a back end guy but I'm always willing to learn. I guess a good programmer has to know both.

Reynys

Apr 30, 2011
I'm writing code as a hobby, although because of job I do not have lot of opportunities to do so, being construction worker (weird combo I know).
mostly trying C++ and some HTML/Javascript. Usually I end up making some small programs for my own amusement, never really made anything worth mentioning, tho I once tried making hockey career game, but that was never finished, as in the end I was unhappy with the way I written it, so unfinished it still floats out there in sourceforge.

Saitama

Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
This is something that I wish I could go back in time and tell my younger self to get into. I've always been interested in getting into this field as a career but never did take the leap. I've only got about 20 working years left, so not sure it would be worthwhile attempting it now.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
This is something that I wish I could go back in time and tell my younger self to get into. I've always been interested in getting into this field as a career but never did take the leap. I've only got about 20 working years left, so not sure it would be worthwhile attempting it now.

I went back to school at 29 to study this stuff and I don't regret it at all. I have closer to 30 working years left but I don't think it's too late. I made the same salary in my first job out of college that I made after working almost 10 years in the banking industry.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Was just looking to start a programming thread but I found this.

Software consultant here. Mostly use C# and Angular 6 for web development now. Thankfully where I work we are in the process of moving a bunch of POS WinForms apps over to web, which is much more fun.

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I do love gaming, but I'm not sure I would enjoy a AAA environment. For one, I'm not a huge fan of C++, or I should say I don't like dealing with the low level stuff, which is quite essential if you want to be a programmer in the gaming industry, and two, making video games for me is like a stress relief, if I had it as a career I think I would hate it.

I feel the same about not wanting to ruin my passion projects by making it an actual career. It really depends on the job and company though.

Additionally the game industry doesn't pay that well relative to non-gamedev software developer positions. Esp considering the amount of work you are expected to put in with the crunch time. So unless you feel REALLY passionate about games, it is probably not worth the opportunity cost for most developers.

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
Additionally the game industry doesn't pay that well relative to non-gamedev software developer positions. Esp considering the amount of work you are expected to put in with the crunch time. So unless you feel REALLY passionate about games, it is probably not worth the opportunity cost for most developers.

I'll play Devil's Advocate here.
While it's absolutely true that on average the Video Game Industry pays less to Software Devs than the rest of the industry, I will go with the cliche saying that I NEVER once felt like I didn't want to get up to go to work once in the past 5 years of employment.

I have a friend (also a programmer) who has bounced from job to job (5 jobs in the past 5 years), HATING every single one of them for various reasons.
All he can think about when he gets into work is that he can't wait to leave in 8 hours.
He religiously counts his work hours to make sure he doesn't exceed 35 working hours/week.

To me this is NO way to live.

As already mentioned, while the money isn't as good as if I worked at another tech company, the work is super fulfilling, and it's not like I live in poverty.
I make enough for my lifestyle + enough to squirrel away for later (of course more wouldn't hurt). But of course my circumstances aren't the same as anyone else's.

On the topic of crunch, it's really down to a person to person basis.
On Far Cry 5, I did little to no OT. That was a personal stance I took for myself on this project.
Previously, I did do a heavy amount of extra hours on FC4 and FC Primal.

Reactions: MacBradley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad