Programming Thread

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Games. I'm a programmer working on Far Cry 5.

That's awesome, what kind of programming are you involved in? Graphics, physics, gameplay, etc?

I did OpenGL and some work using the Ogre3D rendering engine back in college with C++. Then later on I attempted some stuff on frameworks such as SDL and SFML. Ultimately I realized that if I'm doing this gaming thing on the side, it will take me a while to release something significant without using an engine of some sort. Long story short, this led me to Unity where I do all my script programming in C#.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I make games in Unity too. I actually majored in Games, even though I'm still unsure about working in the industry. The job I have now has really good pay and benefits and is really chill so I'm not looking to switch.

I have been wanting to do a VR game in Unity but haven't quite got around to it.

Last edited:

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
Do you unit test

I don't usually use the term 'unit' test, but yes, I often test small independent branches of fixes and issues. I will generally script some automated calls to do this minor work.

I mostly work on connectors and API's, using postman. I don't really do any UI or 'clicking' work.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I make games in Unity too. I actually majored in Games, even though I'm still unsure about working in the industry. The job I have now has really good pay and benefits and is really chill so I'm not looking to switch.

I have been wanting to do a VR game in Unity but haven't quite got around to it.

I hear ya, my educational background is software engineering, I built a solid career out of doing a lot of diverse development work (Web, Desktop, Database, Automation, etc), most of my experience has been in Microsoft technologies, so a huge chunk of my work involves C# programming along with MS SQL Server for database, but I have worked plenty with Javascript, VBscript, VB.NET, XML, etc.

I do love gaming, but I'm not sure I would enjoy a AAA environment. For one, I'm not a huge fan of C++, or I should say I don't like dealing with the low level stuff, which is quite essential if you want to be a programmer in the gaming industry, and two, making video games for me is like a stress relief, if I had it as a career I think I would hate it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4tdjx818vf43rb/Builds.zip?dl=0

That's a link to a small game I made if anyone wants to try it out. There isn't much there honestly, it's more about some cool tricks I came up with to make a Starfox clone. The movement and aiming was a little tricky but I'm happy with how it turned out.

That's pretty cool, needs a lot of polishing but the controls are decent. I actually released my first game on Android about 4 months ago, granted it was flop, but it's pretty much getting my feet wet to see what releasing a game feels like. Mind you I did zero marketing for it and I would even say the thing is a very basic looking prototype.

I'm sort of excited about the game I'm working on now, I will release it for iOS/Android sometime this year then move on to the PC world since I'm getting sick of mobile.

Here's a small footage of what I'm working on:

Last edited:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I hear ya, my educational background is software engineering, I built a solid career out of doing a lot of diverse development work (Web, Desktop, Database, Automation, etc), most of my experience has been in Microsoft technologies, so a huge chunk of my work involves C# programming along with MS SQL Server for database, but I have worked plenty with Javascript, VBscript, VB.NET, XML, etc.

I do love gaming, but I'm not sure I would enjoy a AAA environment. For one, I'm not a huge fan of C++, or I should say I don't like dealing with the low level stuff, which is quite essential if you want to be a programmer in the gaming industry, and two, making video games for me is like a stress relief, if I had it as a career I think I would hate it.

That's pretty cool, needs a lot of polishing but the controls are decent. I actually released my first game on Android about 4 months ago, granted it was flop, but it's pretty much getting my feet wet to see what releasing a game feels like. Mind you I did zero marketing for it and I would even say the thing is a very basic looking prototype.

I'm sort of excited about the game I'm working on now, I will release it for iOS/Android sometime this year then move on to the PC world since I'm getting sick of mobile.

Here's a small footage of what I'm working on:

I feel the same about not wanting to ruin my passion projects by making it an actual career. It really depends on the job and company though.

Your game looks good! Mine is nowhere close to release, it was never intended as such. It was actually just done as an assignment for an intro to game dev class I did... it's actually only the 2nd game I've ever made, but I am still happy with some of the tricks I pulled off (and used similar mechanics in future games). I do hope to go through the whole process of releasing a game (Even for free) but I feel I need a partner or 2 to keep me on track.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I feel the same about not wanting to ruin my passion projects by making it an actual career. It really depends on the job and company though.

Your game looks good! Mine is nowhere close to release, it was never intended as such. It was actually just done as an assignment for an intro to game dev class I did... it's actually only the 2nd game I've ever made, but I am still happy with some of the tricks I pulled off (and used similar mechanics in future games). I do hope to go through the whole process of releasing a game (Even for free) but I feel I need a partner or 2 to keep me on track.

Takes time to get the hang of it, if you're interested and looking for people to work with, I'll send you a PM for a discord gamedev community that has 1000+ members from many different fields. It's a very active community and I was able to find people to work with there.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I can't program my way out of a paper bag.

I've done C++, Java, 6800 assembly, and Matlab in school. I think it would've been easier, if I had a computer as a kid, like 5 or 6, instead of getting my first when I was 18, because it usually made me feel like a fish out of water when trying to get it.

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
That's awesome, what kind of programming are you involved in? Graphics, physics, gameplay, etc?

I did OpenGL and some work using the Ogre3D rendering engine back in college with C++. Then later on I attempted some stuff on frameworks such as SDL and SFML. Ultimately I realized that if I'm doing this gaming thing on the side, it will take me a while to release something significant without using an engine of some sort. Long story short, this led me to Unity where I do all my script programming in C#.

I'm on the UI team. Technically part of the Gameplay team.

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
I've been a government drone for 16 years. Started with VB, now doing C# and Java.

Good code shouldn't have to have comments.

This is good, in theory, but unfortunately, the many of the people that implement that theory are not writing good code. On many occasions earlier in my career I have said "This is great code, no need to comment!". Fast forward 6 years to add a new feature and I have no clue what it does or what it is used for. Do yourself, and the next guy, a favour and comment.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Pascal anyone? A lot of fond memories with Turbo Pascal.

And C, and Java.

But only in school and for entertainment purposes.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I'm seeing that most people have worked in popular languages, has anyone done anything different? Like low level programming in Assembly or functional programming (Haskell for example).

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
I'm seeing that most people have worked in popular languages, has anyone done anything different? Like low level programming in Assembly or functional programming (Haskell for example).

I learned LISP in college but i haven't touched it in 20 years :P

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I learned LISP in college but i haven't touched it in 20 years :P

It seems like not many do anything with functional languages, but apparently they're great for math. I dabbled with Haskell and F#, going through the tutorials was enough for me, though one time I suggested to my boss that we should use F#, looking back at that moment, not sure what da heck I was thinking :laugh:

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I had a class that was primarily Scheme and Prolog (which are both horrible), and then a "compilers" class where we had to create a compiler that prints out the proper assembly language for a given command. That was pretty fun.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Logo? ;)

logo_6.jpg

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007

I'll be really impressed if anyone has experience in this, but I have some academic experience with COBOL.
I'm told that banks will pay handsomely for programmer who can work in this language.

I guess "off the beaten path" stuff I've done include Ruby on Rails

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I'll be really impressed if anyone has experience in this, but I have some academic experience with COBOL.
I'm told that banks will pay handsomely for programmer who can work in this language.

I guess "off the beaten path" stuff I've done include Ruby on Rails

I did Cobol back in college, and you're right, banks would pay a lot to programmers who know it (It was the reason they offered the class). I had a buddy in my program who ended up doing coop with CIBC, to this day he's still working as a Cobol programmer and making lots of money.

I personally did not like it, maybe because I did not like how the program was set up, specifically when you set up your variables, you had to do your input/output and working storage variables all separate. You also had to specify the number of characters you'll need to use since our programs printed reports to financial problems based on data files given to us. To make matters worse, we did all the coding on an AS/400 machine lol.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011

Only in school. Makes me want to kms. Having to write something like 50 lines of code just to execute a simple for loop. Noty.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Does anyone work the front end like js or ANGULAR

I did a good chunk of JS in my days, but it was usually a side thing along with server side and database stuff. I have not done a lot of angular stuff though in one of my latest work projects I had some exposure. Most of the JS libraries I have worked with are jQuery and Ajax.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad