Boston Globe Professional sports confront a stormy financial future.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is the brutal reality of the next few months.

The Boston Globe ( whose owner also is the majority owner of the Red Sox) takes a hard look at what lies ahead.

The experts seem to believe that a Champions League soccer game in Milan contributed to the explosion of the virus in both Italy and Spain.

Already, city and state government officials including Los Angeles mayor Eric Garcetti, California governor Gavin Newsom, and New York mayor Bill de Blasio have all but ruled out the idea of fans in the stands before 2021.

The NFL can function without fan revenue - MLB and the NBA could also limp on but can the NHL??? :dunno:

PAYWALL What will the sports fan’s experience look like after coronavirus? - The Boston Globe

Initially, it seems virtually certain that there will be a period — measured at least in months — in which fans aren’t permitted into sports venues at all. There could be a gradual reopening of facilities where they aren’t empty but aren’t ready to be filled.

“Assuming no vaccine, no antiviral antidote, then I think what happens after the period of no fans, we move to a period of everybody separated by one seat and every row separated,” conjectured Smith College economics professor Andrew Zimbalist. “That basically takes your stadium or arena capacity down to 25 percent of its normal level. So, Fenway, instead of having roughly 40,000 fans will now have roughly 10,000 fans at a sellout game.”

Crowd composition could be altered further by profiling. Might teams discourage those at greater risk of serious complications from COVID-19 — those over 60, or those with preexisting conditions — from going to games? Would teams restrict tickets to — or feature different seating plans for — those who could document they had developed antibodies to the coronavirus?

▪ Decontamination of stands will have to become a staple of stadium operations. Hand sanitizer will become omnipresent in concourses. Cleaning staffs would have to be vigilant about the “high-touch” areas of facilities — including railings (both in stands and on escalators) and elevator buttons.

▪ Might there be a requirement for spectators to wear masks? If so, masks with team logos might replace caps or jerseys as the most frequently seen form of team apparel.

▪ With diminished crowds, it’s possible some of the standard issues at sporting events of overcrowded restrooms would be resolved. Still, teams might restrict the number of people in a restroom at any given time.

▪ It’s a quintessential part of the stadium experience: A hot dog passed from vendor to fan to fan to fan, with cash flowing back in the other direction. In all likelihood, that familiar ritual will be gone.

“They’ll have to have no stadium vendors,” said Zimbalist. “They’re not going to have people passing hot dogs down or passing anything down. That has to stop.”

▪ At an extreme, it’s possible sports venues could eliminate food and beverages entirely. Yet given that takeout remains an option during this time of isolation, it seems more likely that food will remain available but in different form.

That could mean pre-ordered boxed meals or wrapped concessions that are purchased at the same time as the ticket to minimize the exchange of food and money. Food boxes could be available for pickup from carts or some other more secure mechanism once inside the stadium.

▪ Beer and alcohol would be particularly complicated because of the need for ID checks. Given that teams would be reliant on fans to “self-police” their behavior and act in responsible fashion to observe social distancing tenets, it’s possible sales of alcohol could be restricted or eliminated.

Last edited:

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Thanks @Fenway. That article provides further reinforcement of the idea that sports will not be returning anytime soon, regardless of whether the players play in empty arenas/stadiums. There are simply too many risks, variables and logistical considerations that factor into bringing sports back. A recent article in the NYT also deals with this issue: The Coronavirus Doesn’t Care When Sports Come Back.

"Meanwhile, owners, executives and athletes — and all the related businesses and workers who depend on them — are increasingly worried about the economic damage from this prolonged, inescapable off-season.

"But the hurdles to any return are numerous, and they start with securing access to tests for the virus and persuading players and officials to agree to strict confinement, among other conditions.

"[...] M.L.B. officials say Arizona, where half of the league holds its spring training, has enough hotel rooms and baseball diamonds to put on some version of The Show. They estimate that some 3,000 people probably would need to be tested regularly — players, club staff members, umpires and the broadcast contingent.

“What are you going to do with family members?” asked Mike Trout, the sport’s biggest star, whose salary breaks down to $222,222 per game.

“My wife is pregnant, what am I going to do when she goes into labor? Am I going to have to quarantine for two weeks after I come back? Because obviously I can’t miss that birth of our first child. So, there’s a lot of red flags, there’s a lot of questions,” Mr. Trout said in an interview on NBC Sports Network. “Obviously, we would have to agree on it as players. But I think the mentality is we want to get back as soon as we can, but obviously it’s got to be realistic.”

Reactions: Maine Fan

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
I watched a live eSports Formula 1 race last night for the first time ever. Real F1 drivers along with pro athletes from other sports were taking part and I don't know if it was my overwhelming craving for anything resembling live competitive sports or what but I actually quite enjoyed it. I'm not a gamer but the graphics were so convincing that it was quite easy to get absorbed into it.

I imagine eSports will see a big jump in popularity over the next few months in the absence of real sport. I don't think I'll become a follower but having said that I would watch an eSports F1 race again

Reactions: BrainOfJ

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I am concerned about the financial viability of sports as well as the retail industry in the short term. In the long term these industries will have to re-invent themselves.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Regional contracts are good for everything that isn’t NFL. Those channels rely on them. The amount these players make is screw you money. Even with a paycut they’ll still do well. Demand has never been higher and TV ratings will be insane.

These are peak healthy 20 somethings with the best access to medical care imaginable. Hope common sense prevails. This horrible virus is terrifying if you work in healthcare or even have to stand at a register for 10 hours while the entire community passes through as everything else is closed unable to breath because you have to wear a mask that isn’t even n95. But if anyone can deal with the risk it’s athletes.

Sports are recession proof. Stadiums will be full when other crowded places are. Predatory pricing for parking and concessions will keep folks away more than the virus.

I went to literally every home playoff game 08-12 when it was still affordable. Can’t wait to do the same shame it’ll be at the cost of ST holders taking baths on stubhub and not as a ST holder myself.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Influenza ended and was followed by the greatest economic boom the world had ever seen. People were told to go outside and get some fresh air.

We are closing everything possible with regards to outdoor recreation. Send someone to CVS for more TP for the 6th time this week and not for a hike.

The roads might not have 830am commuter traffic but they are still slammed inside 128. We’re not that shut. I think teams should just continue the season at their practice facilities. End it ASAP and start the playoffs. Manchester idea is probably too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad