Professional players dominate Phoenix Coyotes mid-season Top 20 ranking

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

The Phoenix Coyotes prospect pool is loaded with players who are already playing professional hockey. Most of these players are playing for the Coyotes’ AHL affiliate team, the Portland Pirates. With the Pirates recently clinching a playoff spot, these prospects will gain valuable post-season experience early on in their careers.

The Coyotes lack a forward with superstar potential, but they have an abundance of role players who possess a strong work ethic.

1. (1) Brandon Gormley, D, 8.0B
Drafted 1st round, 13th overall, 2010

In his first professional season, Brandon Gormley is adjusting quickly to the speed of the game.… read more

More...

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Surprised by a couple of placements.

Haven't really seen Rieder, but was surprised that he landed at #6. I didn't think he'd be above a guy like Miele, but if he's seen as having that high a ceiling, I'm even more impressed with the trade.

I was also surprised that Lessio landed as high as he did after having a shortened season. I know he was considered a lock for the WJC team, but the fact that he's missed some development time would have made me slide him a spot or two in this ranking, at least until he gets a few more games in.

Hunter Fejes doesn't belong on this list at all. He's not really even close to #20 in my ranking. Mathieu Brisebois was a finalist for best D-man in the Q and he doesn't make the list, but Fejes mediocre freshman season gets him on the list? I like Brodeur, Goncharov, and Ruuttu as potential NHLers before I have Fejes on the list, somewhere around #25, maybe later.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Fejes was impressive as a bottom line player for Colorado College every time I had the chance to watch him play. I mostly saw him when the Tigers played DU and I like him almost as much as I like Zac Larraza, who stands out a little more because he likes to throw the big hit. I would put him on the list before Fejes but I like both of these players more than Phil Lane.

I'm pretty sure we traded down to draft Visentin.

Last edited:

mitch27

Sep 6, 2009
Windsor, Ontario
I'm pretty sure we traded down to draft Visentin.

Yikes. Glaring oversight by myself. I'll get that fixed. Thanks.

Regarding Brisebois and Fejes, it's difficult to compare them. You have to remember that Brisebois is an overager and Fejes is a freshman. As Fejes matures his role at Colorado College will increase as well. As Kimahri said, he was really impressive in his role this season. While Brisebois had a tremendous year, I feel like Fejes projects better as an NHLer.

There is no doubt of Lessio's skill level and ability, regardless of the fact that he missed a lot of the season. He's still one of the best prospects in the system.

It looks more and more likely that Goncharov will never be an NHLer. I feel the same way about Brodeur.

Kimahri, it was a toss up between Fejes and Larraza for the final spot. I like Fejes just a little bit more.

Last edited:

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Yikes. Glaring oversight by myself. I'll get that fixed. Thanks.

Regarding Brisebois and Fejes, it's difficult to compare them. You have to remember that Brisebois is an overager and Fejes is a freshman. As Fejes matures his role at Colorado College will increase as well. As Kimahri said, he was really impressive in his role this season. While Brisebois had a tremendous year, I feel like Fejes projects better as an NHLer.

There is no doubt of Lessio's skill level and ability, regardless of the fact that he missed a lot of the season. He's still one of the best prospects in the system.

It looks more and more likely that Goncharov will never be an NHLer. I feel the same way about Brodeur.

Kimahri, it was a toss up between Fejes and Larraza for the final spot. I like Fejes just a little bit more.

Very cool. Thanks for the insight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad