Professional Hockey returning to Indy (ECHL in 2014-15)

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
Pretty impressive, huh?

I was worried this team wouldn't win 10 games, and now I'm curious if they'll have a 10-game win streak. Sports is about experiencing the highs and lows but once your team finally feels it's first high, it's a huge relief to the system.

I went to the opening night game against Fort Wayne. Really jacked up crowd of about 6,500 and it was nice that they have pulled out all the stops as far as making the atmosphere like that of a mini-Blackhawks game with the same goal celebration music. Any seat in the building is great, but I was hoping the venue would hold closer to 10k. Probably would've been overkill though seeing how empty the stands are for the Tuesday evening games I catch on TV.

The trades they made back in January seem to be paying off. They definitely needed to shake things up because the team just wasn't gelling. I just wish the local news outlets would give throw them a bone with some coverage. They always send the sports guy out to Victory Field to cover the Indianapolis Indians, why not send him to the Fairgrounds when they're having a promotional event, like when they had the guys from the movie "Slap Shot" there?

It's too bad that their jerseys are more similar to the Calgary Flames'--why not be more like Rockford's? I don't know what else they could do to generate a more sustainable buzz that translates into higher attendance numbers, on average. I think the location hurts a bit--the Fairgrounds Coliseum isn't really close to any of the suburbs and that area is always on the news for the wrong reasons. Also, that area is one of the most congested in the city around the time most games start. It's a hard sell for someone in Greenwood, Carmel, or Plainfield compared to if the team played downtown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad