Professional hockey returning to Houston area in 2015?

Aero 75

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, Tx
With the construction of the Grand Texas Entertainment District in Montgomery County, Texas, comes news of a new hockey arena "which will house a professional hockey team with seating for up to 6,200" in Oct. 2015. No indication of what professional league is in talks with the arena to house a team there, and the arena has been described as similar to the Cedar Park Center (Texas Stars).

http://ourtribune.com/article.php?id=16117

http://grandtx.com/venues/montgomery-county-event-center/

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Here's hoping. Just a shame that Houston had to lose the Aeros in the first place just because the owner of the venue didn't want them around any more. The market has a proven history of success at the minor league level.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Exactly my thinking, the AHL is full right now so the Aeros could be a supplement to the Americans when they move to the ECHL. I hope the Wild do a new team to use the Aeros name and logo, I don't think they would have any reservations of it. I'm glad Houston is soon going to be back in pro hockey they shouldn't have lost the Aeros in the first place.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Exactly my thinking, the AHL is full right now so the Aeros could be a supplement to the Americans when they move to the ECHL. I hope the Wild do a new team to use the Aeros name and logo, I don't think they would have any reservations of it. I'm glad Houston is soon going to be back in pro hockey they shouldn't have lost the Aeros in the first place.

you're forgetting one thing....

MSE owns the AHL Affiliate 100%, mk, has for years except the name Aeros and they already have an ECHL affiliate: Orlando.

Allen, if they move to the ECHL after 5 years in the CHL would have to align w/ someone else, preferably Dallas or San Antonio w/ assistance from Florida.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Yeah a stupid typo on my behalf: my post was supposed to say "I hope the Wild allow a new team to use the Aeros name and logo."

I'm aware that MSE owns the Aeros and has an affiliation with Orlando. Allen would definitely affiliate with Dallas they have a few former Stars in their front office. And the Texas Stars have called up a number of players from Allen.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Yeah a stupid typo on my behalf: my post was supposed to say "I hope the Wild allow a new team to use the Aeros name and logo."

I'm aware that MSE owns the Aeros and has an affiliation with Orlando. Allen would definitely affiliate with Dallas they have a few former Stars in their front office. And the Texas Stars have called up a number of players from Allen.

that'll depend on whether Chuck Watson returned or got back the rights from MSE, when the lease broke down and he got bought out of the Aeros, per the original deal.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Well it could be like the sale of the Rivermen this past year, Vancouver bought the Rivermen, but the new SPHL incarnation of the Rivermen was formed quickly and I found no mention of the owners having to purchase the Rivermen identity back from Vancouver. Maybe I just missed it though.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV

MSE owns the AHL Affiliate 100%, mk, has for years except the name Aeros and they already have an ECHL affiliate: Orlando.

Allen, if they move to the ECHL after 5 years in the CHL would have to align w/ someone else, preferably Dallas or San Antonio w/ assistance from Florida.

Based on the late announcement of Idaho and Dallas renewing, I think Allen was the first choice for their ECHL affiliate and when that fell through, they returned to Idaho.

With regards to Peoria, the Blues never trademarked the Rivermen name so it was free for the taking once the AHL Rivs left.

HockeylessInHouston

May 29, 2007
There are a couple of things wrong with this proposal:

1) The developers know nothing about hockey nor how to attract a team.

2) This thing is being built out in the middle of nowhere. Maybe people in the Woodlands could get out there, but it is too far away from the affluent suburbs like Sugar Land, Pearland, or League City (or for that matter affluent parts of Houston proper) to be viable for anything but weekend afternoon games.

3) The hockey part of the development seems to be a last minute add-on.

To be viable, and get out of Les Alexanders government-protected monopoly, a new arena would need to go into Sugar Land or Pearland.

Aero 75

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, Tx
The problem with locating a team in the suburbs is you're going to put some distance between yourself and the opposite sides of town from where you're located. Since the Woodlands area is one of the fastest growing suburbs of Houston, and will soon be adding 10,000 new jobs at the currently under construction Exxon-Mobil campus, the new arena is situated to feed off of that growth. As far as Sugar Land is concerned, the Aeros were in discussions with them to build a new arena in Sugar Land, but those talks didn't provide the hoped for outcome. Similarly, La Marque, Tx. (south of League City) explored the possibility of building a 7,000 seat hockey arena for a proposed WPHL franchise adjacent to the dog race track when that facility was booming in the late 1990's. I will agree that the hockey arena at Grand Texas is a last minute add-on, but that is primarily because the Aeros leaving Houston is still a recent event. (7 months ago, Houston still had a hockey team.) They saw an opportunity, and they acted quickly on it.

http://web.caller.com/2000/february/06/today/local_sp/8041.html

http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/14064051/

Last edited:

HockeylessInHouston

May 29, 2007

Off da post and in

Dec 2, 2013
"A hockey team" would also open up the possibility of the NAHL.

Really!! Why do so many posters on these threads think that every town in America needs a Junior Level team? Nearly every discussion has somebody stating the USHL or NAHL as a replacement franchise option.

There are currently 24 NAHL teams, and a total of 95 junior teams at the tier I,II,and III levels in the USA alone. There are even more junior teams in Canada.

IMO, that's enough teams to develop NCAA, CIS, or Pro talent.

tvboy11

May 3, 2013
Based on the late announcement of Idaho and Dallas renewing, I think Allen was the first choice for their ECHL affiliate and when that fell through, they returned to Idaho.

Those two have been together for about a decade - that's quite the show of stability seeing as how some teams seem to switch affiliates about every other year. It could also have been as simple as "we'll finalize the paperwork later."

Aero 75

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, Tx
"A hockey team" would also open up the possibility of the NAHL.

Since the developers have stated the arena would "house a professional hockey team", I would think that the NAHL is not an option, since it is a Junior A Tier II league. Can't see anyone building a new arena, which they describe as similar to Cedar Park Center, and not try to bring the highest level of hockey possible back to the Houston area. Probably won't know anything till after this hockey season is over, if then, concerning what professional league is interested in placing a team there. A return to the AHL would be great, but we shall see.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Honestly, the fact that there is no hockey in Houston upsets me. It's why I haven't followed the AHL as much.

I can't believe they had to leave just because some guy didn't want them. I am hoping that another hockey team in the greater Houston area joins. Personally, the travel schedule may be daunting, but if Allen joins the ECHL next year, I'd like to see a Houston team join that league as well.

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA

True but the echl affiliate contracts are one year only they have to renew every year So the affilation with houston might be probable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad