Prodigious Goalies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soyunperdedor

Oct 17, 2005
Hmmm, when was the last time you heard that the next "Patrick Roy" was coming up through the minor leagues? Any idea why great goalies don't get as much hype as the latest offensive talent sheering through the qmjhl (never the dub, weird)?

In the past few years, goalies have been being drafted higher then they ever were (Dipietro, Fleury), yet they aren't getting the same hype as other high ceiling players. What gives?

Also, any idea what makes Kelowna goalies so dominent, yet not even being looked at by NHL scouts? For instance, two years ago while the Rockets were tearing it up (and go on to win the cup, I might add) Kelly Guard was breaking records for fewest goals scored, single season shutouts, and career shutouts, yet is now most likely warming pine in Binghamton. This guy was the MVP at the Memorial Cup for (insert religious personnal here)'s sakes! Sure, he played behind one of the most stingiest defences in CHL history (which gave birth to defensive greats such as Josh Georges, Scott Hannan, and Shea Weber) but a goalie who wins, is a goalie that is doing his job.

So, there's my rant from a 15 year old who is finally realising that his NHL pipe dreams are nothing but ... well, pipe dreams.

P.S. I never played goalie in my life...

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Leachmeister2000 said:
Ever heard of Lehtonen?

EDIT: I wasn't intending to sound like a total jerk off.

The hypes on Lehtonen came after he get drafted ... no one thought he could do as well as he is doing right now ... and no one thought he could have a Brodeur career style.

Yeah, IMO, no goalie seems to have these kind of hypes ... but goalies are strange, and their performance too.

P.S. I play goaltender for almost 15 years now :)

Brad*

EagleBelfour said:
The hypes on Lehtonen came after he get drafted ... no one thought he could do as well as he is doing right now ... and no one thought he could have a Brodeur career style.
What?

Lehtonen was one of the most hyped goaltenders before his draft that I can remember.

EagleBelfour said:

Yeah, IMO, no goalie seems to have these kind of hypes ... but goalies are strange, and their performance too.

P.S. I play goaltender for almost 15 years now :)

Lehtonen, along with Bouwmeester, were probably the players who got the earliest hype for the 2002 draft. I remember hearing about him long before his draft year, which isn't something I can say about many other goalies, if any.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Lehtonen made the finnish WJC squad two years before he was drafted, at the time it was a toss-up between Jay-Bo, Nash and Lehtonen for the #1 spot, I think J-Bo had the slight upper hand but he fell to third because of some little side deal Florida made so hence Lehto would have gone #2 anyway. But the main point is, what the hell am I proving?

bertld

Jun 16, 2003
Visit site
My guess as to why the hype doesn't seem as great as it does with the offensive players and to a lesser extent the defensive players is that it is unusual for a goalie to come into the league in the first couple years and make an impact and with most it take 5 or 6 years before they are even in the NHL. With those top offensive and defensive players you are looking at 1-2 years if not immediately in some rare cases.

In a world where we want to see immediate results goalies still take extra development time. This is of course a generalization but I think it is at least a solid premise for what your asking.

This year though we do have some young goalies like Ward, Lehtonen and Lundqvist. Lehtonen is hurt but Ward and Lundqvist have been tearing the league a whole new hole so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad