Probert Question

rondonald

Mar 11, 2009
So I'm reading the Bob Probert book, which has been pretty entertaining, he definitely puts it All out there for you. There's a part where he talks about having an affair with a married woman while in rehab in 1986 and I can't figure out who he was referring to (maybe because I was one year old). Below is the excerpt:

"She was married to a guy whose parents were rich in the sports world. I read about their divorce in the paper the next year. It was a big scandal in the States. They had a terrible custody battle....â€

I was curious to find out who this was and I searched a little, but couldn't find anything...anybody remember or know?

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
So I'm reading the Bob Probert book, which has been pretty entertaining, he definitely puts it All out there for you. There's a part where he talks about having an affair with a married woman while in rehab in 1986 and I can't figure out who he was referring to (maybe because I was one year old). Below is the excerpt:

"She was married to a guy whose parents were rich in the sports world. I read about their divorce in the paper the next year. It was a big scandal in the States. They had a terrible custody battle....”

I was curious to find out who this was and I searched a little, but couldn't find anything...anybody remember or know?

I came across the same question when I read the book, and couldn't find an answer. I would be very interested to know who he was talking about as well.

Interesting book and an easy read for those that are thinking about getting it. It's definitely more focused on what happened off the ice than on, but he gives you some decent insight on some of the other big fighters in the NHL and their fighting styles. He also has a lot of praise for Steve Yzerman as team captain...nothing really about locker room speeches or motivating his team to win, but more about helping out his teammates when they had problems and always having their back and being supportive.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Probert was the "big" brother that used subtle tactics to dissuade opponents from taking runs at Detroit's young franchise center. Alright, those tactics were not that subtle, but Probert was very influential in the development of Yzerman in the early years. The "Chuck" Norris division was like the Wild West in the late 1980's and early 1990's. Yzerman was a young superstar that, being the franchise in Detroit, was on the radar of every goon around. However, the sight of #24 a few feet away successfully ensured that Yzerman could play without looking over his shoulder.

Reactions: HallOfGreatness4

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Remember when Kevin Maguire went after Yzerman in 1987? To be fair Yzerman complied and got beaten pretty bad. Probert saw it and was like a pitbull circling the pack for Maguire. The refs tried to stop him and Tom Barrasso tried to stop him. Probert gave a couple of punches to Barrasso that it literally knocked off his mask and Barrasso was smart enough to back up. All Probert wanted to do was give Maguire a shot for going after Yzerman. He did just that and after the punch Maguire - who was already on the ice under a ref - just lay there motionless. Probert got his point across.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->