Pro-playoff thread

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Who are you going to replace him with? Any decent UFA is getting a NMC, because they and their agents know about the expansion draft and will trade off teams against each to get their NMC.

Then we accept that we can't be a bubble team and sell or look for the tier of UFA that doesn't have a choice.

Hence my targeting of Lovejoy and Eberle who aren't likely to get a lot of amazing offers this off season.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Hilarious how you probably won’t see one poster from early in this breed admit they were wrong.

They’ll be back to do the exact same BS next year only to disappear into the abyss when the expected results happen again.

You mean... the posters saying they liked the idea of playoffs more than tanking but didn't think it was super likely?

...or the one or two guys who are always the same super optimist guy? RMB? Stan? :dunno:

Are we talking about somebody else? I couldn't find them when I read through the thread again looking for some examples. Don't let me wreck the narrative... but who are these people?
:huh:

Reactions: Nomobo

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
He's not $6 million though, he's $3 million after his bonus is paid this offseason. You trade him to a team under the cap such maybe an Ottawa, Carolina, New Jersey are willing to take him for essentially nothing and if we need to add too much this offseason (where we can afford the cap hit) we try again next season where his real salary drops to $2.5 million per season and try again.

Eriksson still got a limited NTC. Why would he voluntarily move to the Senators when he can block it? He also has $4m in signing bonus money guaranteed during a potential lockout year. The canucks would have to retain some salary and still pay picks to move him.

Eberle is the type of top-six winger we can attract if we don't want to offer term or break the bank. He's not sexy, but he'd make our top six better.

He might be the type we can attract but he's not the type we need.

Roussel and Virtanen are the depth forwards. Roussel is on pace for something like a 10-26-36 point season having missed 5 games, which is pretty good for a third liner when you put him with two other top six players you probably don't want him being the shooter anyway so his goal totals don't matter much. Virtanen is the opposite of a Roussel and you send him up to a line that needs his style if he's called into the top six to fill in for an injury.

Sell high on Roussel. Move him before he regresses because the canucks aren't going to get value from him.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hilarious how you probably won’t see one poster from early in this breed admit they were wrong.

They’ll be back to do the exact same BS next year only to disappear into the abyss when the expected results happen again.

I was pro play out the string this season and avoided both threads until now. I always figured we'd miss the playoffs, but I don't want to go full Oil and waste years of Pettersson, Boeser, and Horvat (Stetcher, Hutton, and Demko to a lesser extent as well) by going full rebuild 2.0 on this team. I was hoping for a modest improvement in our overall point total, the ability to move a few players at the draft, and a bit of cap flexibility to sign a top-six winger, an inexpensive defenseman, and add by subtraction to our crowded bottom six.

I think we can do all of that and could stand to improve further next season and in the future if we don't go too far with trying to win or trying to rebuild. Next year's TDL and offseason are likely to be much more fruitful in terms or choosing a new direction then this season was so I choked this up as a very bland play out the string year which is how it's played out.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Too funny..this 'playoffs' thread was created by a longtime negative poster, and most of the thread is dominated by negative posters...

Not many people had this team as playoff team.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
You mean... the posters saying they liked the idea of playoffs more than tanking but didn't think it was super likely?

...or the one or two guys who are always the same super optimist guy? RMB? Stan? :dunno:

Are we talking about somebody else? I couldn't find them when I read through the thread again looking for some examples. Don't let me wreck the narrative... but who are these people?

Second group. I’ll admit I didn’t even bother to read the start of this thread because I’m not going to waste my time reading false hopes but we all know who the posters here are that think this is a playoff team.

Even if it’s not in this thread, it’s been all over this board in every thread about how this team has smashed through expectations (LOL) and are a playoff caliber team.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Eriksson still got a limited NTC. Why would he voluntarily move to the Senators when he can block it? He also has $4m in signing bonus money guaranteed during a potential lockout year. The canucks would have to retain some salary and still pay picks to move him.

As a GM I'd tell Eriksson that we don't have room for him and simply can't afford to keep him at his price. A buyout is untenable and we still feel like he can play, but he was drafted to compliment a Sedin lead playoff push and that hasn't happened. Let him know that his options are the pressbox, Utica, or a trade to any other team that will take him.

He might be the type we can attract but he's not the type we need.

I think a less injury prone Baertschi has value to this team and that's what I see Eberle as. He's no leap forward but with him, our winger depth looks like Boeser, Eberle, Pearson, Leivo, Roussel, Virtanen, MacEwen, Gaunce, Spooner, possibly Eriksson and Goldobin but using assets from Goldobin to move Eriksson seems like a smart move.

That's not amazing depth, but I'm not looking to build an amazing team next season. I'm looking to build a team 5-10 points better than our current one with some flexibility for next offseason when I feel we're better positioned to look at big shakeups.

Sell high on Roussel. Move him before he regresses because the canucks aren't going to get value from him.

I don't see that happening unless we replace Benning and I think if that's going to happen it'll be next season. I'm trying to be reasonable about what we can expect to happen with moves like Eriksson being dumped as a product of pressure on Benning from above to fix his mistakes.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria

He wants apologies from everyone who was optimistic about the playoffs. He takes this very serous.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He wants apologies from everyone who was optimistic about the playoffs. He takes this very serous.

Where did it say I want an apology? I don’t need your sad apology, I want it to be known just how wrong the exact same group of posters here are wrong on just about everything.

You can pass off everything as just being optimistic because you never engage in any sort of discussion so you never have a clear stance on anything.

ErrantShepherd

Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Too funny..this 'playoffs' thread was created by a longtime negative poster, and most of the thread is dominated by negative posters...

Honestly, I can understand why some people are so negative now towards the end of the season.

It's hard to see the team show well initially, and then dash your hopes. One of these seasons is hard enough to watch, but to have at least five seasons of that after being a dominating team is a hard pill to swallow.

My two current worries for the coming seasons are that we either get mired in mediocrity, or just end up wasting all of Pettersson's ELC years.

Still, every season has a chance for improvement... so hopefully we see progress instead of regression.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Honestly, I can understand why some people are so negative now towards the end of the season.

It's hard to see the team show well initially, and then dash your hopes. One of these seasons is hard enough to watch, but to have at least five seasons of that after being a dominating team is a hard pill to swallow.

My two current worries for the coming seasons are that we either get mired in mediocrity, or just end up wasting all of Pettersson's ELC years.

Still, every season has a chance for improvement... so hopefully we see progress instead of regression.

We’ve wasted all years of Boeser and Horvat’s ELC years. We’ve wasted 1/3 of Pettersson’s and if Hughes signs could be 1/3 for him too.

Now it’s onto wasting prime years.

ErrantShepherd

Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
We’ve wasted all years of Boeser and Horvat’s ELC years. We’ve wasted 1/3 of Pettersson’s and if Hughes signs could be 1/3 for him too.

Yeah, I guess if our drafting trend continues though... we go onto picking up 3/5 more top notch players out of the first round in the next five years? (Who we promptly waste the ELCs of)

...jeez, how the hell does a team get out of that cycle? Feels like Florida is stuck in it.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC

It's a good thing we used that cap space on players we could offload for futures..oh wait.....

ErrantShepherd

Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
It's a good thing we used that cap space on players we could offload for futures..oh wait.....
We have uh... uhm... a future of former Stanley Cup Winner Tanner Pearson? :sarcasm:

Maybe we should just accumulate all the bit players from Stanley Cup winning teams? I know I argued at one point that Beagle's experience was valuable... but my God, what if we had 10 times that experience!?

:naughty:

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Where did it say I want an apology? I don’t need your sad apology, I want it to be known just how wrong the exact same group of posters here are wrong on just about everything.

You can pass off everything as just being optimistic because you never engage in any sort of discussion so you never have a clear stance on anything.
Good that you say you aren’t looking for an apology, no need to apologize for being optimistic. Your post basically amounted to not much more than trolling in the PRO PLAYOFF thread. As a pro tanker and moderator you should know that you’re in the wrong thread.
I don’t really need to write an essay to clarify where I stand which is pro team and not pro Benning or anti whatever regime preceded this one. Often there isn’t much to add to the various pro and anti discussions because the points get regurgitated over and over again.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Good that you say you aren’t looking for an apology, no need to apologize for being optimistic. Your post basically amounted to not much more than trolling in the PRO PLAYOFF thread. As a pro tanker and moderator you should know that you’re in the wrong thread.
I don’t really need to write an essay to clarify where I stand which is pro team and not pro Benning or anti whatever regime preceded this one. Often there isn’t much to add to the various pro and anti discussions because the points get regurgitated over and over again.

Part of me wants a stickied thread for Benning supporters to go to, but on the other hand I don't want this to go full Reddit with echochambers. As much as I disagree with the points that Benning supporters make, and question the evidence they use to support their positions, I'd prefer to have their POV represented to some extent on these forums because it's more representative of the general population that way.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Why are you violating board rules by posting pro-tank in the playoffs thread? You're a mod, you should know better.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Maybe we should just accumulate all the bit players from Stanley Cup winning teams? I know I argued at one point that Beagle's experience was valuable... but my God, what if we had 10 times that experience!?

:naughty:

Then we'd have to rouse the players from their rocking chairs to get on the ice. :)

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Agreed,...You can only expect fans to be patient for so long, and Benning going into his 6th year has to produce tangible results next season..The team built up a lot of goodwill earlier in the year, but have lost that with poor performances lately.

Rebuilding teams can have a spike in performance and have promising seasons with a playoff berth, only to revert back to being lousy again.. (Oilers and Flames)...its not linear.

I highly doubt JB will be fired at the end of this season, ...Throwing the whole front office, and scouting mechanism into disarray right before the draft is not a good idea...This off season will be a defining moment for the Canucks and Benning moving forward.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

This long time negative poster created the thread so fools like you wouldn’t come into the pro-tank thread and question our fandom and loyalty.

Also when you say long time I was here cheering for this team a lot longer than you have been here. I’ve been negative since benning has taken over because he’s made so many dumb moves

Also the poster Ryan Miller though playoffs were real and there are others also in this thread that did.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Agreed,...You can only expect fans to be patient for so long, and Benning going into his 6th year has to produce tangible results next season..The team built up a lot of goodwill earlier in the year, but have lost that with poor performances lately.

Rebuilding teams can have a spike in performance and have promising seasons with a playoff berth, only to revert back to being lousy again.. (Oilers and Flames)...its not linear.

I highly doubt JB will be fired at the end of this season, ...Throwing the whole front office, and scouting mechanism into disarray right before the draft is not a good idea...This off season will be a defining moment for the Canucks and Benning moving forward.

Except the Canucks aren't rebuilding, so there goes that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->