Pro-playoff thread

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
Pack it in. 5 points out with 19 games left, chances <8%
Was fun while it lasted I guess? Always was a longshot though, will probably be end up close to the bottom 5 after all

After the loss to AZ, down to 3.8% chance. It will be tough to catch anyone below us but hopefully we can avoid pointlessly passing anyone above us. 7th seed in the lottery here we come!

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
We have a 3.8% chance of playoffs still? Well hot damn! Plan the parade! :naughty:

...anyways, obviously way past the point of realistic playoff hopes for this year. What do you think we should be aiming for next season?

Are playoffs a realistic goal? Or are we still likely finishing in the low end of the league? Which would you prefer, and which do you think is better team wise?

Personally, I still think I prefer the thought of playoffs, or at least being in a more serious playoff race next season. Whether its going to be achievable or not is going to depend on what's done this off season.

We need more quality depth (what else is new?) and we need to bolster the top six forward group with 3 top six players and at least 2 more top four defense. We have lots of tweeners, so maybe someone steps up, but it would be helpful to see some good trades and signings fill those holes.

???1LW - Petey - Brock
???2LW - Bo - ???2RW
Leivo - Gaudette - Virtanen
Roussel - Beagle - Motte

Top six capable?
- Pearson, Goldobin, Leivo?, Spooner? Virtanen? Eriksson?
Bottom six capable?
-Eriksson, Gaunce, MacEwan
Spare parts/Junk
-Schaller, Granlund, Sutter

???1LD - ???2RD
Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Stecher
Hughes - Biega/Schenn

Extras
-Sautner, Brisebois

Spare parts/Junk
- Pouliot

I don't see those spots being filled this summer as overly likely, maybe over the next two seasons we fill them though? Otherwise we will be just treading water.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Making the postseason is a pretty low bar in the NHL. Even if Hughes comes in and sets the world on fire, unless major additions are made on the blueline, we’ll likely be in the same position next year (hovering close to a wild card spot but still out of the playoffs). Course if the team stays healthy (like that’ll happen) who knows.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
We have a 3.8% chance of playoffs still? Well hot damn! Plan the parade! :naughty:

...anyways, obviously way past the point of realistic playoff hopes for this year. What do you think we should be aiming for next season?

Are playoffs a realistic goal? Or are we still likely finishing in the low end of the league? Which would you prefer, and which do you think is better team wise?

Personally, I still think I prefer the thought of playoffs, or at least being in a more serious playoff race next season. Whether its going to be achievable or not is going to depend on what's done this off season.

We need more quality depth (what else is new?) and we need to bolster the top six forward group with 3 top six players and at least 2 more top four defense. We have lots of tweeners, so maybe someone steps up, but it would be helpful to see some good trades and signings fill those holes.

???1LW - Petey - Brock
???2LW - Bo - ???2RW
Leivo - Gaudette - Virtanen
Roussel - Beagle - Motte

Top six capable?
- Pearson, Goldobin, Leivo?, Spooner? Virtanen? Eriksson?
Bottom six capable?
-Eriksson, Gaunce, MacEwan
Spare parts/Junk
-Schaller, Granlund, Sutter

???1LD - ???2RD
Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Stecher
Hughes - Biega/Schenn

Extras
-Sautner, Brisebois

Spare parts/Junk
- Pouliot

I don't see those spots being filled this summer as overly likely, maybe over the next two seasons we fill them though? Otherwise we will be just treading water.
Next season, I see Benning picking up a top 4 dman in UFA,and possibly a forward..I like the bottom 6 which you have penciled in..I see them moving on from Schaller,Granlund and Spooner...

Sutter and Baertschi..?..Two injury prone players..They will probably move on from these two as well.(although, the injuries have plummeted their trade value)..It will be interesting to see if they get back into the lineup this season.

The D should be interesting..Will they retain Schenn if he shows himself to be capable?...They could sell high on Hutton and get a quality winger?..Quinn Hughes will knock a player down the depth chart.

Canucks are set in goal for next season....I'm picking them to make the playoffs next season.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Next season, I see Benning picking up a top 4 dman in UFA,and possibly a forward..I like the bottom 6 which you have penciled in..I see them moving on from Schaller,Granlund and Spooner...

Sutter and Baertschi..?..Two injury prone players..They will probably move on from these two as well.(although, the injuries have plummeted their trade value)..It will be interesting to see if they get back into the lineup this season.

The D should be interesting..Will they retain Schenn if he shows himself to be capable?...They could sell high on Hutton and get a quality winger?..Quinn Hughes will knock a player down the depth chart.

Canucks are set in goal for next season....I'm picking them to make the playoffs next season.
Bookmarked.

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say this thread can get the mercy lock now.

tenor.gif

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC

If we go at our current rate we'll finish with 78 points, improving by 5 over last season. These 5 points in a season where we improved our bottom 6 and added a PPG scorer, but lost a chunk of secondary scoring and possession time when the Sedin's retired.

Our goal for next season should be a similar small improvement and clearing out or preparing to clear out our worst contracts. We should focus on getting better bottom pairing and depth defensemen, finding a short term point (2-year max contract) producer to ride shotgun with Horvat or who allows Boeser to play on Horvat's line. If we can add a few more picks in doing these things that'll work for me.

The roster as follows is possible to start next season:

Eberle (2-years $5M) - Petterson (2-years $925K) - Leivo (2-years $2.5M)
Pearson (2-years $3.75M)- Horvat (4-years $3.5M) - Boeser (6-years $7.5M)
Roussel (3-years $3M) - Gaudette (1-year $917K) - Virtanen (1-year $1.25M)
Schaller (1-year $1.9M) - Beagle (3-years $3M) - MacEwen (1-year $847K)
Spooner (1-year 3.1M)

Edler (1-year $6M) - Tanev (1-year $4.5M)
Hutton (4-years $5.5M) - Stetcher (1-year 2.85M)
Lovejoy (2-years $4M) - Hughes (2-years $925K)
Beiga (1-year $825K) - Juolevi/Brisbois/Sautner/Schenn (~$1M)

Markstrom (1-year $3.67M)
Demko (3-year $3M)

Luongo ($800K)
Baertschi (LTIR)
Sutter (Bought out $1.17M)
Erikson (Traded)
Goldobin (Signed and Traded)

That's 74.299 million against a projected $83 million salary cap. Even in the worst case where Baertschi and Erikson have to come back and count against the cap, they add a combined $9.67M and we'd save $2.05M burying Spooner and Schaller in the AHL. That roster might be a bit optimistic with a few contracts and terms, but it's within the realm of possibility.

Does that look like a bubble team to you or do we skip the big ticket contacts and just shuffle some depth along?

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Sutters Buyout is 2.04 million. Edler won't sign a one year deal. Shaller should be in the Minors he is crap.Who is going to want Spooner or Eriksson, the Canucks is going to have to add assists to get rid of them.

I rather hold on to Goldobin, I agree with trying to find one more top 6 winger but we will see what happens.

I dont mind your team, but I dont think its a playoff team.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Sutters Buyout is 2.04 million. Edler won't sign a one year deal. Shaller should be in the Minors he is crap.Who is going to want Spooner or Eriksson, the Canucks is going to have to add assists to get rid of them.

I rather hold on to Goldobin, I agree with trying to find one more top 6 winger but we will see what happens.

I dont mind your team, but I dont think its a playoff team.

I see where I made my error with Sutter though ~$440K doesn't make my team unworkable.

If Elder won't sign a one year deal, he's going to have to take less than $6 million. I'd also walk away if he wanted more than a one year deal due to expansion draft implications.

Schaller very well could end up in the minors, but I was planning a team that could end up right against the cap so I didn't afford myself the luxury of replacing him. If, for example, you knew going in the offseason that Baertschi was planning to sit out this season you play him on the second line, bump Pearson down, bump Roussel to the 4th line, and Schaller goes to the minors.

Where did I say I was trading Spooner?

Erikson, to a team not worried about cap space, is a $1 million per season (Salary) depth winger. He's completely tradable if you approach things correctly.

If we hold onto Goldobin, where do we play him in the top-6? He's not beating out Pearson or Leivo in that top six unless you think Green will care so much about natural position that he'd never consider playing Eberle on his off wing? That then bumps one of Virtanen or MacEwen off the team which costs cap space. It also doesn't factor in that Goldobin doesn't seem to be a player Green values.

I also never asked if my team was a playoff team, I asked if it was a bubble team. The aim is to improve over the current season while ensuring we have maximum flexibility if we over/under perform.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I see where I made my error with Sutter though ~$440K doesn't make my team unworkable.

If Elder won't sign a one year deal, he's going to have to take less than $6 million. I'd also walk away if he wanted more than a one year deal due to expansion draft implications.

Schaller very well could end up in the minors, but I was planning a team that could end up right against the cap so I didn't afford myself the luxury of replacing him. If, for example, you knew going in the offseason that Baertschi was planning to sit out this season you play him on the second line, bump Pearson down, bump Roussel to the 4th line, and Schaller goes to the minors.

Erikson, to a team not worried about cap space, is a $1 million per season (Salary) depth winger. He's completely tradable if you approach things correctly.

If we hold onto Goldobin, where do we play him in the top-6? He's not beating out Pearson or Leivo in that top six unless you think Green will care so much about natural position that he'd never consider playing Eberle on his off wing? That then bumps one of Virtanen or MacEwen off the team which costs cap space. It also doesn't factor in that Goldobin doesn't seem to be a player Green values.

I also never asked if my team was a playoff team, I asked if it was a bubble team. The aim is to improve over the current season while ensuring we have maximum flexibility if we over/under perform.
Schaller can be EASILY replaced by Gaunce. Stick Schaller to our ECHL affiliate as don’t see him of any use to the Comets as a center (and he’s a waste of a spot as a winger). Saves you I think around 950K. That should most if not all of Gaunce’s likely cap hit.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Schaller can be EASILY replaced by Gaunce. Stick Schaller to our ECHL affiliate as don’t see him of any use to the Comets as a center (and he’s a waste of a spot as a winger). Saves you I think around 950K. That should most if not all of Gaunce’s likely cap hit.

I agree 100%, I'm just not sure if ownership would allow it after the buyout and with a good chance we also want to bury Spooner as well.

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Untill Jim Benming is the gm of this team there is no way this team makes the playoffs.

Askel

Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver

Your Edler thing is pure fanatasy, he will get around 6 million a year on a multi year deal. He has all the bargaining power. The Canucks have no one to replace him and he is the best d-man on this team. If you want to create a bubble team you need to keep him.

Eriksson is not 1 million per season. If the Canucks trade him after his bonus is paid this year its still a total of 9 millon in salary and 18 million in capspace for a 4th line winger.

I missed Spooner as an extra, but I rather trade him.

There is no reason to get rid of Goldobin, he should be fairly cheap, he can fill in in the top 6, which none of your bottom 6 winger can.You need players in the bottom 6 who can play the top 6 when there is injuries, thats depth.

Shaller is easily replace by a minimum salary player. You save one million on playing him in the minors, which should have been done this season already.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Your Edler thing is pure fanatasy, he will get around 6 million a year on a multi year deal. He has all the bargaining power. The Canucks have no one to replace him and he is the best d-man on this team. If you want to create a bubble team you need to keep him.

Eriksson is not 1 million per season. If the Canucks trade him after his bonus is paid this year its still a total of 9 millon in salary and 18 million in capspace for a 4th line winger.

I missed Spooner as an extra, but I rather trade him.

There is no reason to get rid of Goldobin, he should be fairly cheap, he can fill in in the top 6, which none of your bottom 6 winger can.You need players in the bottom 6 who can play the top 6 when there is injuries, thats depth.

Shaller is easily replace by a minimum salary player. You save one million on playing him in the minors, which should have been done this season already.

Edler wouldn't get term from me if he wants to stay. He says he wants to be here and denied trades to stay. I'll offer him one-year contracts until his wheels fall off but the reality is I don't want to protect him from the expansion draft.

I missed his signing bonuses but at half the pay of his cap hit he's a decent value for an internal cap team. Certainly tradable. I also made it clear that we can afford him for at least another season even with my signings. Not what I'd want but he can kill time in the bottom six and pressbox.

You think Spooner is tradable but Erikson isn't?

Green doesn't trust him and ideally, we'd pick up a better option in free agency. A top six of Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Eberle, Pearson, and Leivo with Roussel and Virtanen as the next players up isn't nothing and if Baertschi can still play he adds to that depth.

I worry that ownership would have issues with a Sutter buy out, burying Schaller, and looking at burying Spooner as well. Ideally, I know that the status of Baertschi and have a feel for the trade market before fully planning anything but lacking that I had to play for possible ownership issues a step many would be GMs often ignore.

Askel

Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
No, I dont think any team wants 6 million 4th liner. Spooner is probably untradeable to.

Eberle sucks, he is a soft RW who can't play defense. Roussel has 9 goals in a career year were he spent a lot of time with Horvat,he should not be in a top 6 ever, even when there is injuries.. Pearson and Leivo is not part of a strong top 6, they are at best no 6 forwards on a good team, they should be 3rd liners if we . Virtanen is not a top six player.

Sutter won't be bought out and I acctually think someone could trade for him.

So if Edler is out your defense looks like crap. You have 2 no 4 d-men in Hutton and Stetcher, a injury prone no 3 in Tanev. Lovejoy who is no 6 at best and Hughes who is a rookie. That defense looks like crap.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Hilarious how you probably won’t see one poster from early in this thread admit they were wrong.

They’ll be back to do the exact same BS next year only to disappear into the abyss when the expected results happen again.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
stop trying to buyout these dud players. Just bring them back, suck again next year, get another great pick, and run these contracts down. Buying them out just drags this mess on for twice as long and eats cap when we will be good, get it over the fastest way possible. Play them, waive them or retain 50% if you must to flip them for a pick.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Edler wouldn't get term from me if he wants to stay. He says he wants to be here and denied trades to stay. I'll offer him one-year contracts until his wheels fall off but the reality is I don't want to protect him from the expansion draft.

Who are you going to replace him with? Any decent UFA is getting a NMC, because they and their agents know about the expansion draft and will trade off teams against each to get their NMC.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
No, I dont think any team wants 6 million 4th liner. Spooner is probably untradeable to.

Eberle sucks, he is a soft RW who can't play defense. Roussel has 9 goals in a career year were he spent a lot of time with Horvat,he should not be in a top 6 ever, even when there is injuries.. Pearson and Leivo is not part of a strong top 6, they are at best no 6 forwards on a good team, they should be 3rd liners if we . Virtanen is not a top six player.

Sutter won't be bought out and I acctually think someone could trade for him.

So if Edler is out your defense looks like crap. You have 2 no 4 d-men in Hutton and Stetcher, a injury prone no 3 in Tanev. Lovejoy who is no 6 at best and Hughes who is a rookie. That defense looks like crap.

He's not $6 million though, he's $3 million after his bonus is paid this offseason. You trade him to a team under the cap such maybe an Ottawa, Carolina, New Jersey are willing to take him for essentially nothing and if we need to add too much this offseason (where we can afford the cap hit) we try again next season where his real salary drops to $2.5 million per season and try again.

Eberle is the type of top-six winger we can attract if we don't want to offer term or break the bank. He's not sexy, but he'd make our top six better.

Roussel and Virtanen are the depth forwards. Roussel is on pace for something like a 10-26-36 point season having missed 5 games, which is pretty good for a third liner when you put him with two other top six players you probably don't want him being the shooter anyway so his goal totals don't matter much. Virtanen is the opposite of a Roussel and you send him up to a line that needs his style if he's called into the top six to fill in for an injury.

Also, do you expect us to pick up three top-six wingers this offseason so we can stash two of them on the third line for injury fill-ins? It'd be ideal but that's not a move we can make this season given our contract situation.

Let's look at a couple of playoff teams and see if they have a Roussel kick around their 3rd lines.

VGK: Prior to the stone trade which likely ends up as a rental or ends up forcing another winger out of the lineup, their 5th best winger was 8-9-17 Reaves, below him is Pirri who's only player 25 games, and then you get 5-10-15 Carpenter. I'm sure they'd love a Roussel or Virtanen in their bottom-six.

STL: They have nice winger depth and are likely happy with Thomas, Steen, and Marron as their depth wingers.

DAL: Traded for additional winger depth in Zuccarello but would easily take Roussel and Virtanen over Cogliano and Comeau as depth wingers.

MIN: They're retooling right now and probably aren't looking for depth at the wings with what they have.

ARI: They'd certainly think hard about swapping Panik and Archibold out for Roussel and Virtanen.

CAR: They're looking for a second line center but also might want to upgrade on McGinn as a top-9 guy.

PIT: They'd ditch Aston-Reese in a second for Roussel or Virtanen if cap wasn't an issue.

MTL: They're all depth and no high end. It's working for them, but they're alost certainly happy with what they have.

CBJ: They loaded up, but prior to the TDL they'd have certainly taken Roussel and Virtanen over Riley Nash and Duclair.

I didn't look at top teams in their divisions because you expect a top team to have depth, it's what makes a top team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->