The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Prince Cam'Ron

princecamron_zps6d71c689.jpg

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
If you're talking about Leslie--I don't think that she was down on Talbot. She used to stick in the 10-15 range. The guy was really the Connecticut Whale's MVP last year.

lol its not just leslie. pretty much everywhere on this site would claim we didnt have goalie prospects.

Cake or Death

Hi all,

Do you all feel like we should now trade Lundqvist and his hefty price tag, now that we have a real starting goalie in Cam Talbot. I eagerly await your responses.

Regards,

Conine

No. No way in hell. Talbot has 3 career starts. Solid starts, for sure, but so have dozens of players who turned out total duds.

Lundqvist is a proven entity... regarded by more than a few as the best in the world, will be the NYR all-time wins leader some point this season, is 31 and already 35th in all-time NHL wins, and like 27th or 28th in career shutouts. Even if the team fell off and Lundqvist dropped to 25 wins a year for the next 5 seasons and then retired, he'd still be top 10 in all-time wins. You don't trade a guy like that for a dude with 3 career games under his belt.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
True, but a) goalies develop later than any other position and b) play longer at a higher level than any other position (provided they don't suffer certain key injuries). Cam's got a good ten years ahead of him.

While this is true, most good starters make the NHL between 21-14, not 26.

That's neither here nor there though as Cam has played very well.

Punxrocknyc19*

While this is true, most good starters make the NHL between 21-14, not 26.

That's neither here nor there though as Cam has played very well.

Tim Thomas became a starter at age 30 in 2005-06 season for the Bruins.. Nabokov didnt become a starter till the age of 25 2000-2001 season... Tomoas Vokoun didnt become a starter till the age of 26 in 2005-06 season.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Tim Thomas became a starter at age 30 in 2005-06 season for the Bruins.. Nabokov didnt become a starter till the age of 25 2000-2001 season... Tomoas Vokoun didnt become a starter till the age of 26 in 2005-06 season.

Price? Brodeur? Miller? Hank? Rask? Luongo? Ward? Rinne?

Most of the good starting goalies in the NHL start out younger.

Punxrocknyc19*

Price? Brodeur? Miller? Hank? Rask? Luongo? Ward? Rinne?

Most of the good starting goalies in the NHL start out younger.

Price, Marty, Rask, Luongo, Ward all 1st round picks. Lundqvist made it at age of 23... only Lundqvist and Rinne were late round picks...

Rinne made it as 26 years old 2008-2009 season... bad examples..

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I don't think Cory Schneider cracked an NHL roster until he was 25 either, but it's all really up to the player. Cam certainly looks like he can be a viable NHL back up right now, and that alone is a win given the number of #2's we've had in and out of here over the years. Really nice find by the amateur scouting staff. Alabama-Huntsville. Go figure. :laugh:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Price, Marty, Rask, Luongo, Ward all 1st round picks. Lundqvist made it at age of 23... only Lundqvist and Rinne were late round picks...

Rinne made it as 26 years old 2008-2009 season... bad examples..

That's my point. I understand goalies take longer to develop, but most of the upper echelon of goalies are in the league earlier.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Nice to have a guy come in and put up some quality games when the teams needs him. I liked Biron when he was on his game but damn did he move poorly in net and had some slow reactions.

Talbot moves well in net and has been getting in position to make saves, good deal.

Punxrocknyc19*

That's my point. I understand goalies take longer to develop, but most of the upper echelon of goalies are in the league earlier.

Ed Belfour.. also never drafted. made the NHL as a starter at the age of 25.. goalies like this are not that hard to find if you have the right scouts and the right situation for the player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad