Prince Cam

High And Wide*

You're living in the past. His numbers are consistent in one respect: decline. Year after year. If defense is to blame for his numbers, it would have had no room to get any worse. I will be the happiest fan on the face of the earth should he continue to play like he does now. I doubt it, though.
Can we win SC with Lundqvist? Absolutely. But we are not building contender due to lack of true interest from the ownership. The best we can do is 2005-06 Rangers. That is why I want his old back. It won't happen.

The last 2 seasons have been his best seasons in the NHL. What are you saying.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
If Talbot proves he can do what he can consistently, Hank will be gone by his contract end. Not that i am looking forward to it, I am not Lundqvist hater as accused, just saying...

Lundqvist is playing great at the moment and he is indispensable. Yet he cannot play any better. His best, in other words, is not good for top 10 in the league average. He is in the second dozen. Sweden ain't going anywhere in Olympics, mark my words. Nor will Rangers any time soon. Yet, thanks to him there is a reason to watch this team. No more than that.

The entire emboldened portion confuses me.

1. Hank hasn't played great. He's played the worst he ever has. It's not that he can't get any better, it's that he can and will get much, much better.

2. Not good enough for top 10 in the league? Hank is easily in the top 10 NHL players, let alone goaltenders.

3. There's 12 in a dozen, not 10.

Aside from that, Talbot has won a SINGLE GAME at the NHL level. He's looked good in his 2 games, but, really, 2 games, and more than a few posts.

2. (2). Two. Dos. Just over 120 minutes of hockey.

Making any assumptions as to his ability and what his level of play is going to be after such an impossibly small sample size is the kind of thinking that led this board to overuse the phrase "A full year of Kreider"; and we know how that went.

Talbot may yet prove to be an acceptable NHL BACKUP. He has a long way to go before he can begin daydreaming of making Henrik ****ing Lundqvist expendable.

Balej20

Jan 4, 2013
It has only been two games.

Florida Ranger,

Thank you for the quick response. I appreciate your feedback. I am with you on it only being 2 games, but you have to agree that Cam has been impressive. It was just a thought that crossed my mind while watching tonight's contest. #2games

Until next time...

Conine

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
The last 2 seasons have been his best seasons in the NHL. What are you saying.

What logic? You sequence two sentences that don't belong together. The latter is about Mike Richter.

Besides, Lundqvist is not incident proof, if you want to go that avenue... We needed a backup that protects, not band-aids for a few games. The one that could take over in case...
I might be wrong. That would not prevent me from posting my impressions. Talbot impressed me. I can't recall any other rookie since Tyutin that did.

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
The entire emboldened portion confuses me.

1. Hank hasn't played great. He's played the worst he ever has. It's not that he can't get any better, it's that he can and will get much, much better.

2. Not good enough for top 10 in the league? Hank is easily in the top 10 NHL players, let alone goaltenders.

3. There's 12 in a dozen, not 10.

Aside from that, Talbot has won a SINGLE GAME at the NHL level. He's looked good in his 2 games, but, really, 2 games, and more than a few posts.

2. (2). Two. Dos. Just over 120 minutes of hockey.

Making any assumptions as to his ability and what his level of play is going to be after such an impossibly small sample size is the kind of thinking that led this board to overuse the phrase "A full year of Kreider"; and we know how that went.

Talbot may yet prove to be an acceptable NHL BACKUP. He has a long way to go before he can begin daydreaming of making Henrik ****ing Lundqvist expendable.

You're correct in all, but last two paragraphs. I like Lundqvist and do not consider him a sub par goalie. I did call him a sub par goalie this season because he had a so-so end of last year (not because I change my over all opinion every season). I know for the fact that good goalie performance results in better scoring for the team (just don't ask why, it is so). We see it at the moment.
I've been around long enough to know that even great G career comes to the end at some point. We kept Richer at helm for too long and that was the PRIME reason of non-playoffs in 7 years. Blackburn injury was catastrophic. That is why I was so excited to see Talbot. This is Hockey Future site and board for those who forgot.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
You're correct in all, but last two paragraphs. I like Lundqvist and do not consider him a sub par goalie. I did call him a sub par goalie this season because he had a so-so end of last year (not because I change my over all opinion every season). I know for the fact that good goalie performance results in better scoring for the team (just don't ask why, it is so). We see it at the moment.
I've been around long enough to know that even great G career comes to the end at some point. We kept Richer at helm for too long and that was the PRIME reason of non-playoffs in 7 years. Blackburn injury was catastrophic. That is why I was so excited to see Talbot. This is Hockey Future site and board for those who forgot.

I hardly think Hank's career is coming to an end; in fact, I'd still say with certainty that Hank is still in his prime, a year removed from a Vezina win, and if I remember, named a finalist again last year.

Talbot is exciting, both for the future and the present. I'm more excited by the concept that we can keep Hank to about 60 games, and get him strong and fresh in the playoffs. We couldn't do that with Biron, so while he didn't play much, it still affected the team.

On top of that, if you're suggesting that Talbot may have the ability to challenge Hank for a spot (an assertion that, to me, seems beyond lunacy), I welcome it. Henrik Lundqvist is one of the fiercest competitors in sports. It would only make him better.

I want to keep Hank. I want to Talbot to keep up his play. I want to have the best goaltender AND an incredible backup. I want Talbot to get a nice long time working with one of the best goaltenders the game will see for a long time.

There's no visible downside here.

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
I hardly think Hank's career is coming to an end; in fact, I'd still say with certainty that Hank is still in his prime, a year removed from a Vezina win, and if I remember, named a finalist again last year.

Talbot is exciting, both for the future and the present. I'm more excited by the concept that we can keep Hank to about 60 games, and get him strong and fresh in the playoffs. We couldn't do that with Biron, so while he didn't play much, it still affected the team.

On top of that, if you're suggesting that Talbot may have the ability to challenge Hank for a spot (an assertion that, to me, seems beyond lunacy), I welcome it. Henrik Lundqvist is one of the fiercest competitors in sports. It would only make him better.

I want to keep Hank. I want to Talbot to keep up his play. I want to have the best goaltender AND an incredible backup. I want Talbot to get a nice long time working with one of the best goaltenders the game will see for a long time.

There's no visible downside here.

You assume Hank will play like he does now. Unlike you, I only hope for it. The reason in our differences is you tend to believe that his ups and downs are related to team playing poorly in front of him, while I see it 100% opposite, i.e. current team success is fed by G improvement. In reality neither point of view is fully correct, but I like mine better. In any case, you wouldn't deny the fact that we could use someone like Talbot in his last game in lieu of Hank last November, would you?.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
You assume Hank will play like he does now. Unlike you, I only hope for it. The reason in our differences is you tend to believe that his ups and downs are related to team playing poorly in front of him, while I see it 100% opposite, i.e. current team success is fed by G improvement. In reality neither point of view is fully correct, but I like mine better. In any case, you wouldn't deny the fact that we could use someone like Talbot in his last game in lieu of Hank last November, would you?.

I think a goalie's play can certainly inspire a team, but I feel you may be overstating it's ability to influence the scoring of a team.

Deflating goals are a thing, inspiring saves are a thing. I don't know if there's anyone better at inspiring confidence in his teammates than Lundqvist. Yes, the first 6 or 7 games were a monstrosity, minus LA and Wash. But like you've said, we've seen alot of hockey from Henrik Lundqvist.

A bad start to the season isn't going to change what we've seen from him, and I'd feel safe wagering that poor defense mixed with a nagging injury will be seen as an explanation for those games, and we'll see a very familiar looking Lundqvist within 2 weeks.

And again, if Talbot can consistently play at the level he has in his 2 games of NHL hockey, he will be considered nearly invaluable. But there's a key word there: consistently. If i see 10-15 games of that play, I'm more like to agree that he can be turned to in a pinch.

As it is, he's done a very good job coming in and backstopping a team that's missing it's 3 best wingers and an unhealthy starting goaltender, who happens to be the best player on the team. It's possible that seeing a rookie come in and play at that level can galvanize the team into fighting with fire, but when the chips are down and it's crunch time, I don't think there's even a remote question who you turn to.

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
I think a goalie's play can certainly inspire a team, but I feel you may be overstating it's ability to influence the scoring of a team.

Deflating goals are a thing, inspiring saves are a thing. I don't know if there's anyone better at inspiring confidence in his teammates than Lundqvist. Yes, the first 6 or 7 games were a monstrosity, minus LA and Wash. But like you've said, we've seen alot of hockey from Henrik Lundqvist.

A bad start to the season isn't going to change what we've seen from him, and I'd feel safe wagering that poor defense mixed with a nagging injury will be seen as an explanation for those games, and we'll see a very familiar looking Lundqvist within 2 weeks.

And again, if Talbot can consistently play at the level he has in his 2 games of NHL hockey, he will be considered nearly invaluable. But there's a key word there: consistently. If i see 10-15 games of that play, I'm more like to agree that he can be turned to in a pinch.

As it is, he's done a very good job coming in and backstopping a team that's missing it's 3 best wingers and an unhealthy starting goaltender, who happens to be the best player on the team. It's possible that seeing a rookie come in and play at that level can galvanize the team into fighting with fire, but when the chips are down and it's crunch time, I don't think there's even a remote question who you turn to.

I want 2006 Lundqvist back. Well, whoever think we will see 2006 Lundqvist on consistent basis is wrong. I think he is past his best. He is an elite goalie nevertheless and he is indispensable. HE IS THE BEST THING THAT HAPPENED TO RANGERS as far as I remember. But he is also the source of the frustrations we have to go through comes Thanksgiving time every year.
Not only I remember, I can't forget 2006. The problem is NHL goalies are getting better every day and 2006 together with Vezinas are now water under the bridge.

The only way, IMO, to keep the King playing well is to challenge him. For that you need a hardass head coach and a talented newcomer with mask and knee pads. We now got both. Therefore Talbot will play more often than you think

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
in all seriousness, Talbot looks good. I have confidence in the kid

He must be stunned to get as much support as he has gotten. As bad as the Rangers have played, his usual work load in Hartford and Alabama was much worse, and involved dealing with multiple breakaways and massive defensive breakdowns every period. Last year, every game the Whale would completely collapse at some point. It would look like a 10-12 minute power play for the other team.

He faced just a ton of shots, particularly before the lockout ended. Those who read my Whale game notes remember that I would constantly write that if I were Talbot, I wouldn't speak to my defensemen because they would at best abandon him and usually repeatedly give away the puck a few feet from the crease.

Nobody got more hardcore training in the AHL than Talbot.

richardsequalscup*

This thread should have been deleted seconds after it was created.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Some of you really need to go read the "Prince Chad" thread before you get all bent out of shape about this one. Everything in here is tongue-in-cheek, so relax.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Talbot was probably the MVP of last year's Hartford team. He got way more 3 stars of the game mentions than anyone else. Part of that comes from being the main goalie but he is a very good goalie. And so far in his two NHL games he's been very steady--not spectacular but really good. The Rangers could have won against the Flyers and he held the fort last night. This is what you want from a backup goalie--that you'll have a chance to win.

PavelBure9

Jul 31, 2007
If talbot can prove he can an effective goalie in the national hockey league, over the net 2 seasons, I can somewhat believe this thread.

What we aren't talking about is that there is tons and tons of tape on Lundqvist that shooters prepare for. Talbot has a lot in the AHL, but nothing in the NHL. He will have to make adjustments if shooters go to his weak side. That won't be easy.

We've been spoiled with Lundqvist. I hope Cam becomes good for us, but at this point, if he's our backup I will be happy

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Cam I am?

Son of Cam.

Cam-a-lot

No Cam do.

This thread has really opened a Cam of worms.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Well he is a tall butterfly goaltender with quick legs, goalies in that mold have done very well in this league of late unlike hybrids like Biron and Brodeur who are too susceptible to being beat along the ice surface.

He will have bad games, don't get me wrong. But I think he's a much better NHL style goaltender than Valiquette was.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Some of you really need to go read the "Prince Chad" thread before you get all bent out of shape about this one. Everything in here is tongue-in-cheek, so relax.

Pretty much, duhhh we all want Lundqvist signed forever:laugh:

But Cam is doing well, he's signed to be the back up moving forward and doing his job

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->