Primetime on CBC

LoneSteele

Mar 5, 2011
Edmonton, AB
This...CBC won't ever pick the Sens over the Leafs. Ever. Too many people watch the Leafs games to even consider it.

Not necessarily true. They did last year for one late-season game vs. Crosby and the Pens. I loved it; I (in Alberta) don't often get to watch Sens on Saturdays because Center Ice won't pick up CBC games and Leafs are almost always on primetime Saturday nights.

That being said. I agree that the Sens alone aren't enough of a draw even compared to an out-of-playoffs Leafs team.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
The only HNIC coverage we get this year (even locally!) is for three games versus the Leafs, and one vs. Philly to end the season.

At first glance, our occasional Saturday afternoon games aren't even picked up by CBC.

Da fuq?

zeddyp

Feb 18, 2012
Toronto
as long as TML exist Ottawa will never get the spotlight consistently..hell I think even if we had Crosby, Karlsson, Stamkos, Lundquvist on the team and the leafs had literally monkeys in leaf uniforms they would elect the leaf game...

ybsad

Jul 12, 2010
If enough people scream and shout, things can change.

3 or 4 years ago, there wasn't even a local broadcast of the Sens games on a Saturday night. Now we see them all.

Anca18

Aug 19, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Not necessarily true. They did last year for one late-season game vs. Crosby and the Pens. I loved it; I (in Alberta) don't often get to watch Sens on Saturdays because Center Ice won't pick up CBC games and Leafs are almost always on primetime Saturday nights.

That being said. I agree that the Sens alone aren't enough of a draw even compared to an out-of-playoffs Leafs team.

I stand corrected then, I guess it must have been the draw of Crosby's return last season, combine that with it being a late season game with the sens fighting for a playoff spot, while the Leafs were probably already eliminated? http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20112012/GS021120.HTML My assumption is that it was that game, which would make sense since if I remember correctly the Leafs were already out of the playoff race and they played the Rangers at home that night. http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20112012/GS021119.HTM That's interesting, but yeah, outside of that there's no way that CBC would want to pick up a Sens game over a Leafs game.

Margaret Trudeau*

YOLO!!! Ektorp is not on the leafersons. They are a legendary team and the sens have no cups. period.

until that is remedied there;s no way, no how, bubba joe.

Anca18

Aug 19, 2010
Ottawa, ON
If enough people scream and shout, things can change.

3 or 4 years ago, there wasn't even a local broadcast of the Sens games on a Saturday night. Now we see them all.

"Sit your butt down, you're blocking the view". Last time I was in the 100s for a sens game that was yelled out by the 'corporate fan' who was sitting right in front of me. :shakehead :help:

LoneSteele

Mar 5, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I stand corrected then, I guess it must have been the draw of Crosby's return last season, combine that with it being a late season game with the sens fighting for a playoff spot, while the Leafs were probably already eliminated? http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20112012/GS021120.HTML My assumption is that it was that game, which would make sense since if I remember correctly the Leafs were already out of the playoff race and they played the Rangers at home that night. http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20112012/GS021119.HTM That's interesting, but yeah, outside of that there's no way that CBC would want to pick up a Sens game over a Leafs game.

You are correct. I remember that game vividly. It was also responsible for this gem:

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
HNIC is all Leafs all the time until just before the playoffs when it seems they are not going to be part of the show.Then there is a scramble to get a few Sens and/or Habs games on the national broadcast to try and work up a little interest in watching the playoffs without the home team.

This year the schedule was drawn up so that the Sens have only one Saturday prime time game that doesn't include the Leafs,against Philly, the last game of the year, so even if more people wanted to watch the Sens on the national broadcast, there are really no games for them to show.

But even though the Sens may have a struggle to make the playoffs now without Spezza, they are entertaining to watch and there is a lot of interest in Karlsson. It would be fun if the CBC started losing market share because of their Leafs obsession and if Sportsnet picked up good numbers for the Saturday afternoon games that the CBC declined..

Anca18

Aug 19, 2010
Ottawa, ON
You are correct. I remember that game vividly. It was also responsible for this gem:

Regretfully, I now remember. :shakehead As if the singing wasn't bad enough, she yells out "let me hear you" in the middle of the damn NATIONAL ANTHEM ON A NATIONAL BROADCAST. This is not a concert, lady. /rant

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
as long as TML exist Ottawa will never get the spotlight consistently..hell I think even if we had Crosby, Karlsson, Stamkos, Lundquvist on the team and the leafs had literally monkeys in leaf uniforms they would elect the leaf game...

TML - Toronto Monkey Leafs....:laugh:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, Toronto and Montreal have such a huge fanbase that you'll never see another team featured nationally on the CBC early game on Saturdays.

Kessley Snipes*

Your fan base unfortunately is relatively regional. Toronto and Montreal have a National/International fanbase

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Why does it matter?

We have the internet, we can stream games that are not on CBC or TSN if they are being broadcast somewhere else (most of the time)

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
We're not a large market, in fact, I'd say we're a small market Canadian team. CBC is a business, they need as many views as possible. Don't play the sens at prime time if you want as many views as possible. That's ludicrous.

CBCnutcase

Sep 11, 2007
If enough people scream and shout, things can change 3 or 4 years ago, there wasn't even a local broadcast of the Sens games on a Saturday night. Now we see them all.
The only HNIC coverage we get this year (even locally!) is for three games versus the Leafs, and one vs. Philly to end the season.

At first glance, our occasional Saturday afternoon games aren't even picked up by CBC.

Da fuq?
Yes the complaining did change things, but the number of Saturday games has dropped. There used to be around 25 Sat. games and that has fallen to about 17. Now with those 17, like Flamingo said, a chunk of those are in the afternoon and not all on HNIC but some on Sportsnet instead where Centre Ice is needed if you're outside the Sens region.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->