Primeau upset Goodenow with his contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
slats432 said:
My problem is with the NHLPA's "influence" on the contracts. They say they want a free market and then get pissed every time a player signs outside what "they" think is market value.

If it were the owners getting together and deciding what "market value" was collectively, it is collusion.

Which, when I bring up one of the NHL's proposals was to negotiate all the player contracts, it is the same thing that the NHLPA does now.(Which wasn't a salary cap)

If the players didn't negotiate each contract as a group of 750 players constantly trying to push the bar up for each other, I would be more inclined to live with a free(r) market.

What we need are more Keith Primeau's. I don't really like it, either, but the players themselves are in tough spots. I bet more would like to do what Primeau did, but when you have Goodenow and probably your agent and who knows who else coming over and saying you have to do this for the good of the union and Joe Grindliner on the bench a few feet down from you, I can see how it would become a very hard decision to make.

A Good Flying Bird*

Bruwinz20 said:
I dont think anyone is arguing that this isnt the owners fault. It clearly is. That doesnt mean that the game goes on the road it is on because the owners made a big mistake. They are fixing it because there is a lot of people losing a lot of money. Who cares whose fault it is?

Before placing fault (or heaven forbid, fixing it), we must decide what the fault is.
I am not convinced a Salary Cap is the only way to fix the NHLs problems.
The problems have more to do with revenue inequities than a pure lack of revenue.
A Luxury Tax, a strict one, would do more to fix the problem than a salary cap.
One: It would provide incentives to keep salaries low, reducing demand for players and salaries throughout the league.
Two: It would allow teams at least the opportunity to keep rosters together when they decide it is imperative.
Three: It would provide revenue to poorer teams.

A salary cap will create a lot of problems that fans haven't begun to discuss.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Newsguyone said:
Before placing fault (or heaven forbid, fixing it), we must decide what the fault is.
The problems have more to do with revenue inequities than a pure lack of revenue.
One: It would provide incentives to keep salaries low, reducing demand for players and salaries throughout the league.
Two: It would allow teams at least the opportunity to keep rosters together when they decide it is imperative.

I wonder how many posts will go by before the lame baseball reference?

A big problem I see for the salary cap is the likely increase in revenue disparity. And with less money being put into players by big revenue clubs, those funds are giong to be re-directed elsewhere. There are a few very clear places where more money will likely be spent, such as scouting and development, but there is one place where I haven't seen anyone consider more money being spent: on coaches and management.

With the talant of the league theoretically more evenly distributed because the large markets can't buy up all of the talant, coaching and management will become more important and people truly excellent at either are few and far between. So what happens when a team like Detroit or NYR decide to chuck $6 million at Minnisota's coach Or Edmonton's GM instead of Brendan Shanahan? Assuming there's a hard cap at $45 million and taking Detroit's salary of around $77 million last year, that leaves Detroit with a good $32 million to throw around in other areas.

If it gives them a noticeable edge, I can see teams like NYR, Toronto, Detroit, etc. begin raiding the scouting departments, benches and management teams of the lesser clubs. If they were given that much extra cash to begin chucking around, I don't think they'd hesitate to simply spend it elsewhere to maintain that advantage.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Winger98 said:
If it gives them a noticeable edge, I can see teams like NYR, Toronto, Detroit, etc. begin raiding the scouting departments, benches and management teams of the lesser clubs. If they were given that much extra cash to begin chucking around, I don't think they'd hesitate to simply spend it elsewhere to maintain that advantage.

What's stopping those teams from doing it now? The Rangers already can raid other teams' scouting departments, benches, etc. and have (see: Sather, Glen).

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Newsguyone said:

I am not anti-tax by any stretch. I just think that unless the tax is so restrictive that it is in essence a cap, the owners will reject it. Both sides are at fault with these negotiations. They have barely been negotiating and both are more concerned by winning over popular support rather than getting a deal done. The players proposals are band aids and the owners proposals are too extreme. No mid ground has been explored.

I am not sure why poor teams dont want a revenue share and are intent on a cap. They probably are afraid that the same 3-4 teams will still spend like crazy and little will change. All I am saying is that playing the blame game is a waste of time. The owners are to blame, but the players need to make some more concessions that will establish a system that will ensure long term stability.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
CarlRacki said:
What's stopping those teams from doing it now? The Rangers already can raid other teams' scouting departments, benches, etc. and have (see: Sather, Glen).

Not as much of a need. They haven't had to distance themselves from the rest of the pack through secondary methods, instead simply icing more talanted (and more expensive) lineups. Take away the ability to pull ahead through simply stacking their lineup, and things that made less of a difference to them before will likely take on added significance.

A Good Flying Bird*

Bruwinz20 said:
I am not anti-tax by any stretch. I just think that unless the tax is so restrictive that it is in essence a cap, the owners will reject it. Both sides are at fault with these negotiations. They have barely been negotiating and both are more concerned by winning over popular support rather than getting a deal done. The players proposals are band aids and the owners proposals are too extreme. No mid ground has been explored.

I am not sure why poor teams dont want a revenue share and are intent on a cap. They probably are afraid that the same 3-4 teams will still spend like crazy and little will change. All I am saying is that playing the blame game is a waste of time. The owners are to blame, but the players need to make some more concessions that will establish a system that will ensure long term stability.

Dude, let's say we have a graduated tax.
$35 Million at 50 percent
$40-50 at 75 percent
Over 50 at 100 percent.

With the possible exception of the Rangers, it's really going to bring down salaries a ton.
Do you think Mike Illitch, who lost $16 Million last year, is going to want to increase his payroll by 50 percent? He had a 75 Million payroll. He'd be penalized about $37.5 Million.
Now you're looking at a loss of 53.5 Million.
Illitch can't afford that.

The market for UFAs would dry up in a hurry (as it did, somewhat in the last two years)
The big market teams would probably stay in the low to mid 40s and maybe top 50 when they felt they had a good shot.

What kills me is the hard cap.
Because we know that superstars are going to be in demand. They are the guys who will still collect big money, just like they do in the NBA and NFL.
But what happens to Atlanta, with Heatly, Kovalchuk and Lehtonen in a few years.

I keep thinking of Detroit in the early 90s when Fedorov, Lidstrom and Konstantinov emerged to join Yzerman and form the nucleus of a great team.
The greatest hockey icon in Detroit is Yzerman. And Detroit nearly traded him.
With a salary cap, and with Fedorov, Lidstrom, Konstantinov and Primeau in the Wings, Yzerman would have surely been traded.

Hockey already has too much player movement. A salary cap will mean even more movement.
Now I know small market fans will say "so what, we've been losing our stars for years"
And they have a point.
But I think a salary cap is the wrong answer.
It's the lowest common demoninator. It means that all teams are going to have problems holding onto their stars.
A luxury tax would allow the big markets (and let's be honest, the markets that are MOST important to the NHL) to have the flexibility to keep teams together when they're close.
A luxury tax would also allow the Flames to keep Iginla or the Nucks to keep Naslund, Bert and Jovocop together if they were very close to the cup but bulging over the limit ever so slightly.

The other thing is this: For a salary cap to be effective in terms of roster flexibility, owners must have the ability to tear up contracts.

Call me old fashioned, but a deal is a deal.
People who sign contracts should stick to them. And yes, that goes for Alexi Yashin, too.

Anyway. I'm not sure the PA would agree to the tax.
But I suspect that they are waiting for the owners to budge first.
If the players propose a strong tax and the owners reject it, the season is history.

If the owners budge from the cap and suggest a strong cap, then I think the players will negotiate a number.

What kills me is that the owners are holding the league hostage and demanding radical concessions.
I don't care who you are, if you compare what the players had to what the owners want, it's a radical fix.
And if the players can get the owners 60 to 70 percent there in one deal, Bettman should take it, for the good of the game.
Bettman's strategy is arrogant and reckless. I've got a feeling it's going to cause more harm than good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Newsguy, like I said I am not opposed to a luxury tax. I am a little surprised why the NHL is opposed to one to be honest. You are right, salaries would come down in a New York (pun intended) minute. The tax you suggest would work. Let me ask you this, though, if the Rangers and their ilk bring down their overall salaries to ~40 million then how long before the players scream collusion?

I am fine with a tax like the one you suggested but for some reason the owners are hell bent on a cap. I just hope someone blinks before the 15th.

A Good Flying Bird*

Bruwinz20 said:
Newsguy, like I said I am not opposed to a luxury tax. I am a little surprised why the NHL is opposed to one to be honest. You are right, salaries would come down in a New York (pun intended) minute. The tax you suggest would work. Let me ask you this, though, if the Rangers and their ilk bring down their overall salaries to ~40 million then how long before the players scream collusion?

I am fine with a tax like the one you suggested but for some reason the owners are hell bent on a cap. I just hope someone blinks before the 15th.

Players can't scream collusion.
By agreeing to a LT, they are essentially agreeing that there is a certain salary threshold that teams shouldn't cross.
A LT won't require actual collusion to bring salaries down. It strong LT will bring them down because a Detroit or Toronto or whoever won't be going gangbusters to sign Alex Kovalev because they know that to compete with Pittsburg's offer of $4 Million a year, it's going to cost them $8 Million a year.
Or that to compete with Calgary's $7 Million offer to Iginla, it will cost them 14M.
So less teams will be in the hunt for UFAs because of economic realities.

Brent Burns Beard