Price VS Niemi (since 18/11/17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think you mean spectrum. Unless you mean there is a specter of Price being labelled as bad.

But bad is a pretty broad word (so is good). But if we're expanding on that, a quick google search defines bad as:

"of poor quality or a low standard"

and

"not such as to be hoped for or desired; unpleasant or unwelcome"

I'm not really sure that you can argue that Price's November wasn't bad.
If he was bad he would have been the reason the team lost. I cant think of a game in november where he was the reason why they lost.

The closest I could say is that Ristolainen goal in OT, but he did bail out the team a lot of times in that game. Plus that Ristos shot was a cannon.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
If he was bad he would have been the reason the team lost. I cant think of a game in november where he was the reason why they lost.

The closest I could say is that Ristolainen goal in OT, but he did bail out the team a lot of times in that game. Plus that Ristos shot was a cannon.

What? If your definition of a goalie being bad is that he's the reason the team lost, then there are NO bad goalies in the NHL. At all.

So yay I guess? Everybody has a goalie that isn't bad!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What? If your definition of a goalie being bad is that he's the reason the team lost, then there are NO bad goalies in the NHL. At all.

So yay I guess? Everybody has a goalie that isn't bad!
Niemi has been bad in a few games, Allen has been bad, theres plenty of goalies that are just sieves all night and deserve their sub 900 save percentage, Price isnt one of these.

AnctilNDG

Oct 20, 2017
NDG
And maybe compare the difficulty of the opposition, etc. Just an example of why stats alone don't mean everything.

According to league standings : (1st = 1 and 31st =31) if we make an average of opposing teams place in the standings since niemi joined the habs

Price opposition 16.45 average position in standings
Niemi opposition 13.85

According to standings, Niemi would have played against better teams in average than Price over that time period

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
"Let's netpick stats to prove my point thread"

Oh yeah Niemi hasn't allowed less than 3 goals in a game this season but let's forget that as it doesn't prove my point, right?

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Niemi has been bad in a few games, Allen has been bad, theres plenty of goalies that are just sieves all night and deserve their sub 900 save percentage, Price isnt one of these.

You gave two names though, not plenty, and one of the two (Niemi) has definitely been the reason his team lost.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Im not going to scour the internet for goalies whove been sieves, I have better things to do, but you denying its existence is ...weird.

Mike Smith when they played the Habs?

Bud, I'm using your definition of bad. Mike Smith didn't cost the Flames that game as much as Price won it.

AnctilNDG

Oct 20, 2017
NDG
"Let's netpick stats to prove my point thread"

Oh yeah Niemi hasn't allowed less than 3 goals in a game this season but let's forget that as it doesn't prove my point, right?

You just picked a random stat to prove a point lols, his save S% and GAA are better than price's playing for the same team and playing better opposing teams in average...pretty basic stats not picking at all

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I think you mean spectrum. Unless you mean there is a specter of Price being labelled as bad.

But bad is a pretty broad word (so is good). But if we're expanding on that, a quick google search defines bad as:

"of poor quality or a low standard"

and

"not such as to be hoped for or desired; unpleasant or unwelcome"

I'm not really sure that you can argue that Price's November wasn't bad.

Can I ask you something? Why is it that important today to argue if Price was bad or not in November?

Why does it matter?

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I love that Price is coming around now. I don't care what happened in the past

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
You just picked a random stat to prove a point lols, his save S% and GAA are better than price's playing for the same team and playing better opposing teams in average...pretty basic stats not picking at all

They're not this season

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
This is why all stats should be taken with a HUGE grain of salt. C-o-n-t-e-x-t.

Price had bad numbers in November, but our D were atrocious. It's so easy to blame the goalie and our market tends to rely on this tactic to excuse poor team play. There was a stretch where he wasn't exactly helping matters, either, but he's looked remarkably improved the last couple of games. I think Weber being back settles a lot of things down.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Can I ask you something? Why is it that important today to argue if Price was bad or not in November?

Why does it matter?

Its not really, but I'm bored and I can't get my head around the logic that goalie has to lose a game for his team on his own to be bad.

And, like, Price basically admitted that he played badly and the team took him out of the starters net for a week. I don't know how one can argue he didn't play badly when the balance of evidence points to he was.

I'm a big Price fan and believe he'll be among the best goalies in the league in the future (even if he probably wont be dominant again), but I'm not putting him up on a pedestal.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
What's your point ?
A think its a honest comparaison, whats the matter ?

I don't think it's honest. Niemi hasn't played as well as last season while Price is somewhat better. My point is that Niemi is definitely worse than last season but your stats mostly considers last season. I wouldn't consider last season as much

I would say like someone else and let's compare again at season's end

AnctilNDG

Oct 20, 2017
NDG
This is why all stats should be taken with a HUGE grain of salt. C-o-n-t-e-x-t.

Price had bad numbers in November, but our D were atrocious. It's so easy to blame the goalie and our market tends to rely on this tactic to excuse poor team play. There was a stretch where he wasn't exactly helping matters, either, but he's looked remarkably improved the last couple of games. I think Weber being back settles a lot of things down.

The context is the same: same team same atrocious D... can't blame D here...plus niemi never played with a healthy weber since his arrival.

Opposing teams were ranked higher in standings for niemi than price yet his had better S% by 1.5%, more shutouts, less goals against...

AnctilNDG

Oct 20, 2017
NDG
I don't think it's honest. Niemi hasn't played as well as last season while Price is somewhat better. My point is that Niemi is definitely worse than last season but your stats mostly considers last season. I wouldn't consider last season as much

I would say like someone else and let's compare again at season's end

They've played a calendar year for the same team...thats the comparaison...if you want to make another one now or later be my guest... cant say its not honest...numbers dont lie

Bergevillain

Aug 1, 2014
London, ON
59 games sample size vs 23. The level of competition definitely different (Niemi will get starts against weaker teams). Not much to see here

AnctilNDG

Oct 20, 2017
NDG
59 games sample size vs 23. The level of competition definitely different (Niemi will get starts against weaker teams). Not much to see here

According to league standings : (1st = 1 and 31st =31) if we make an average of opposing teams place in the standings since niemi joined the habs

Price opposition 16.45 average position in standings
Niemi opposition 13.85

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
They've played a calendar year for the same team...thats the comparaison...if you want to make another one now or later be my guest... cant say its not honest...numbers dont lie

Numbers don't lie this season neither. That's my whole point and the reason Niemi hasn't played much for the last month

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Honestly, who would be confident enough to put Niemi as starter for the next 5 games?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I love that Price is coming around now. I don't care what happened in the past

He's much more aggressive lately. Almost looks overly aggresive, but he's getting better results anyways.

AnctilNDG

Oct 20, 2017
NDG
Honestly, who would be confident enough to put Niemi as starter for the next 5 games?

Niemi's been dumped by three teams recently, twice on waivers, no one trusts him...
Numbers don't lie this season neither. That's my whole point and the reason Niemi hasn't played much for the last month

Still rakes in more PPG than price this season

Price 1.09
Niemi 1.29

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
The bar has been lowered to such a low point that tonight people are saying that Price stole this game. But you will not be able to show a single highlight reel save of this game against the hawks on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad