Price VS Niemi (since 18/11/17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Yes Niemi had a good stretch for a waiver claim but he plays to stay in the league. He needs to be good.

Price needs to find the pleasure to succeed again. He needs to work for it. I think it's getting there now.

Price had a bad november but good the rest of the year.

Carey Price

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yes Niemi had a good stretch for a waiver claim but he plays to stay in the league. He needs to be good.

Price needs to find the pleasure to succeed again. He needs to work for it. I think it's getting there now.

Price had a bad november but good the rest of the year.

Carey Price
Price had a bad november, statistically. He wasnt bad on the ice.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
So he wasnt bad, he just wasnt great.

No, he was bad. Even ignoring his salary, you need a goalie to make difficult stops. If you've got a save percentage against difficult stops significantly below average, you are playing poorly.

Part of that is on the D, but Montreal is far from the only team that gives up really dangerous shots.

Price is still trying to find his game again. He's looked better, but we're still seeing a lot of very un-Price like movements in the crease. Its a process, and not a linear one.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No, he was bad. Even ignoring his salary, you need a goalie to make difficult stops. If you've got a save percentage against difficult stops significantly below average, you are playing poorly.

Part of that is on the D, but Montreal is far from the only team that gives up really dangerous shots.

Price is still trying to find his game again. He's looked better, but we're still seeing a lot of very un-Price like movements in the crease. Its a process, and not a linear one.
Youre holding Price to Price standards, and not the norm.

He was not Price, he might never be again, but to say he was bad in november is outright false.

Its semantics, sure, but an important distinction.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Youre holding Price to Price standards, and not the norm.

He was not Price, he might never be again, but to say he was bad in november is outright false.

Its semantics, sure, but an important distinction.

I'm holding Price to league standards, not Price standards. For November, amongst starters, he had the 3rd worst GSAA and was easily below average on anything but easy shots.

That over a long period of time isn't acceptable or easily offset if we were talking his closest comparables this season (Anderson and Markstrom) and its not acceptable for Price.

He's playing better now, and he was decent at the start of the year, but he had a bad November.

Reactions: Agalloch

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Agree. Niemi against his former team too.

I was also calling for niemi against SJ, but now that he didn't play that one, I'm really banging the drum for niemi in chicago.

There's a fine line between trying to get price in a groove, and overplaying him, but if the team is going to stay in the WC hunt, they simply cannot afford to burn out price.

AnctilNDG

Oct 20, 2017
NDG
No, If you've got a save percentage against difficult stops significantly below average, you are playing poorly.

According to corsica.com

High danger S% (minimum 800mins)(27goalies)

Price 26/27 with HDS%: 74.19 Only Cam Talbot is worst for 18-19

GSAA: 27/27
MDS% 22/27
LDS% 6/27

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm holding Price to league standards, not Price standards. For November, amongst starters, he had the 3rd worst GSAA and was easily below average on anything but easy shots.

That over a long period of time isn't acceptable or easily offset if we were talking his closest comparables this season (Anderson and Markstrom) and its not acceptable for Price.

He's playing better now, and he was decent at the start of the year, but he had a bad November.
Cant agree. Havent missed a game this year, he was not bad. I dont care what the stats tell, he was not bad.

Did he give up goals where he shouldve saved it? Yes.
Did he dominate like a 10.5m goalie, no.
Is there room for improvment? Obviously.

But no, he was not "bad".

Reactions: ArtPeur

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
And maybe compare the difficulty of the opposition, etc. Just an example of why stats alone don't mean everything.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Cant agree. Havent missed a game this year, he was not bad. I dont care what the stats tell, he was not bad.

Did he give up goals where he shouldve saved it? Yes.
Did he dominate like a 10.5m goalie, no.
Is there room for improvment? Obviously.

But no, he was not "bad".

I have missed games this year. But I was also a goalie and watch other teams this year.

I don't know what you're looking for. But you definition of bad seems to be "gives up lots of weak goals", which isn't really realistic.

Stop coddling Price. He's not reading this stuff and even he admitted he was playing badly.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I have missed games this year. But I was also a goalie and watch other teams this year.

I don't know what you're looking for. But you definition of bad seems to be "gives up lots of weak goals", which isn't really realistic.

Stop coddling Price. He's not reading this stuff and even he admitted he was playing badly.
What was he going to say? Im playing fine even though im payed 10.5m and i have the worse % in the league?

Theres just a large specter of qualitative words between bad and great, bad is not the right term.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
What was he going to say? Im playing fine even though im payed 10.5m and i have the worse % in the league?

Theres just a large specter of qualitative words between bad and great, bad is not the right term.

I think you mean spectrum. Unless you mean there is a specter of Price being labelled as bad.

But bad is a pretty broad word (so is good). But if we're expanding on that, a quick google search defines bad as:

"of poor quality or a low standard"

and

"not such as to be hoped for or desired; unpleasant or unwelcome"

I'm not really sure that you can argue that Price's November wasn't bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad