Proposal: Price to the Preds (Habs retain $1M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
The perception of Rinne is that he is a loyal team guy, I don't think he will outprice himself from Nashville.

Also Price had one amazing season (and few elite ones) when he won Hart and Vezina. He is overrated, overpaid and overtermed. You just don't pay that much for a goalie in NHL if you want to succeed. And no, his international play means horse shit as he plays for Canada, which is undisputed best team and he hasn't shown anything in NHL playoffs.

This said yeah Price is a good top 10 goalie but not worth the price. Being best canadian goalie gets you the TSN treatment.

AK87

Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2012
Do as you wanna
The point is you believe in a 35/36 year old goalie who just had a disappointing playoffs but you don’t believe in a 31 year old who was hurt and played on a bad roster.

It’s weird how you only see it in one angle

It doesn't matter how you spin it, the issue is the CONTRACT tied along to the player. You can argue until your blue in the face no way the Preds take on that contract.

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
The goaltender won the world cup and the Olympics as their first goaltender, you are clueless.
You don't seriously use that as an argument do you? LMAO then I laugh. Canada was completely overpowered in that tournament. Carey Price had to face so few chances it was hilarious. And don't talk about that gimmick tournament that was World Cup. No one took it seriously.

People please look at the stats (including advanced stats) for goalies before you make any claims.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
When you are as close to winning a cup like the Preds, all in moves should be considered. That's how I see it anyways. You talk about Price's contract but you ignore that he would increase the Preds chances at winning a cup when they are already very close. Weird.
What you're asking for Price in this proposal is what the Canadiens would have gotten possibly when Price was on his last contract. The new contract that kicked in makes it very hard for the Habs to trade him unless they're willing to eat more than a $1 million per year of his contract. He had a down year last year not to mention having knee injuries which is bad when you're a goalie. The only way the Habs can trade Price is if they take back a bad contract for part of Price's contract term. Besides Price can veto any trade.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Take away all of that extra stuff that Nashville is adding. Have Montreal add a whole bunch of extra stuff instead. Price has the worst contract signed in the last decade.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
A struggling overpaid Price with an eternity left on his deal is going to be a tough sell. Rinne is also the better goalie at this point soooo not sure where the logic is here

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
You don’t value the 6 year age gap? Some Salary retention, and a slightly better goalie?
no not when said goalie will be 38 when contract is over and making 8 mil a year. also injury prone last two years and he hasnt performed very well. when i say that i mean like the stud he has shown in the past. If i am blues i keep my young players and play allen or husso. No need to waist great young talent and that much cap for price

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
no not when said goalie will be 38 when contract is over and making 8 mil a year. also injury prone last two years and he hasnt performed very well. when i say that i mean like the stud he has shown in the past. If i am blues i keep my young players and play allen or husso. No need to waist great young talent and that much cap for price

The idea here is does Price help the Preds win a cup in their current window of 4 or 5 years ish? Is it an upgrade on Rinne who is 36 in November? If you believe in Rinne at age 36+, you should believe in Price at age 31-38. If the Preds plan on re-signing Rinne and having him share the load with Saros, then I respect that. But I'm not going to back down from the Price trolling on his value.

Regardless, It's probably a better time to revisit the idea of trading Price and who he would waive his NMC for after the bonus money he gets for the 2nd time in July of 2019. Then we will see what kind of year he has and what the cap his next year too.

Not every cup contender or fringe cup contender is 100% happy with their goalie and some will consider the idea of what Price can do for their team. Circumstances change over time.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just make a silly proposal and belligerently defend it.

If it was so silly, it would of not lasted this long. There is some solid debates going on here and most of it was not trying to force the Preds into a deal, it was defending Price's value (after retention). The main inquiry was asking what the Preds plans were in net moving forward but the trolls come out to talk about Price being negative value. Same trolls who thought Patch was not worth much.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
At this point, you've got to be just copying and pasting. There's not a lot of debating going on. You're repeating and recycling when somebody argues against it.

Reactions: HomeAndHome

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
at this point?

Yeah, good point. It's been from the start, but I swear I read this already, like 3 times.

"The idea here is does Price help the Preds win a cup in their current window of 4 or 5 years ish? Is it an upgrade on Rinne who is 36 in November? If you believe in Rinne at age 36+, you should believe in Price at age 31-38. If the Preds plan on re-signing Rinne and having him share the load with Saros, then I respect that. But I'm not going to back down from the Price trolling on his value."

Reactions: Starat327

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
If it was so silly, it would of not lasted this long. There is some solid debates going on here and most of it was not trying to force the Preds into a deal, it was defending Price's value (after retention). The main inquiry was asking what the Preds plans were in net moving forward but the trolls come out to talk about Price being negative value. Same trolls who thought Patch was not worth much.
Again, your ask of Rinne, a top 10 prospect, 2 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick, was just plain stupid. No one has ever returned that much in a trade....

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Don't think anyone is "trolling" Price's value. Since his MVP year he's been oft-injured with a 0.915 SV% and a monster contract to boot. He's still a tremendous goalie but has had some struggles as of late. Rinne's stats are not far off Price's (actually better since Price's MVP year) and NSH have a cheaper succession plan in place in Saros. NSH led the league in SV% last year, I think one of the last things they need to blow their high end picks/prospects is a goalie.

To summarize, this offer sucks. Both Price and Rinne are great goalies with the latter being slightly better as of late.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Again, your ask of Rinne, a top 10 prospect, 2 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick, was just plain stupid. No one has ever returned that much in a trade....

It's not often that a guy like Price is traded. A top 10 prospect? Tolavanen is good but top 10? Not sure about that one. Regardless, if there is a deal to be made, it starts with Tolavanen.

Lets play hypothetical situation here (hang in there and play.. I know it's hard for you).... Lets say this deal goes down. What's the potential of how this looks in 5 years?

- Preds would have a legit top 5 goalie who gives them a legit shot at multiple cups. Hard to say if they win one or not but I personally believe their chances get better. Pretty sure most teams would be ok with trading a top prospect and late 1st round picks for a Cup? Not guarantees but the Preds would have a great shot at it! Much better chance than with Rinne at 36+ and Saros who is unproven

- Habs have Tolavanen who is a safe top 6 forward? Possible top line winger? What are the chances the late 1st round picks turn into a top of the line-up player? You are acting like those 1st are top 10 picks? The chances are very high those picks are 25+ range and the Habs are left with an average NHL player or a bust.

I admit I started high in asking price. But rightly so. There is zero chance in hell I do a Roy trade re-do and give the Preds a cup like we did for the Avs.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
glad to see you're still trying to somewhat defend this initial trade after being roasted so hard. Many of your fellow Habs have agreed that the initial trade offer was somewhat ludicrous.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
It's not often that a guy like Price is traded. A top 10 prospect? Tolavanen is good but top 10? Not sure about that one. Regardless, if there is a deal to be made, it starts with Tolavanen.

Lets play hypothetical situation here (hang in there and play.. I know it's hard for you).... Lets say this deal goes down. What's the potential of how this looks in 5 years?

- Preds would have a legit top 5 goalie who gives them a legit shot at multiple cups. Hard to say if they win one or not but I personally believe their chances get better. Pretty sure most teams would be ok with trading a top prospect and late 1st round picks for a Cup? Not guarantees but the Preds would have a great shot at it! Much better chance than with Rinne at 36+ and Saros who is unproven

- Habs have Tolavanen who is a safe top 6 forward? Possible top line winger? What are the chances the late 1st round picks turn into a top of the line-up player? You are acting like those 1st are top 10 picks? The chances are very high those picks are 25+ range and the Habs are left with an average NHL player or a bust.

I admit I started high in asking price. But rightly so. There is zero chance in hell I do a Roy trade re-do and give the Preds a cup like we did for the Avs.
We likely aren't as good because we don't have any depth, and our pipeline is empty because we just gave up 5 players for 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->