Proposal: Price to the Preds (Habs retain $1M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The comments in this thread remind me of people commenting about the worth of Pacioretty. "you'll be lucky to even get a late 1st", "he's worth two 2nds at most"....

If there is a market for Price, the return will be good. If there isn't a market for Price, there won't be any trades... I personally think that Price would be an excellent fit with the Preds, but I believe Poile wants to see how Saros does, first.

PS: Prices salary will be the norm sooner than later. The argument that he has a "terrible" contrat gets old. Retainement is possible and Price at 5.25 mills would be worth 3 1sts at least, without taking the fact that mtl could always acquire a cap dump as well.
What's bigger? The gap between Tatar and Pacioretty or the gap between Rinne and Price? Then look at this deal and VGKs and compare the costs to acquire.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Was reading this thread during my lunch had some good lol's.

@TooLegitToQuit ...Price was my favourite goaltender for a long long time but with that said, I wouldnt trade garret sparks for price at 10.5 mil or 9.5mil lol. Thats literally almost 1/8th of your teams cap. Sure Price was great and still is good but that contract=lol for many different negative factors surrounding price.

One positive for your argument is:I think starting goalies are the most important position in hockey bar none. Anyone who's played a high level of hockey will agree. With that said this isn't the olden days with no salary cap so every penny counts either postively or negatively in regards to a players value. To be worth 1/8th of the salary cap you must be mcdavid crosby level tier or at the very least in the kucherov stammer matthews ball park.

In strictly regards to this offer I dont see why the preds would do this. A different team could be interested in Price at a different ask.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Not sure Preds can handle the cap hit but people calling Rinne 'the Vezina' winner, sure great but we know he's a sieve in the playoffs and probably cost the Preds the cup already.

He literally just won the Vezina trophy. That's why we're calling him the Vezina winner. We're not giving up Rinne, Tolvanen and multiple top picks so we can take on an injured Price with a dog crap contract.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
The comments in this thread remind me of people commenting about the worth of Pacioretty. "you'll be lucky to even get a late 1st", "he's worth two 2nds at most"....

If there is a market for Price, the return will be good. If there isn't a market for Price, there won't be any trades... I personally think that Price would be an excellent fit with the Preds, but I believe Poile wants to see how Saros does, first.

PS: Prices salary will be the norm sooner than later. The argument that he has a "terrible" contrat gets old. Retainement is possible and Price at 5.25 mills would be worth 3 1sts at least, without taking the fact that mtl could always acquire a cap dump as well.

Lets just say this bolded false statement becomes true in a hypothetical scenario. It's not like hes a young healthy guy coming off a career year so why would someone ATM risk acquiring him? Especially for the OP ask?
Not talking about the Previous younger stud Price on a good contract who i actually was a huge fan of even though im a leafs diehard. Im talking about Price as of Today 17/09/2018 at 10.5mil until hes 39 or around that age.

What do you thin WEBER is worth as of today just curious?

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I've said best goalie in the world maybe once or twice. I also have said a top 5 goalie multiple times. Let me clear it up for you on my opinion. I don't think Price is the undisputed best in the world, but I do think his one of the best. Most in the Hockey industry think so. Most people on these boards think he has negative value. It's BS

Most of this is pure speculation... the exception being HF's opinion of Price. Let me restate. A .900 SV% goalie is not the best in the world nor is it a top 5 goalie. You might think so, but that is just your opinion... as is any perception you might have about what people in "the hockey industry" think. People say all sorts of random crap on the air to cater to their audience... what they actually think is another matter. One I doubt they share with you.

If Price was with the Preds this season and A pending UFA, the Preds pay him. The chances of Price declining at a rapid rate like Gomez is very unlikely.

No team is their right mind is going to offer an oft injured goalie a 10 million dollar contract after a .900 season. None.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
The point is you believe in a 35/36 year old goalie who just had a disappointing playoffs but you don’t believe in a 31 year old who was hurt and played on a bad roster.

It’s weird how you only see it in one angle

When will you understand that this has nothing to do with Price vs Rinne, and everything to do with Nashville having zero incentive to pay that kind of price to address a non-need? They are content with giving Saros his shot, and it won't cost them a top-10 prospect and two 1st's going that route....oh, and it won't eat up a crap-load of cap either, which will help them keep their core together.

This deal literally makes no sense. Go outside and get some air.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Rinne at $4M - $5M for 2 or 3 years to be a back-up to Saros? Sign him now before he changes his mind!
I went through your rambling all the way up to this point and just had to log in to comment. It's crystal clear you have no clue what type of a person Rinne is. Rinne could easily sign for $2M if he feels that he wants to stay in Nashville.

PitchNHL

Jul 18, 2018
1) Pretty sure Price would waive his NMC to play for a cup contender and be reunited with Subban.

2) Preds have Rinne who disappointed in the playoffs and is age 35 on a $7M contract. Do they believe Saros can replace Rinne? Not sure.

3) Preds have no major contracts to negotiate for several years aside from Josi (2 more years). The core is set except for in net. Preds currently have over $9M in cap space so that is not an issue moving forward.

4) What does a guy like Price do for the Preds and does he get them closer to winning a cup in the next 5 years?

Price ($1M retained) for Rinne, Tolvanen, 2019 1st, 2020 2nd, 2022 1st? We can also talk after July 1st of 2019 after Price gets paid his bonus.
Have you watched hockey before

Reactions: Pukboy5kroner

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Interesting concept. Rinne has short term value because he won a Vesina. Price can be considered best in the world but at 10.5 million till he's 40, oy. Here's the other problem. Saros is the #1 of the future and the Preds might have lucked out on finding a Rinne clone in Westerholm. (Early but when Preds scouts are quoted as saying 'Holy shit! He plays like Rinne.' it get's your attention. For the amount the Preds are giving up, the Habs really need to eat more than a million. More like 50%. Asking for the Preds #1 prospect is too much. It reads WAY too much like a Habs fan trying to get a treasure trove for an overpaid asset.

It's a hell no with WAY WAY too much going the Habs way.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
1) Pretty sure Price would waive his NMC to play for a cup contender and be reunited with Subban.

2) Preds have Rinne who disappointed in the playoffs and is age 35 on a $7M contract. Do they believe Saros can replace Rinne? Not sure.

3) Preds have no major contracts to negotiate for several years aside from Josi (2 more years). The core is set except for in net. Preds currently have over $9M in cap space so that is not an issue moving forward.

4) What does a guy like Price do for the Preds and does he get them closer to winning a cup in the next 5 years?

Price ($1M retained) for Rinne, Tolvanen, 2019 1st, 2020 2nd, 2022 1st? We can also talk after July 1st of 2019 after Price gets paid his bonus.[/QU

No..... just a huge no. Habs would be the one adding a shit ton

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
No idea what he asks for. Are you saying he for sure gets a pay cut and is willing to share the starting job with Saros?

Rinne basically admitted after the last playoffs that it might be time to start giving Saros the starter job. He's made his money. Nashville has a goalie plan and it doesn't involve giving up a ridiculous amount of assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad