Proposal: Price to the Preds (Habs retain $1M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK87

Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2012
Do as you wanna
Understand OP logic but asking way too much for Price and his contract. Preds pass

Totally agree, the OP makes sense with what he is saying however the return for Price is way too high. We get he is one of the best Goalies in the world but so is Rinnie I mean he just won the Vezina!!

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Any team would pay the big price on Tavares even with 2 x 30 points season

So you think the Jets would trade Wheeler, Connor, two 1sts, and a 2nd for Tavares coming off a 30 point season. Does that sound reasonable to you? Because that's what this proposal is.

Reactions: DRW204

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Price having zero value might be wrong, in fact I'm sure that all team would love a Price on their roster. Unfortunately the contract looks bad, makes you wonder what he would have gotten on UFA though.

I don't think he will be traded (not that it would be necessarily bad), the Habs don't need cap relief at this point.

And the list of teams who would likely take him with the salary cap reality is short, you need to find a team that contend for the next few years with no good starter, with cap space or able to create cap space for him. The unfortunate reality about goalies today is that their talent level is very similar accross the league.

Forgetting the salary cap because I dont know each team's situation but the Flyers(Elliot?), Colorado (is Varlamov good ?), St-Louis (Allen?), Flames (Smith?) are the only playoff teams that I see would see a big benefit in taking Price.

Teams like the Islanders, New Jersey, Sabres (Hutton?), Vancouver, Detroit are the only other teams I think could need that big improvement in net... but none of them are serious contenders now (maybe the Islanders with Price and Buffalo could speed up the rebuild?)

Then add the salary cap restrictions to that, the pool of teams in for Price is super low and his value comes down to their evaluation of how much help Price would be in their goal for the Stanley Cup vs other potentially available goalies.

There you go, an all star goalie (that I love watching fyi) who got very minimal value on the trade market

Let’s see what Bob gets when he is UFA at age 31! I’m thinking it’s a 7 or 8 year deal at $8 - $9M range? Price is indeed paid too much but after $1M or $1.5M in retention, it brings it down to a manageable level.

Price for top goalies is going up! $9M in 5 years won’t look so bad.

The idea of justifying Price at 50% retention ($5.25M) and a low return is ridiculous

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Even if the Preds only included Rinne and Tolvanen they'd still lose this deal.

Pretty much this, no way NSH is taking on that contract. They need that cap to stay competitive and there are plenty of better options in net should they be offering pieces like that.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
A trade like this might be possible in a year or two, if Price wins another Hart + Vezina. At this time, Habs are stuck with this contract. No one will give anything of value for Price until he bounces back.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So you think the Jets would trade Wheeler, Connor, two 1sts, and a 2nd for Tavares coming off a 30 point season. Does that sound reasonable to you? Because that's what this proposal is.

Context is important here. Tavares scoring 30 pts on a bad team vs a team like the Leafs is not the same.

Your example is not the same.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A trade like this might be possible in a year or two, if Price wins another Hart + Vezina. At this time, Habs are stuck with this contract. No one will give anything of value for Price until he bounces back.

Sounds exactly the same as what people said towards Patch. NHL GM’s are fully aware of why a top of the lineup asset has a bad year

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Totally agree, the OP makes sense with what he is saying however the return for Price is way too high. We get he is one of the best Goalies in the world but so is Rinnie I mean he just won the Vezina!!

Let’s talk after this year when Rinne needs a new contract at age 36/37 next year and Price is 32 and gets his July 1st bonus for the 2nd time.

I find it weird how there is so much focus with Price being injured on a bad team while Rinne’s playoff stats are being ignored

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I could see Price ending up with Seattle. They would probably try to replicate Vegas success and Price could agree to waive his NMC to move closer to home.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So you think the difference between a 35 yr old Rinne and a 31 yr old Price at the same price is the Preds 2019 1st and 2020 2nd.
Ya someone is out to lunch.

Depends on what Rinne does this year when he is 35/36. He does need a new contract after this year.

You don’t have to agree but Price playing in net in front of that Preds D? I just wonder how his stats look then?

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Sounds exactly the same as what people said towards Patch. NHL GM’s are fully aware of why a top of the lineup asset has a bad year
Pacioretty's current contract and the extension he signed afterwards are nowhere near the gamble that Price's contract is. Moneywise, but also because if Pacioretty slows down, he can still be a useful overpaid 3rd liner. How do you use a mediocre 10,5 million goalie, if Price falters? As a backup?

Look, I have confidence he will be elite again, but I wouldn't bet my reputation as a GM and my team's future on this gamble.

Reactions: DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Let’s talk after this year when Rinne needs a new contract at age 36/37 next year and Price is 32 and gets his July 1st bonus for the 2nd time.

I find it weird how there is so much focus with Price being injured on a bad team while Rinne’s playoff stats are being ignored
please post the comparison b/w Rinne and Price's PO stats so no one can truly ignore them. :thumbu:

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Let’s see what Bob gets when he is UFA at age 31! I’m thinking it’s a 7 or 8 year deal at $8 - $9M range? Price is indeed paid too much but after $1M or $1.5M in retention, it brings it down to a manageable level.

Price for top goalies is going up! $9M in 5 years won’t look so bad.

The idea of justifying Price at 50% retention ($5.25M) and a low return is ridiculous

Oh at 5.25M he's an absolute steal I'd take it! But Montreal needed to build around him and they did not.

Its just hard to move him as a core piece when other teams are building around players.

Just saying he's a hard piece to move not that he is bad, he is an excellent goalie!

And good point I'm curious to see what other goalies will get like Bob, Lundqvist has not won anything either so it does not help the case of paying goalies high...

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Possible but no guarantees. Like I said, let’s talk in 12 months

I don't think you realize how well liked Rinne is here and how he much he likes it. He was Saros' favorite player and is like a little brother to him. He's going to take a pay cut unless he retires. Do you really think he's going to get anywhere near $7mil?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pacioretty's current contract and the extension he signed afterwards are nowhere near the gamble that Price's contract is. Moneywise, but also because if Pacioretty slows down, he can still be a useful overpaid 3rd liner. How do you use a mediocre 10,5 million goalie, if Price falters? As a backup?

Look, I have confidence he will be elite again, but I wouldn't bet my reputation as a GM and my team's future on this gamble.

If Price was with the Preds this season and A pending UFA, the Preds pay him. The chances of Price declining at a rapid rate like Gomez is very unlikely.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
please post the comparison b/w Rinne and Price's PO stats so no one can truly ignore them. :thumbu:

We’ll go look up the Rinne’s stats this past playoffs? Pretty sure the Preds and Rinne were disappointed. Was he playing hurt or on a bad defensive team? :sarcasm:

It’s the same treatment made towards Price and his year last year.

It’s weird how it’s only looked at from one angle

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
We’ll go look up the Rinne’s stats this past playoffs? Pretty sure the Preds and Rinne were disappointed. Was he playing hurt or on a bad defensive team? :sarcasm:
bad playoffs and Rinne is still a career 915. What's Price?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
bad playoffs and Rinne is still a career 915. What's Price?

Well the focus is age here with Price right? How is this not the same approach with Rinne’s recent performance? He’s 36 in November.

Why can you believe in Rinne at age 36 but not Price at age 31?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->