Proposal: Price to the Preds (Habs retain $1M)

Discussion in 'Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk' started by TooLegitToQuit, Sep 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randy Randerson

Randy Randerson Registered User Sponsor

Haha, so in your own estimation a top 10 goalie will cost between $7 and $8M in 2021/22, and the Preds should spend $9M today as well as give up their best prospect and all of their best picks in the next couple of years to acquire a player with injury history coming off a down year to replace their guy who was the best goalie in the NHL last year and was backed up by a young player who could end up as a passable starter himself? Why not just wait until 21/22 and sign Andersen for $7-8M, save a couple of million in cap space and all the assets? I would also say that the $7-8 is heavily dependent on cap inflation, SJ just signed a comparable guy for $5.75M/yr so at the top end of that range you're projecting like a $110M cap in 2021/22 which would be an accelerated rate of growth from what we've seen

that is absolutely wacky.

2. TooLegitToQuit

TooLegitToQuit Loyal Habs Fan

Civil Engineering
    Price having zero value is not reality. It's your opinion. Don't confuse your opinion with actual facts.

3. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    Remember this. You remind me when I am wrong after 3 years and I'll remember to remind you when you are wrong after 3 years. Deal?

4. powerstuck

powerstuck Nordiques Hopes Lies

Well you said it yourself, it's supposed to. Honestly, the best outcome is to see if Price is really Healthy. He has a poor team in front of him, but hey, that's a great opportunity to show he has the tools to do the job even if he doesn't have a good defense to support him. If he brings you to a few spots away from playoffs...that jacks up his value.

5. Starat327

Starat327 Striiker's Lackey Sponsor

I dont think youll find anyone outside of Montreal that thinks the upgrade from Rinne to Price is worth an additional 2.5M in cap (minimum, lets play along that he doesnt take a discount from his current 7M), 2 1st round picks, and a blue chip prospect in Tolvanen. Tolvanen and 2 firsts can buy a lot in the league today on its own.

But hey, to each his/her own.

go4hockey, Devonator and DRW204 like this.
  6. CantLoseWithMatthews

CantLoseWithMatthews Registered User

he declined so bad that Niemi and Lindgren did outplay him last year in front of the same team. Maybe he bounces back and maybe he doesn't, but I don't see why any team in their right mind would take that risk and pay him 9 million dollars a year after the year he just had. let alone a team like Nashville who already have a vezina caliber goalie and a promising young goalie prospect in Saros. You're dreaming if you think you can get a package like this for Price

7. DRW204

DRW204 Registered User

and Rinne is one of the best as well. So is a high quantity of high valued futures the difference b/w Rinne and Price :skeptic:

8. triggrman

triggrman Registered User

Home Page:
    You're not in the minority.

I think this would be one of the worst trades ever.

9. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    Price is no longer "the Habs are nothing without Price". It's now "Price has negative value". Get your facts straight eh lol.

10. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Registered Bootlicker Sponsor

coloring
    In that one season he signed one of the biggest contracts in NHL history, and sported a .900 sv%.

Spazkat likes this.
  11. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    Almost a 6 year age gap between Price and Rinne. After retention, the salary difference is $2 - $2.5M. One guy is close to retirement vs the other. One guy is also considering one of the best in the world... but wait, he had an injured season playing on a poor roster so his value is negative now. Same as Patch... he was not worth much cause he had a bad year.

12. CantLoseWithMatthews

even if he was in Hart trophy form this trade would be a really hard sell to Nashville. Rinne is an elite goalie and Tolvanen + 2 firsts has some serious value to the Preds. it probably wouldn't be worth it even then. The fact that Price is getting paid more than Kucherov to be the 3rd best goalie on his team with a .900 sv% makes it hilariously bad

Devonator likes this.
  13. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    You think Price is the 3rd best goalie on the Habs is a fact? :biglaugh:. Your credibility on the subject has just declined greatly! Come on man... do you seriously believe what you are saying?

You are on a role... While you are at it, tell us what you think Nylander, Marner, and Matthews will be making? They are all leaving money on the table like Tavares right?

14. Devonator

Devonator Registered User

Accounting
    Agreed! It boggles the mind that some Hab fans simply do not get it.....at this point in Price's career, I doubt you could give him away for free with that insanely stupid contract....no one wants that on their team...a 31 year old player that may be showing signs of decline.....yep.....this is as bad a contract as their is!

CantLoseWithMatthews likes this.
  15. DRW204

DRW204 Registered User

Even with the age difference, their stats have been comparable over the past several years and their POs stats are similar. Price hasn't always played on a poor team, just like Rinne hasn't always been on an excellent team. Price is signed until 38 too, Rinne can sign a deal until he's 38 and provide tutelage over Saros as he develops. NSH keeps all their futures and cap space. You're underestimating what a 9.5M dollar goalie does to NSH's cap in a couple years when Josi is due. a 2M saving in goal can mean quite a bit.

16. CantLoseWithMatthews

he was 3rd best last year, and I see no reason to change my mind until he proves otherwise. Imagine if Tavares puts up 30 points next year. Do you think he'd be worth something like Stamkos + Foote + 2 firsts? that's basically what you're suggesting here

17. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    Ever consider the Preds have a much better team and this affects goalie stats? Price >> Rinne. But that is my opinion

18. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    Insisting Price is the 3rd best goalie on the Habs is Trolling! Saying Tavares puts up 30 pts is like Saying Price won't be great playing with the Preds and their core.

Tavares for Stamkos+ is nowhere close to Price for Rinne+. Keep trying.

19. CantLoseWithMatthews

why? you agree he was 3rd best last year due to his injury. why do I have to give him a pass and consider him a top 5 elite goalie again before he proves last year was only a fluke?

20. triggrman

Home Page:
    So who in a trade in the last 5 years has brought back a top 10 prospect and 2 1st round picks? And then we need to also add a goalie that just won the Vezina?

21. DRW204

DRW204 Registered User

The Preds weren't always the power house they are today, and the Habs weren't always a poor team as they are today yet their career stats are quite similar. Both G's have appeared in the POs with comparable stats. Price might be>Rinne, but the difference is not a multitude of high valued picks and prospects

22. Soundgarden

Soundgarden Registered User

hanging out
    Ok, but the fact remains we don't NEED Price. We have Rinne. If Montreal had Rinne with Saros coming up I can guarantee you would not trade Kotkaniemi and two 1sts for Price at $9mil.

23. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    I question your hockey knowledge if you think Price is the 3rd best goalie on the Habs. Your credibility on the subject holds no value in my books cause you have tunnel vision. You think it's very possible Price declines like Gomez did.... you want it to happen so bad that you think it's probable.

24. triggrman

Home Page:
    I don't know anyone that has been traded for the price he's asking for Price.

25. TooLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    Well, I can handle some reasoning. Continuing to trust the Rinne/Saros combo is one of them. But throwing Price under the bus to justify a terrible trade offer is something I'm going to not back down at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.