Proposal: Price to the Preds (Habs retain $1M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
haha... $6.5M for Anderson who is a top 10 NHL goalie playing on a stacked roster. Only a $1.5M raise and a salary cap that has risen for several years. Try more like $7- $8M. I bet you think Nylander is only worth $5.5M right?
Haha, so in your own estimation a top 10 goalie will cost between $7 and $8M in 2021/22, and the Preds should spend $9M today as well as give up their best prospect and all of their best picks in the next couple of years to acquire a player with injury history coming off a down year to replace their guy who was the best goalie in the NHL last year and was backed up by a young player who could end up as a passable starter himself? Why not just wait until 21/22 and sign Andersen for $7-8M, save a couple of million in cap space and all the assets? I would also say that the $7-8 is heavily dependent on cap inflation, SJ just signed a comparable guy for $5.75M/yr so at the top end of that range you're projecting like a $110M cap in 2021/22 which would be an accelerated rate of growth from what we've seen

that is absolutely wacky.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The bottom line is thus...Price cannot be traded with that terrible contract...is value is zero at this point....that is reality....Habs are stuck with likely the worse contract in hockey going forward.....if you could give away Price for free, I am sure the vast majority of Hab fans would be thrilled.....alas you cannot even do that. Any trade proposal for Price is delusional otherwise.

Price having zero value is not reality. It's your opinion. Don't confuse your opinion with actual facts.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Haha, so in your own estimation a top 10 goalie will cost between $7 and $8M in 2021/22, and the Preds should spend $9M today as well as give up their best prospect and all of their best picks in the next couple of years to acquire a player with injury history coming off a down year to replace their guy who was the best goalie in the NHL last year and was backed up by a young player who could end up as a passable starter himself? Why not just wait until 21/22 and sign Andersen for $7-8M, save a couple of million in cap space and all the assets? I would also say that the $7-8 is heavily dependent on cap inflation, SJ just signed a comparable guy for $5.75M/yr so at the top end of that range you're projecting like a $110M cap in 2021/22 which would be an accelerated rate of growth from what we've seen

that is absolutely wacky.

Remember this. You remind me when I am wrong after 3 years and I'll remember to remind you when you are wrong after 3 years. Deal?

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
you are seeing too much from the outside, nothing from the inside of Quebec.
1. Price been injured a lot due to his condition to become "sleepy" a lot. He started a Strict Diet last year and it's supposed to be resolved
2. Healthy Price is worth 10.5M hell we can even take 1M.
3. it'S 2018, 10.5M in 304 years will look like a 7.5M seeing how fast the cap is going up.

Well you said it yourself, it's supposed to. Honestly, the best outcome is to see if Price is really Healthy. He has a poor team in front of him, but hey, that's a great opportunity to show he has the tools to do the job even if he doesn't have a good defense to support him. If he brings you to a few spots away from playoffs...that jacks up his value.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I don't blame you for thinking this is the better option cause you think the difference between Rinne and Price is marginal at best. You make fun of my plan and I make fun of your plan. Were even.

$10.5M (Price/Saros) > $8.5M (Rinne/Saros). Preds have plenty of cap space to absorb the extra $2M or $2.5M in cap space and they get a proven top goalie in the league they can ride with throughout their cup window. The costs? $2M in cap space, Tolavanen, and two late 1st round picks that don't help them in their cup window.

I find it weird that some think Price don't take the Preds closer to winning a cup with the core they have today. But I respect if they want to ride with Rinne/Saros and try again, and again. I don't respect how anybody thinks Price is negative value though. It's BS!

I dont think youll find anyone outside of Montreal that thinks the upgrade from Rinne to Price is worth an additional 2.5M in cap (minimum, lets play along that he doesnt take a discount from his current 7M), 2 1st round picks, and a blue chip prospect in Tolvanen. Tolvanen and 2 firsts can buy a lot in the league today on its own.

But hey, to each his/her own.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Cause he had an injury? So are you saying he declined so bad that Niemi and Lindgren are better than him now? Come on man.
he declined so bad that Niemi and Lindgren did outplay him last year in front of the same team. Maybe he bounces back and maybe he doesn't, but I don't see why any team in their right mind would take that risk and pay him 9 million dollars a year after the year he just had. let alone a team like Nashville who already have a vezina caliber goalie and a promising young goalie prospect in Saros. You're dreaming if you think you can get a package like this for Price

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I've said best goalie in the world maybe once or twice. I also have said a top 5 goalie multiple times. Let me clear it up for you on my opinion. I don't think Price is the undisputed best in the world, but I do think his one of the best. Most in the Hockey industry think so. Most people on these boards think he has negative value. It's BS
and Rinne is one of the best as well. So is a high quantity of high valued futures the difference b/w Rinne and Price :skeptic:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Damn I may be in the minority but I would rather gamble on Saros. The little bit I have watched him (not much honestly) he has been good. With that D core I would rather go cheaper and invest those extra mills in other players (guys are going to get paid soon, not all of them are going to stay on these aweseome discount contracts forever). Trading for Price at 30 with 8 years left (or 7 after this season) and a 9 mill cap hit would be hard. I think Price is the best goalie in the league when healthy but these days with that contract and what seems to be more and more injuries slowly creeping up, I wouldn't give up that kings ransom you're asking for.
You're not in the minority.

I think this would be one of the worst trades ever.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well you said it yourself, it's supposed to. Honestly, the best outcome is to see if Price is really Healthy. He has a poor team in front of him, but hey, that's a great opportunity to show he has the tools to do the job even if he doesn't have a good defense to support him. If he brings you to a few spots away from playoffs...that jacks up his value.

Price is no longer "the Habs are nothing without Price". It's now "Price has negative value". Get your facts straight eh lol.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I love how Price goes from untouchable, one of the best goalies in the world, to negative value albatross after 1 bad season.

Deal is lopsided, but not as bad as some are making it out to be.
In that one season he signed one of the biggest contracts in NHL history, and sported a .900 sv%.

Reactions: Spazkat

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
and Rinne is one of the best as well. So is a high quantity of high valued futures the difference b/w Rinne and Price :skeptic:

Almost a 6 year age gap between Price and Rinne. After retention, the salary difference is $2 - $2.5M. One guy is close to retirement vs the other. One guy is also considering one of the best in the world... but wait, he had an injured season playing on a poor roster so his value is negative now. Same as Patch... he was not worth much cause he had a bad year.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The bottom line is thus...Price cannot be traded with that terrible contract...is value is zero at this point....that is reality....Habs are stuck with likely the worse contract in hockey going forward.....if you could give away Price for free, I am sure the vast majority of Hab fans would be thrilled.....alas you cannot even do that. Any trade proposal for Price is delusional otherwise.
even if he was in Hart trophy form this trade would be a really hard sell to Nashville. Rinne is an elite goalie and Tolvanen + 2 firsts has some serious value to the Preds. it probably wouldn't be worth it even then. The fact that Price is getting paid more than Kucherov to be the 3rd best goalie on his team with a .900 sv% makes it hilariously bad

Reactions: Devonator

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
even if he was in Hart trophy form this trade would be a really hard sell to Nashville. Rinne is an elite goalie and Tolvanen + 2 firsts has some serious value to the Preds. it probably wouldn't be worth it even then. The fact that Price is getting paid more than Kucherov to be the 3rd best goalie on his team with a .900 sv% makes it hilariously bad

You think Price is the 3rd best goalie on the Habs is a fact? :biglaugh:. Your credibility on the subject has just declined greatly! Come on man... do you seriously believe what you are saying?

You are on a role... While you are at it, tell us what you think Nylander, Marner, and Matthews will be making? They are all leaving money on the table like Tavares right?

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003

Agreed! It boggles the mind that some Hab fans simply do not get it.....at this point in Price's career, I doubt you could give him away for free with that insanely stupid contract....no one wants that on their team...a 31 year old player that may be showing signs of decline.....yep.....this is as bad a contract as their is!

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Almost a 6 year age gap between Price and Rinne. After retention, the salary difference is $2 - $2.5M. One guy is close to retirement vs the other. One guy is also considering one of the best in the world... but wait, he had an injured season playing on a poor roster so his value is negative now. Same as Patch... he was not worth much cause he had a bad year.

Even with the age difference, their stats have been comparable over the past several years and their POs stats are similar. Price hasn't always played on a poor team, just like Rinne hasn't always been on an excellent team. Price is signed until 38 too, Rinne can sign a deal until he's 38 and provide tutelage over Saros as he develops. NSH keeps all their futures and cap space. You're underestimating what a 9.5M dollar goalie does to NSH's cap in a couple years when Josi is due. a 2M saving in goal can mean quite a bit.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
You think Price is the 3rd best goalie on the Habs is a fact? :biglaugh:. Your credibility on the subject has just declined greatly! Come on man... do you seriously believe what you are saying?

You are on a role... While you are at it, tell us what you think Nylander, Marner, and Matthews will be making? They are all leaving money on the table like Tavares right?
he was 3rd best last year, and I see no reason to change my mind until he proves otherwise. Imagine if Tavares puts up 30 points next year. Do you think he'd be worth something like Stamkos + Foote + 2 firsts? that's basically what you're suggesting here

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Even with the age difference, their stats have been comparable over the past several years and their POs stats are similar. Price hasn't always played on a poor team, just like Rinne hasn't always been on an excellent team. Price is signed until 38 too, Rinne can sign a deal until he's 38 and provide tutelage over Saros as he develops. NSH keeps all their futures and cap space.

Ever consider the Preds have a much better team and this affects goalie stats? Price >> Rinne. But that is my opinion

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
he was 3rd best last year, and I see no reason to change my mind until he proves otherwise. Imagine if Tavares puts up 30 points next year. Do you think he'd be worth something like Stamkos + Foote + 2 firsts? that's basically what you're suggesting here

Insisting Price is the 3rd best goalie on the Habs is Trolling! Saying Tavares puts up 30 pts is like Saying Price won't be great playing with the Preds and their core.

Tavares for Stamkos+ is nowhere close to Price for Rinne+. Keep trying.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Ever consider the Preds have a much better team and this affects goalie stats? Price >> Rinne. But that is my opinion
The Preds weren't always the power house they are today, and the Habs weren't always a poor team as they are today yet their career stats are quite similar. Both G's have appeared in the POs with comparable stats. Price might be>Rinne, but the difference is not a multitude of high valued picks and prospects

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
why? you agree he was 3rd best last year due to his injury. why do I have to give him a pass and consider him a top 5 elite goalie again before he proves last year was only a fluke?

I question your hockey knowledge if you think Price is the 3rd best goalie on the Habs. Your credibility on the subject holds no value in my books cause you have tunnel vision. You think it's very possible Price declines like Gomez did.... you want it to happen so bad that you think it's probable.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ok, but the fact remains we don't NEED Price. We have Rinne. If Montreal had Rinne with Saros coming up I can guarantee you would not trade Kotkaniemi and two 1sts for Price at $9mil.

Well, I can handle some reasoning. Continuing to trust the Rinne/Saros combo is one of them. But throwing Price under the bus to justify a terrible trade offer is something I'm going to not back down at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad