Value of: Price to Avs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
A few things have to happen for this to happen:

- Canadiens miss the playoffs by 2 points and the media blames a particularly bad game Price has against a non playoff team. The rest of his season has been strong but everyone can point to the bad game.
- Price loses faith in management when the team needs an adjustment and Bergevin in character does nothing.
- Colorado looks like one of the best teams in the league but their goaltending isn't good enough to get anywhere in the playoffs
- Landeskog threatens to look into free agency if Colorado doesn't make a big move to fix their biggest issue (goaltending)
- Geoff Molson stands by Bergevin and Price offers Colorado as a trade destination.

In that scenario? Colorado could get Price, and if they don't ask the Habs to take any cap back they could do it very cheap. If they are taking cap back, the price could be high.

It's a funny thing, Montreal and the old Quebec always attached with disgruntled goalies, but it works when one team is always finding great goalies and the other? Finding great forwards.
The Landeskog part is hilarious. Genuinely made me laugh. If they are getting a goalie trade a boatload for Gibson, not Price. Anyway, Grubauer will do.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
We would have to get rid of some high contracts like Cole and E.J. But a great goalie of Prices ilk can certainly almost guarantee a cup. See. Roy 86, 93, 96 and 01
You do realize Price has been in the league for some time now and has yet to even play in a Stanley Cup final, right?

Reactions: go4hockey

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
It will never happens, because Price will retire as a Habs.

But just for shits and giggles, let's say that we were even ready to retain on Price, like 3,5M or 4M" for the next 6 years (Price's entire contract), what would be the offer?

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
So it's Price's fault if the Habs hasn't won the cup?

You do realize that Vasilevski would be dead by now if he had played behind the Canadiens defense.
You guys are proving my point. Read the post I was responding to. "Goalies of Price's ilk..." certainly do not guarantee a Cup, as there are plenty of other factors at play.

Reactions: go4hockey

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Do you actually think Grubauer and Francouz I see Martin Jones 2.0. Good, just not good enough
Where can we shave $6.7 million from our roster and still compete? $10 million goalies are a detriment.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Like it or not, Price is a great goalie with great pedigree, I absolutely think we win the cup this year with him in the net or at least make it to the finals giving us a chance. Do you honestly think the avs win their two cup with David Abershier or Marc Denis. Pretty much the same standard as we have now with Grubauer. Price is expensive but he’s probably the best option we have for a cup win

And I think you are completely misguided on this one...
Vasilevski is the first "elite" goalie in a long, long time that has won the cup. And mostly due to the fact that the rest of his team was incredibly stacked...

Price is not only expensive, he kills any type of hope we have to win a cup 2-3 years from now once we have to pay Makar/Landeskog/MacKinnon...
Thats why this idea is so hilariously bad. Its not like the Avs need a high paid goalie to win the cup. Binnington, Murray, etc long have proven that your approach is the complete wrong one to take...
I mean a healthy Grubi would very likely have been more than enough to get to the Stanley Cup finals and I am not a huge Grubi fan myself...

Price wouldn't guarantee a cup at all. He is not as good as he once was and considering how unlucky the Avs have been over the years with injuries to goalies combined with Prices age and contract, this idea makes no sense tbh. Especially factoring in that he has had injury issues as well so just imagine how stupid you would look if he goes down like Grubi did...
There are other options out there that make way more sense to look into than a 33 year old aging goalie on a ridiculous 10m+ contract for the next 6 years. Sakic already passed on many of them (Murray, Markstrom, etc.). There are still others out there if you really are deadset on making a move and overpaying like hell to get it done like for example Gibson, Korpisalo/Elvis...

This idea of the Avs trading for Price is just ridiculously stupid in a capworld...
Especially if you are also willing to give up pieces we really need in the future like Newhook. Thats franchise killingly bad...

Last edited:
Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I feel like the Habs are gunning for the cup themselves or at least the Eastern conference, given the moves they made. Probably hoping to capitalize on what's left of Price, Weber and Petry. No chance that happens if Price is moved since they'll be counting on him to steal a couple rounds

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
You guys are proving my point. Read the post I was responding to. "Goalies of Price's ilk..." certainly do not guarantee a Cup, as there are plenty of other factors at play.

Proving your point?

It's a stupid point to make. Of course Price doesn't guarantee a cup.
f***ing McDavid himself, a player is better than anyone on the Lightning's roster (or anyone in the league for that matter) doesn't guarantee a cup either, bro. What are you thinking/talking about?

The point is that the Avs are an elite goaltender away to do some serious damage, and it so happens that Price is a top tier goaltender, if not the best straight up.

Lightning's won because they had elite talent on multiple lines, with a great d-corps and Vasi in goals. Avs, with Price in goals, would give them an equal opportunity, since they are stacked everywhere else.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Best lineup we’ve surrounded Price with in 10 years so would rather keep him than retain anything or for pennies on the dollar. Understand why most teams won’t touch that contract.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Proving your point?

It's a stupid point to make. Of course Price doesn't guarantee a cup.
f***ing McDavid himself, a player is better than anyone on the Lightning's roster (or anyone in the league for that matter) doesn't guarantee a cup either, bro. What are you thinking/talking about?

The point is that the Avs are an elite goaltender away to do some serious damage, and it so happens that Price is a top tier goaltender, if not the best straight up.

Lightning's won because they had elite talent on multiple lines, with a great d-corps and Vasi in goals. Avs, with Price in goals, would give them an equal opportunity, since they are stacked everywhere else.

You are not adding Price in a vacuum.
He comes with one of the ugliest contracts in the league and completely screws you over for the last 3-4 years of his contract. You basically have very little chance of winning if your 10M+ goalie starts aging. Especially on a team like the Avs that by then will have to pay all of his young star players...

Avs with Price would be a significantly weaker team especially once they have to pay Makar/MacKinnon/Landeskog...
They would be Toronto but way worse....
They would have to win the cup next year or at the very latest the year after or this would be one of the biggest blunders ever made. There is no logic behind the Avs risking that. None...

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
You are not adding Price in a vacuum.
He comes with one of the ugliest contracts in the league and completely screws you over for the last 3-4 years of his contract. You basically have very little chance of winning if your 10M+ goalie starts aging. Especially on a team like the Avs that by then will have to pay all of his young star players...

Avs with Price would be a significantly weaker team especially once they have to pay Makar/MacKinnon/Landeskog...
They would be Toronto but way worse....

You act like negotiations isn't a thing.

What if it was a 6,5M$ or 7M$ Carey Price?

Habs could retains (of course, the price for that would go up), but things can be discussed.

And would they be weaker? Price just took out the Pens all by himself. He has an impact on the game like few players has.

If Avs are trying to win NOW and are ok with throwing picks and prospects, some deals could be reached, I'm pretty sure of it.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Hypothetically speaking if the avs has Price in net this past year I think we win the cup. I know avs fans don’t want to pay “THE PRICE “ to acquire him and habs are never going to part with him but do the avs have what it take to pull off a deal to acquire Price without hurting their roster. Most avs fans would agree If we had Price in net that we would have probably won the cup this past season. What could avs realistically put together with picks and prospects to get price for a cup run.
Kizsla. That you drinking and typing again? Apologies to the Habs fans that have to read this absurd idea of a Price to Avs concept. Some people know not what they say.

Last edited:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You act like negotiations isn't a thing.

What if it was a 6,5M$ or 7M$ Carey Price?

Habs could retains (of course, the price for that would go up), but things can be discussed.

And would they be weaker? Price just took out the Pens all by himself. He has an impact on the game like few players has.

If Avs are trying to win NOW and are ok with throwing picks and prospects, some deals could be reached, I'm pretty sure of it.
Price at $6.5M-$7M gets you a 1st rounder at best

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Price at $6.5M-$7M gets you a 1st rounder at best

Then there would be absolutly no deal to be made, because it's a stupid return, especially if we were to retains 3,5M or 4M per year, for 6 year.

The 1st would be the start.
Then prospects would have to be add.
Habs would most likely have to take a cape dump or something too, so, that has a price also.

That way, Habs can do a quick rebuild of 1 or 2 years, while they finish grooming Primeau, and Avs can compete for the cup for years to come, without touch their roaster.

Win-Win

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Then there would be absolutly no deal to be made, because it's a stupid return, especially if we were to retains 3,5M or 4M per year, for 6 year.

The 1st would be the start.
Then prospects would have to be add.
Habs would most likely have to take a cape dump or something too, so, that has a price also.

That way, Habs can do a quick rebuild of 1 or 2 years, while they finish grooming Primeau, and Avs can compete for the cup for years to come, without touch their roaster.

Win-Win
Carey Price at $7M until he's 39 isn't a contract that has any value.

Reactions: MisterT

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I wouldn't give up anything to get Price. That's my stance on his contract situation.

I wouldn't take his contract for free, even if you retained on it. That's my stance on our roster construction and future salary cap implications.

Why the f*** did an Avs fan post this? I love that part about "if it wouldn't hurt the roster" LOL. By definition, it hurts the roster. There's no way it doesn't hurt the roster. It's an asinine suggestion. It's potentially giving up assets of value for a player that a) might not even move the needle much because Grubauer is pretty legit. b) adds a contract to our books for SIX seasons at anywhere from ~$6M to ~$10.5M on the cap. With Makar and Landeskog approaching RFA/UFA, and MacKinnon needing a HEFTY raise in 3 seasons. That's what I'd call f***ing stupid.

You wanna rip this damn team apart in 3 years because Grubauer isn't good enough so now you can't afford Nathan MacKinnon. I think there wouldn't be a goalie (other than Bobrovsky - LOL) that would be more damaging to the future of this roster to acquire than Price. Stop it, Avs and Habs fans alike.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
If Habs retained 25% that contract would be very valuable to his trade value as he's still a stud. However, I don't see Habs retaining that much or for that long. They are obviously trying to win themselves and highly doubt moving their best player that gives them a chance every game. Avs though would be scary good with Price tending their goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad