Value of: Price to Avs

Status
Not open for further replies.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Hypothetically speaking if the avs has Price in net this past year I think we win the cup. I know avs fans don’t want to pay “THE PRICE “ to acquire him and habs are never going to part with him but do the avs have what it take to pull off a deal to acquire Price without hurting their roster. Most avs fans would agree If we had Price in net that we would have probably won the cup this past season. What could avs realistically put together with picks and prospects to get price for a cup run.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
They 100% have the assets required without hurting their roster. The issue is I doubt many avs fans would want to move Newhook and possibly kaut or timmins for price and I doubt habs fans would want anything less.
And then you have to deal with the contract issues long term for colorado, it’s just not sensible in my opinion.
It’d be like a team that shall remain nameless, trading a decent (overly hated on these boards) D and a 1st rd prospect for an overrated soft Defenceman, signing that overrated soft Defenceman to a horrendous undeserved 8 yr deal and in doing so allowing your Stanley cup champion captain and all around #1 D to test free agency due to the cap issues from that horrendous trade then signing.....
inb4 Jost, 2nd and Grubauer

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
They 100% have the assets required without hurting their roster. The only issue is I doubt many avs fans would want to move Newhook and possibly kaut or timmins for price and I doubt habs fans would want anything else.

Realistically though in hindsight if avs knew we could win the cup I don’t think many would mind giving up Newhook, kaut and Timmins. Would avs fans rather a cup or possibility of being like the sharks for the next 10-15 years with mediocre goaltending letting the team down year after year

Reactions: hn777

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Realistically though in hindsight if avs knew we could win the cup I don’t think many would mind giving up Newhook, kaut and Timmins.
True, but on these boards, hyped up prospects are more valuable than established top line players in their primes, hence the massive disconnect between fans and their thoughts on here versus reality of what actually happens in the NHL.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
You’re absolutely right, OP. You would actually win the cup with Price as your goalie. The problem is your fan base (apart from you and perhaps a few others) will never want to admit it.

That said, I understand why no one would want to add a 10.5m goalie on their team. It hurts the team big time cap-wise. And for that reason, I do not see what the Avs would be willing to let go in a trade in order to acquire a 10.5m goalie, and I really do not see 1. Montreal GM Bergevin actually willing to trade Price (unless Price wants out), or 2. Montreal retaining on a long contract.

Lastly, with the Habs retooling their team entirely in hopes to contend, I really do not see us trading Price barring a massive overpayment coming back, which again, I simply do not see anyone want to do that (unless they’re crazy lol).

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
They 100% have the assets required without hurting their roster. The issue is I doubt many avs fans would want to move Newhook and possibly kaut or timmins for price and I doubt habs fans would want anything less.
And then you have to deal with the contract issues long term for colorado, it’s just not sensible in my opinion.
It’d be like a team that shall remain nameless, trading a decent (overly hated on these boards) D and a 1st rd prospect for an overrated soft Defenceman, signing that overrated soft Defenceman to a horrendous undeserved 8 yr deal and in doing so allowing your Stanley cup champion captain and all around #1 D to test free agency due to the cap issues from that horrendous trade then signing.....
I mean, if I were offered Jost + 2nd + Grubauer for Price, I would actually think about it long and hard, if only to save big time on cap $ (a luxury in today’s cap hell situation). There’s a reason some of us Hab fans, myself included, wish Price would be the one to go to Seattle, and it’s certainly not because of his skill, etc. We personally feel the Habs aren’t close to contending: they lack top-end forward skills (our best forward is Gallagher lol), better left side defence, etc.

If it weren’t for Price’s awful cap hit, this would absolutely be in the Avs best interest to trade for him, but, alas, that is not the case... Price is a 10.5m goalie, and no matter which way one would like to spin it, that’s a huge handicap going forward cap-wise (especially in the COVID cap hell situation).

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Realistically though in hindsight if avs knew we could win the cup I don’t think many would mind giving up Newhook, kaut and Timmins. Would avs fans rather a cup or possibility of being like the sharks for the next 10-15 years with mediocre goaltending letting the team down year after year
Oh, yes please! I would never say no to Newhook, Kaut, and Timmins. That would massively improve our already-great prospect pool.

I mean, if Bergevin were to actually trade Price, I do believe Newhook+(+) would have to come back. But that’s only because Bergevin really loves Price and wouldn’t give him up barring a massive overpayment.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Hypothetically speaking if the avs has Price in net this past year I think we win the cup. I know avs fans don’t want to pay “THE PRICE “ to acquire him and habs are never going to part with him but do the avs have what it take to pull off a deal to acquire Price without hurting their roster. Most avs fans would agree If we had Price in net that we would have probably won the cup this past season. What could avs realistically put together with picks and prospects to get price for a cup run.
i believe you are 100% right. Price in between the pipes would have won you the cup.
Yes i also believe you have the necessary assets to get Price without hurting your team.
But like one poster has said Many Avs fans won't admit that Price would had won them the cup this pass playoff .
Nice to see a very intelligent post from what seems a very intelligent and realistic poster.
Well done thread starter.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I mean, if I were offered Jost + 2nd + Grubauer for Price, I would actually think about it long and hard, if only to save big time on cap $ (a luxury in today’s cap hell situation). There’s a reason some of us Hab fans, myself included, wish Price would be the one to go to Seattle, and it’s certainly not because of his skill, etc. We personally feel the Habs aren’t close to contending: they lack top-end forward skills (our best forward is Gallagher lol), better left side defence, etc.

If it weren’t for Price’s awful cap hit, this would absolutely be in the Avs best interest to trade for him, but, alas, that is not the case... Price is a 10.5m goalie, and no matter which way one would like to spin it, that’s a huge handicap going forward cap-wise (especially in the COVID cap hell situation).
Totally understandable, but from a hockey trade perspective u get what I’m saying right?

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I’m an Avs fan that doesn’t trust our goaltending to win a Cup and would love to have Price.

However, the contract is just too much. We would be crippled on Makar, MacKinnon, etc. extensions.

Just not feasible, although I would love to have Price on the Avs.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
I’m an Avs fan that doesn’t trust our goaltending to win a Cup and would love to have Price.

However, the contract is just too much. We would be crippled on Makar, MacKinnon, etc. extensions.

Just not feasible, although I would love to have Price on the Avs.
We would have to get rid of some high contracts like Cole and E.J. But a great goalie of Prices ilk can certainly almost guarantee a cup. See. Roy 86, 93, 96 and 01

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
i believe you are 100% right. Price in between the pipes would have won you the cup.
Yes i also believe you have the necessary assets to get Price without hurting your team.
But like one poster has said Many Avs fans won't admit that Price would had won them the cup this pass playoff .
Nice to see a very intelligent post from what seems a very intelligent and realistic poster.
Well done thread starter.

What do you belive Price would won them a cup?
He has no trackrecord, he lost against Hart this season etc

Reactions: MisterT

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Thats bullshit reasoning. We have only one timeline and there are no do-overs. Issue with the Avs were injuries not the general quality of their goaltending. Price is no iron man to say the least. Its as likely that he would have gone down early in the playoffs as it was with Grubauer.
Its completely wrong to assume that had we just traded for Price that we would have won the cup.
Price has aburdly negative value in a flat cap world. He is about the last person (right before Bobrovsky) the Avs should think about acquiring with all of our young studs looking for new contracts..
Its baffling that there are still Avs fans out there that believe trading for Price is even remotely something our team should consider...

I have no qualms with looking at a replacement for Grubi due to his injury record. I have gone down that road myself. But that road certainly does not lead to a guy like Price. Note even remotely...

Reactions: go4hockey

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Thats bullshit reasoning. We have only one timeline and there are no do-overs. Issue with the Avs were injuries not the general quality of their goaltending. Price is no iron man to say the least. Its as likely that he would have gone down early in the playoffs as it was with Grubauer.
Its completely wrong to assume that had we just traded for Price that we would have won the cup.
Price has aburdly negative value in a flat cap world. He is about the last person (right before Bobrovsky) the Avs should think about acquiring with all of our young studs looking for new contracts..
Its baffling that there are still Avs fans out there that believe trading for Price is even remotely something our team should consider...

I have no qualms with looking at a replacement for Grubi due to his injury record. I have gone down that road myself. But that road certainly does not lead to a guy like Price. Note even remotely...
Like it or not, Price is a great goalie with great pedigree, I absolutely think we win the cup this year with him in the net or at least make it to the finals giving us a chance. Do you honestly think the avs win their two cup with David Abershier or Marc Denis. Pretty much the same standard as we have now with Grubauer. Price is expensive but he’s probably the best option we have for a cup win

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Price is inconsistent. The idea he would have won a cup with the avs is misguided. There are far better goalie options out there.
No you ae misguided. Price is not inconsistent. He plays poorly when he is overused. And since he has played behind a terrible defense for most of his tenure with the Habs he has done very well. He is making too much to be moveable but if he was making say 6 mil there would be teams after him all the time. Of course at 6 mil Canadiens would never move him.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
A few things have to happen for this to happen:

- Canadiens miss the playoffs by 2 points and the media blames a particularly bad game Price has against a non playoff team. The rest of his season has been strong but everyone can point to the bad game.
- Price loses faith in management when the team needs an adjustment and Bergevin in character does nothing.
- Colorado looks like one of the best teams in the league but their goaltending isn't good enough to get anywhere in the playoffs
- Landeskog threatens to look into free agency if Colorado doesn't make a big move to fix their biggest issue (goaltending)
- Geoff Molson stands by Bergevin and Price offers Colorado as a trade destination.

In that scenario? Colorado could get Price, and if they don't ask the Habs to take any cap back they could do it very cheap. If they are taking cap back, the price could be high.

It's a funny thing, Montreal and the old Quebec always attached with disgruntled goalies, but it works when one team is always finding great goalies and the other? Finding great forwards.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
I know avs fans don’t want to pay “THE PRICE “ to acquire him and habs are never going to part with him but do the avs have what it take to pull off a deal to acquire Price without hurting their roster.

The above statement is the reason why this thread should not exist. The Montreal Canadiens (a team with plenty of picks and prospects) have spent the last few weeks upgrading their team to win now, then they trade their best player, in an unnecessary cap dump, for pieces that will not hurt the Avs' roster???

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Price isn’t a good fit. Too old for what the Avs are trying to do. Too expensive considering the long term cap implications and needing to re-sign core players.

If Price was capable of dragging a team to the Cup, he’d have done it already. He isn’t even remotely close to being like Roy. Also, goalies aren’t worth that much in trade. He wouldn’t be returning a Newhook or Byram. Timmins OR Kaut is the type of prospect he’d return. Not both. Goalies just do not carry that kind of value.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
No you ae misguided. Price is not inconsistent. He plays poorly when he is overused. And since he has played behind a terrible defense for most of his tenure with the Habs he has done very well. He is making too much to be moveable but if he was making say 6 mil there would be teams after him all the time. Of course at 6 mil Canadiens would never move him.

Is that your theory ss to why he frequently plays poorly?

Out of curiousity, what would you call someone you think is good but often plays poorly? Would you maybe say thats "inconsistent"?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad