TSN: Price, Subban, Gallagher, and Therrien top the NHL Awards ballot poll

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Certainly. As long as you concede to the notion that despite not having a season that is up to his standards (as far as it being a tale of two seasons right now), that coaches in the NHL still see him as a top netminder, we'll be all good.

A certain proportion of coaches who couldn't vote for their own players have voted for Price being the top goalie in the east this season in a season where a lot of goalies have gotten injured and others have struggled in the east.

pine*

A certain proportion of coaches who couldn't vote for their own players have voted for Price being the top goalie in the east this season in a season where a lot of goalies have gotten injured and others have struggled in the east.

Lol, keep trying to find excuses as to why coaches might have voted Price in as top goalie in the Eastern Conference. I find it hilarious to see people scrambling around in search of explanations.

Michael-Jackson-Eating-Popcorn.gif

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
They mention Gallagher "narrowly" beating Huberdeau, while they don't mention anything of the like for Price. Seems he won this one handedly, not through some elaborate scheme of second place votes and a Budaj-less ballot.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore

Wow, we seriously got 4 guys on that list? Really? How come Bergevin let that pass! We should have all ten on this list or else we obivously suck. That Price dude don't even have the Hart given to him and some people still call him a good goalie :shakehead

On a more serious note, it's nice to get some recognition. But what our team does during the regular season holds very little importance compared to what we'll do in the playoffs. Still a lot of hockey to be played, hopefully.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay

Is this maybe not at all about Price, and more and more about you being emotionally invested in this whole goalie deabte that's been going on for like 8 years now?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

K. So what you are saying is Price hasn't struggled in the East? I mean, if he did, then he would not have been voted for.

Your argument is flawed.

I can't vote for Lundqvist. Why am I not voting for Rask, Reimer, Fleury, Vokoun, Brodeur, Nabokov, Pavelec, Anderson, Bishop, Lehner etc. etc.

If Price isn't that good then he's not going to get the vote and someone else is going to.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Nice to see the Habs FINALLY getting recognize throughout the conference (I would say league if we played the West at all this year) with 4 wins. If Ottawa makes the playoffs, I don't see Therrien beating MacLean and I don't see Price beating many goalies in the West with his play this year. Our best shots realistically are Subban (I personally think he's a lock, despite many calls for Suter due to his "minutes") and Gallagher.

LeoHabs*

Not Price

I agree that Gallagher, Subban, and Therrien deserve the Calder, Norris and Adams. But in no way has Price had a Vezina winning season.:shakehead

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Is this maybe not at all about Price, and more and more about you being emotionally invested in this whole goalie deabte that's been going on for like 8 years now?

K. So what you are saying is Price hasn't struggled in the East? I mean, if he did, then he would not have been voted for.

Your argument is flawed.

I can't vote for Lundqvist. Why am I not voting for Rask, Reimer, Fleury, Vokoun, Brodeur, Nabokov, Pavelec, Anderson, Bishop, Lehner etc. etc.

If Price isn't that good then he's not going to get the vote and someone else is going to.

Why do people insist on reading my thoughts? I have not shared my opinion on this yet. I have not derived any conclusions from the poll. All I did was correct other people's false conclusions after seeing the results of the poll. I'm a bit anal about people saying wrong things.

If you want my opinion I think one only has to go to the main NHL board to see what other fans think of the results of this poll in regards with Price. No one understands it, and 75% of all comments are about how they don't get the Price pick and I don't either. I'm trying to make sense of it because it doesn't make sense to me. I think it's normal to try to find the explanation for something you don't understand.

Also it's very nice to see Gallagher beating Huberdeau. I completely agree, he has been better on a better team.

Also nice to see Subban getting the love.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Why do people insist on reading my thoughts? I have not shared my opinion on this yet. I have not derived any conclusions from the poll. All I did was correct other people's false conclusions after seeing the results of the poll. I'm a bit anal about people saying wrong things.

If you want my opinion I think one only has to go to the main NHL board to see what other fans think of the results of this poll in regards with Price. No one understands it, and 75% of all comments are about how they don't get the Price pick and I don't either. I'm trying to make sense of it because it doesn't make sense to me. I think it's normal to try to find the explanation for something you don't understand.

Reading your thoughts:

Originally Posted by E = CH²

You can't have it both ways, man.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay

I'm sorry but I 100% do not buy that, and I'm half certain neither do you. You've offered more than one reason about why it's simply unfathomable that Price can't be the consensus best goalie in the league among 12 coaches. It isn't even a big sample, but it seems like you're trying your hardest to disparage this for whatever reason.

75% of the comments is a huge exaggeration. Plenty of commentary about the Calder, actually. Also, it seems as though a lot of fans from other markets seem to be more accepting that Price may just be among the top of the east this year.

Just. Give. It. Up.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Reading your thoughts:

Originally Posted by E = CH²

You can't have it both ways, man.

Uh ? that sentence you quoted is basically just a description of the voting for the vezina in the east. It's not really my opinion. Don't need to go to the end of the world to see my actual opinion, I posted it up there. I don't get the results of this poll in regards with Price, it's very shocking to me. Is it not shocking to you ? I bet if I had asked you, never in a million years you would have thought Price would have ended up first for this. If you're honest you will admit it.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Uh ? that sentence you quoted is basically just a description of the voting for the vezina in the east. It's not really my opinion. Don't need to go to the end of the world to see my actual opinion, I posted it up there. I don't get the results of this poll in regards with Price, it's very shocking to me. Is it not shocking to you ? I bet if I had asked you, never in a million years you would have thought Price would have ended up first for this. If you're honest you will admit it.

I don't think he's having a Vezina worthy season. But your logic that if Price is the default choice because of injuries and struggles this season, and teams can't vote for their own goalie, then you have to axe the Habs vote, then you'd also have to concede that Price didn't struggle as badly as the other struggling goalies, and that in any situation there is no more than 2 goalies in the East by each coach that has been better this season than Price.

Carey Cost*

I don't get it usually East teams hate us...I'm sure the voters are trying to troll us make us think we are so good... Philadelphia, Boston, Rangers, Islanders, Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Carolina (second thought Muller is there), Washington, Pittsburgh??? Are you gonna tell me those teams would truly vote for us? Thats 10 out of 14.

I'm sure they all had a great laugh when they wrote down Price

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I'm sorry but I 100% do not buy that, and I'm half certain neither do you. You've offered more than one reason about why it's simply unfathomable that Price can't be the consensus best goalie in the league among 12 coaches. It isn't even a big sample, but it seems like you're trying your hardest to disparage this for whatever reason.

75% of the comments is a huge exaggeration. Plenty of commentary about the Calder, actually. Also, it seems as though a lot of fans from other markets seem to be more accepting that Price may just be among the top of the east this year.

So in your opinion, Price has been the best goalie in the east this season and these results were entirely predictable and obvious ?

The writer of the article says : "You may be surprised to learn.. "

Were you not ? I was. I admit it. Shocked actually.

Even if only 2 coaches voted him as the best, I'm still surprised.

But here are some comments from people in that other thread :

Just an FYI, this poll was taken before Price got pulled in back to back games.

Yeah...a Vezina winner with a .908 would be weak.

How the hell does Price keep showing up? Saw that McKenzie said he was the consensus for the Vezina. How? Guy's got a .908% sv % and a 2.50 GAA. Lundqvist has easily been better.

Just terrible.

Henrik Lundqvist, James Reimer, Tuukka Rask, Craig Anderson, and Ben Bishop have all been much better than Carey Price. And it's not even close in this particular circumstance.

I agree with pretty much all of it except Price shouldn't be there.

If Columbus makes the postseason Bob should get some consideration for the Hart, I think.

Has he been at forward for a majority of the season?

Even if they don't rely on stats, Carey Price has been garbage.

I'm a big fan of Price but how anyone can pick him is beyond me

Price's backup has better numbers.

Add Fleury (21 wins, 2.26 GAA, .919 sv%) to the "has been better than Price" list, as well.

The coaches probably looked at the success of the current Montreal season and thought Carey Price had a lot to do with it. But he certainly hasn't and has looked terrible more often than not.

How can statistics not matter? They reflect how poorly Carey Price is playing.

What has he contributed to Montreal this season? :laugh:

When there is a huge disparity and the sample size is similar, they do.

If Carey Price wins the Vezina, it will be the biggest travesty in quite some time. There are 5-6 goaltenders who have objectively had superior years.

i'd vote lundquist instead of price. price hasn't been so great this season IMO before his last 2 games.

And those were from the first 25 posts. 13 out of 25 posts about that. And around 3-4 out of the remaining 12 posts were habs fans defending the pick. Nearly the whole first page was about that.

Isn't it just a little bit surprising. It's ok you can admit it.

Just. Give. It. Up.

No. Now what ?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I don't think he's having a Vezina worthy season. But your logic that if Price is the default choice because of injuries and struggles this season, and teams can't vote for their own goalie, then you have to axe the Habs vote, then you'd also have to concede that Price didn't struggle as badly as the other struggling goalies, and that in any situation there is no more than 2 goalies in the East by each coach that has been better this season than Price.

It's not my logic. It's merely a depiction of the situation of the voting. You can decide to read whatever you want into it. But it wasn't an opinion in itself.

But since you seem adamant about wanting me to explain that comment so :

As for the Vezina, many of the coaches acknowledged that Ottawa's Craig Anderson was well on his way to being a slam dunk in this category but his injury derailed that.

That's basically why I mentionned injuries, that and Ward.

And the reason I actually mentionned the struggles is because it put everyone more or less on the same level. Then it became a crap shoot, votes went a bit everywhere and Price ended up with more votes in a weird situation. Now I know you will say I'm trying to diminish his accomplishment. But I'm merely trying to explain something that made no sense to me.

I don't think my assumption is too far fetched or illogical. You may think otherwise, that's fine. There are other players concerned with this whole thing, so this is my last post about this I don't want to keep raining on the party, or pooping on the parade.. or wait what ?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I would've defended the Price choice before the past two games... he mostly played great despite some bad games but after the past two there's no way he can be considered.

Still, it's nice to see that he's highly regarded by the coaches around the league. Gallagher is a good choice so is Subban. As great as MT has been I can't take him over Paul Maclean. What an insane job he's done in Ottawa.

Dec 2, 2010
I hope people know that it is not a reflection of the award results at the end of the season, but a complementing yet relatively meaningless poll.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad