Proposal: Price of Patrick Laine?

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Even if Ovechkin was a one trick pony as a youngster -- a young trick pony averaging 54 goals/103 points is in a completely different league than a one trick pony averaging 36 goals/61 points. Like, not even comparable. One trick pony 50 goal/100 point guy is worth a **** load of money, regardless of his shortcomings. I'm not sure one trick pony 35 goal/60 point guy is with that huge/ridiculous contract. It's an asinine comparison.

I'm not comparing Laine's value to Ovechkin's at the same age. I was comparing their PP trick.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Jesus, the goal scoring fetishism has gotten out of control. What year is it?

For years now I've watched in amazement as people credit these types for being a "pure goal scorer." In almost any other situation, being a "pure [insert descriptor here]" is an indictment - a sign that a player is deficient in other key categories. Yet here we are, fawning over a guy because he scored 44 goals at the age of 20 despite a host of other deficiencies. And this with the knowledge that these guys are often put in the best position to succeed at that task (even guys like Frk and Pulkkinen have been gifted PP time and prioritized for their shot despite the poor return) and yet the majority of them still don't outscore those who are not pure goal scorers.

People treat Laine like he has the scoring prowess of a young Ovechkin or Stamkos. Yet he doesn't. While they contributed more in other ways.

People treat young guys like Pasta and DeBrincat as lesser while their scoring rate is right up there with Laine. Yet they contribute more in other ways.

And the crazy thing about Laine specifically is that he's a heavy-footed guy with mediocre edgework - he doesn't even have the raw tools that have allowed smaller, shiftier guys to massively close the goal-scoring gap without sacrificing other areas of their game.

Its bananas. Rick Nash 2.0.

Who the hell treats Pasta or Debrincat as lesser? They’re fabulous players and Pasta is hailed as one of the best contracts in the league. Debrincat is too. Just because they’re good players and they have their team a break on the AAV doesn’t mean that Laine should.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
'Member when people thought Nyquist was the next 50 goal scorer?

Laine has a legitimate chance at being a 50 goal scorer. Objectively, what assests are you going to give up for that?

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Laine was 45th in the league in goals this year

if he wants to get paid like a 40+ goal scorer while sucking at literally everything else maybe he should at least try and learn how to score goals again first

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It was only 2-3 years ago that everyone was talking about how you can't win with Ovechkin.
And really, what do Kucherov/Kane do when not producing offensively?
f*** all.
You get a chance to get an elite goal-scoring winger without giving up elite level talent, you take it.

Reactions: ShippinItDaily

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Who the hell treats Pasta or Debrincat as lesser? They’re fabulous players and Pasta is hailed as one of the best contracts in the league. Debrincat is too. Just because they’re good players and they have their team a break on the AAV doesn’t mean that Laine should.

Pasta and Larkin really kind of got screwed on their contracts. The new Contract 2 Cash-In had just started becoming a thing and wasn't fully established.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Laine is the definition of a One Trick Pony. Not a guy I'd want on my roster chasing a cup. -24, doesn't play D, etc.

The question is not that what you want the question is what Steve Y and Redwings wants.
If Yzerman wants Laine to Redwings he'll find a way for that like it or not.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The question is not that what you want the question is what Steve Y and Redwings wants.
If Yzerman wants Laine to Redwings he'll find way for that like it or not.
I'm not worried either way because Stevie isn't the type to overpay for a player like Laine. We've already seen him pass up on Trouba, Gusev, Miller, etc. Can't imagine he's going to chase after Laine. The only question at this point is if Kronwall is returning. I bet nothing else happens until TDL.

In the meantime we can speculate on what Laine is worth in terms of trade, where he winds up, and how much he gets paid. It's just for kicks and giggles.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Well the jets are pretty handcuffed with the cap so I think they’d want younger cheap guys and we’re pretty strapped now with our monumental filppula/nemeth signings

I don’t think we’re in any position to be going for laine with where we’re at now but I think he’s getting unfairly criticized and will be a 50 goal guy in the league.

Just for fun’s

Cholowski + Rasmussen + green (to help them with next season after their d got decimated) + 2021 conditional 1st (goes to 22 if it’s a top 10 pick and Detroit decides to transfer it

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Well the jets are pretty handcuffed with the cap so I think they’d want younger cheap guys and we’re pretty strapped now with our monumental filppula/nemeth signings

I don’t think we’re in any position to be going for laine with where we’re at now but I think he’s getting unfairly criticized and will be a 50 goal guy in the league.

Just for fun’s

Cholowski + Rasmussen + green (to help them with next season after their d got decimated) + 2021 conditional 1st (goes to 22 if it’s a top 10 pick and Detroit decides to transfer it

No. If you want Laine, you can't bundle a bunch of lesser pieces and put conditionals on picks. There is a 100% certainty that this trade gets trumped.

1) There is no real premier asset. Cholo and Moose are nice, but both have questions. Green has one year left and is just as likely to be hurt as play. A 2021 1st that might go to 2022? Yeah, that's not enticing.

2) You say yourself Laine is going to be a 50 goal guy. If Detroit had a fifty goal guy, would you give that up for two good prospects, an injury prone guy who's optimally a middle pairing guy if he has a better partner than him and a pick that isn't likely to see the league until 2023?

I get you want Laine for as little as possible, but this is a trade that pretty easily gets trumped by any team with an interest in Laine.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It was only 2-3 years ago that everyone was talking about how you can't win with Ovechkin.
**** all.
You get a chance to get an elite goal-scoring winger without giving up elite level talent, you take it.

I'm not sure I'm ready to lump Laine in with those three guys. Even if the Wings aren't giving up elite talent to get him, he's not going to come cheap. And he's not going to re-sign cheap. For a guy who had roughly equal production to Athanasiou, I'm not real eager to dump a bunch of assets on the guy because he should be an elite talent. How sold are we that Laine is going to return to being the 50 goal game changer he was supposed to be versus the 30 goal support player he was last year?

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
No. If you want Laine, you can't bundle a bunch of lesser pieces and put conditionals on picks. There is a 100% certainty that this trade gets trumped.

1) There is no real premier asset. Cholo and Moose are nice, but both have questions. Green has one year left and is just as likely to be hurt as play. A 2021 1st that might go to 2022? Yeah, that's not enticing.

2) You say yourself Laine is going to be a 50 goal guy. If Detroit had a fifty goal guy, would you give that up for two good prospects, an injury prone guy who's optimally a middle pairing guy if he has a better partner than him and a pick that isn't likely to see the league until 2023?

I get you want Laine for as little as possible, but this is a trade that pretty easily gets trumped by any team with an interest in Laine.
Well wasn’t easy to include cholowski cause I think his offensive production will be good but with seider,tuomisto and mcisaac I think we can afford it , Rasmussen is still a top 10 pick who barely got minutes last season, if he indeed becomes a bust it’ll be a huge mistake on our part considering we got him at 9 and who we passed on but I’m not willing to say that yet

I’m personally expecting him to get dealt and I’m betting on him going to the habs and I’m 100% certain kotkaniemi won’t be included or Romanov

jets are in a tough situation it’s either take the 4 firsts or workout something that can help them now and they can live with, I think they should keep him but they seem to not wanna force perreault and/or little out to sign Conner and laine and help with the back end and I think they’ll regret it

We’ll see what happens

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
**** all.

Kucherov and Kane are 100 point players and much better passers than Laine. Laine is a 60 point player. Bit of a difference.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
**** all.

Who is saying you'll land Laine without giving up elite talent? That's the whole premise here. Laine will not come cheap. I don't know where people are pulling these fantasies of Rasmussen and a 2nd or the Cholo, Rasmussen, Green, and a conditional 1st from. There is literally nothing that indicates that Laine will be available for anything but a good amount of top talent.

Also, Laine is a pretty clear step behind Ovi, Kucherov, and Kane.... and the people saying you couldn't win with Ovi were kinda dumb. Finally, Washington finally broke through because they had a fully realized one-two punch down the middle and Ovi doing Ovi things. Like you couldn't just win with Ovechkin, but give him Backstrom firing on most or all cylinders and Kuznetsov + Oshie + others and all of a sudden you have a team that can do something.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
'Member when people thought Nyquist was the next 50 goal scorer?

Laine has a legitimate chance at being a 50 goal scorer. Objectively, what assests are you going to give up for that?
That was my question. He would be our best goal scorer since who? Fedorov? Shanahan?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Who is saying you'll land Laine without giving up elite talent? That's the whole premise here. Laine will not come cheap. I don't know where people are pulling these fantasies of Rasmussen and a 2nd or the Cholo, Rasmussen, Green, and a conditional 1st from. There is literally nothing that indicates that Laine will be available for anything but a good amount of top talent.
You know, the funny thing is that's a total of 4 first round picks. (Yeah, I know that was a long time ago for Greenie.) Quite frankly, if they're asking for more than that, I'm not interested and I can't imagine Stevie being interested either. If you're building a team, you can't create bigger holes than the one you fill, especially with the defense being a glaring weakness on this team.

Maybe in the future if the team gets lucky and all of the prospects live up to their hype.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Laine is a lot younger than Kane and like 5 years younger than Kucherov. Big difference.

So? Doesn’t mean he’s going to be a 100 point player ever.

Laine should not ever be brought up in a conversation about Ovechkin, Kane, Kucherov, etc because he has not yet proven he is even in the same stratosphere as those players. Last season he was more like an Athanasiou level player than he was a Patrick Kane level player. Maybe you should compare him to AA instead.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

Laine should not ever be brought up in a conversation about Ovechkin, Kane, Kucherov, etc because he has not yet proven he is even in the same stratosphere as those players. Last season he was more like an Athanasiou level player than he was a Patrick Kane level player. Maybe you should compare him to AA instead.
How do you he isn't going to be 100 point player? Would you have said Kucherov or Marchand would have been 3-5 years ago? Young players can get better you know....

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I had a nightmare that Bertuzzi was traded for Laine straight up. While this would probably be considered a "steal", I didn't feel great about it in the dream for some reason. Bertuzzi does a lot of things at a decent level, Laine does 1 thing very well, so Laine is like the antithesis of Bert.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

I thought about that yesterday & on our squad, AA was who I compared him to (prior to this past season), where he showed some more hustle, some D, etc. Laine is more like AA without the speed. Does Laine have any/many 1-on-1 moves?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->