Proposal: Price of Patrick Laine?

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I know he is "one dimensional" blah blah. He is very unhappy in Winnipeg and I wonder what his price would be to acquire him? The Jets basically gave away Trouba so I think it's worth kicking tires on. Can't have enough scorers especially young ones with a R handed shot. Would Mantha +2nd or Zadina +Svechnikov do the trick? Wondering the price?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I know he is "one dimensional" blah blah. He is very unhappy in Winnipeg and I wonder what his price would be to acquire him? The Jets basically gave away Trouba so I think it's worth kicking tires on. Can't have enough scorers especially young ones with a R handed shot. Would Mantha +2nd or Zadina +Svechnikov do the trick? Wondering the price?

Not a chance. In this kind of offer, Svech or the second are functionally worthless assets. And with Winnipeg just having "given away Trouba", they're not going to move another young controllable asset at a discount just because he's angry.

Think about it this way. If the Wings had Laine (a 40 goal scorer) would you deal him for a worse version of him and a 50/50 shot at a guy who'd even make the NHL?

It's worth kicking the tires, because it's worth asking about any good player who is potentially available, but there is literally no chance that a Mantha+ 2nd offer isn't immediately beat out by any other team.

Given that you'd have to make it a no-brainer for Winnipeg to think about dealing Laine too.. I'd say it's closer to Mantha/AA + Zadina + a pick than Mantha and a 2nd. It would have to be something that would drastically motivate them as opposed to "eh, it's the best we can do".

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Laine is boom/bust. Was last season a sign of things to come or a slump. He's worth asking about. Can't hurt. I'm in the camp that thinks Winnipeg won't let another valued player skate away for a bargain. Yzerman has also stated he's playing the patience game. He's not going to buy high on Laine.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
i find myself endeared to manthas wrist shot / reach / ruggedness and dont want him going anywhere , he and larks are a perfect duo . mean while if im moving major assets like it would take to bring in laine they would be spent on a D or C where were shallow at and that are also more important posistions than shooting wingers . we just spent a huge asset on a shooting , and beyond , winger in zadina whose a higher ceiling than laine . no interest in laine .

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Zadina +Svechnikov ,but I don't think Jets will be agree

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
i find myself endeared to manthas wrist shot / reach / ruggedness and dont want him going anywhere , he and larks are a perfect duo . mean while if im moving major assets like it would take to bring in laine they would be spent on a D or C where were shallow at and that are also more important posistions than shooting wingers . we just spent a huge asset on a shooting , and beyond , winger in zadina whose a higher ceiling than laine . no interest in laine .

Excuse me? Did I just read that correctly? Zadina has a higher ceiling than Laine? Zadina has a higher ceiling than the former #2 overall selection who is only two years older and has already 3 30+ goal seasons, one of which was 44.

Laine had a down year this year, and I am one of those in the camp who wouldn’t trade for him unless it was an obvious steal for Detroit, but to suggest that Zadina’s ceiling is higher than Laine’s is just about the most ridiculous thing I’ve seen on our page.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Excuse me? Did I just read that correctly? Zadina has a higher ceiling than Laine? Zadina has a higher ceiling than the former #2 overall selection who is only two years older and has already 3 30+ goal seasons, one of which was 44.

Laine had a down year this year, and I am one of those in the camp who wouldn’t trade for him unless it was an obvious steal for Detroit, but to suggest that Zadina’s ceiling is higher than Laine’s is just about the most ridiculous thing I’ve seen on our page.
nice little drama you got going there lol . zadina can skate and pass better than laine ands also a great sniper . zadina posseses the talent to become a more important player than laine , i dont care where laine was drafted or how quickly he got out of the gates .

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Except he has 18 more assists in 11 fewer games. And 37 more goals. And is 4 years younger.

AA had 4 more assists in 6 less games this year on a team that scored 45 less goals while playing almost a minute and a half a game less on the powerplay

Laine is horrifically awful at literally everything but scoring goals and now he's at the point where he needs to prove himself again for even the goal scoring to not be overhyped(he played 82 games this year and was tied with a half dozen other guys for 39th in the league in goals which isn't even close to being worthy of the way some people still talk about him in that regard)

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
nice little drama you got going there lol . zadina can skate and pass better than laine ands also a great sniper . zadina posseses the talent to become a more important player than laine , i dont care where laine was drafted or how quickly he got out of the gates .

Laine has put together a season in year two that many people would be ecstatic if Zadina could replicate. 40+ goals and 70+ points would be phenomenal. Based on Laine being solely a one trick pony and being one of the best goal scorers in hockey over the last 3 years would suggest that his potential is even higher.

Based on your statement, you wouldn’t trade Zadina for Laine straight up. And while I won’t take issue with your stance at all, I think if you were to try to strike that deal with Winnipeg, you would find that Detroit would need to add.

Reactions: Steve91

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

More than we have unless you want to swap our #1 center for a winger...

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Is any team taking a bigger beating this summer than Winnipeg? They lost Myers for nothing. They got a mediocre return on Trouba. Tanev walked. Hayes walked. They still need to re-sign Connor and Laine, and only have eight forwards under contract.and they are looking at a division where Nashville and St. Louis are going to be strong again. Colorado looks like they could take a big step. Dallas could be dangerous. Chicago has revamped things a bit.

Winny cold be looking at a hard season coming up. If the Laine thing drags out, they get off to rough start, etc., I could see them looking to make a move. I can't believe they'd give the guy away, but discussions might shift from having to convince them to sell to giving them a fair deal. And while folks are knocking the Mantha or Zadina + deals, I think those are things that are pretty fair considering the situation.

Reactions: VelenoLikeAFeleno

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Is any team taking a bigger beating this summer than Winnipeg? They lost Myers for nothing. They got a mediocre return on Trouba. Tanev walked. Hayes walked. They still need to re-sign Connor and Laine, and only have eight forwards under contract.and they are looking at a division where Nashville and St. Louis are going to be strong again. Colorado looks like they could take a big step. Dallas could be dangerous. Chicago has revamped things a bit.

Winny cold be looking at a hard season coming up. If the Laine thing drags out, they get off to rough start, etc., I could see them looking to make a move. I can't believe they'd give the guy away, but discussions might shift from having to convince them to sell to giving them a fair deal. And while folks are knocking the Mantha or Zadina + deals, I think those are things that are pretty fair considering the situation.

Columbus

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

A rfa controlled 2×30 goal scorer, and a 1 time 40 goal scorer is worth much more than a prospect and a guy that hasn't hit the 30 goal marker once.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad