Price + Matthews vs Rask + Eichel

What duo would you rather have?

• Total voters

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
Rask and Eichel.

I think Rask is the best goalie in the league. Is Eichel better than Matthews? No, but it’s close.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Matthews and Price since Rask will retire.

Edit. After actually reading the OP I'll go with Rask and Eichel

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Great poll.

Chose Rask and Eichel because the gap between Current Rask > current price is much larger then the gap between Matthews>=Eichel (if not vise versa)

If you ignore age (as per OP) - i dont think its "current" Price and Rask is it?

I voted Price + Matthews. Better career goalie (and still today in my opinion). Matthews and Eichel continue to be close - but if i had to pick one i pick Matthews

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Give me Rask - Eichel. Matthews/Eichel is as close to a draw as you're going to get in a comparison but to me, Rask is better than Price.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Rask > Price
Eichel =< Matthews

the gap between Rask and Price is larger than the one between Matthews and Eichel so give me that duo

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
I think it's clear that a lot of people are stat watching for the goalies. The goalie position is highly correlated to the quality of the defense. When the Bruins were a ~95 pts teams (3 seasons in a row) Rask had a .918% save percentage. Last year the habs were a ~95 pts team and guess what was Prices's save percentage ? .918. I'd rather rank them based on how they play than their stats. Similarly, I think a goalie like Gibson would be top 3 in the league if he played on a better, but it's not the case so he isn't talked about much.

I think a lot of people would be surprised to see Price in front of a good team. He still shows how good he is in a lot of games and I think he could still be at that .930 level. The reality is that its tough to give your all on every shot you face when you know that you won't make the playoffs.

Reactions: Peter Puck

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Price is being extremely underrated because of how bad the Habs defensive core is.

Matthews is better than Eichel. Case closed.

Rask has been more consistent over a long period of time.
Price's high point though is far better, than Rask has ever been.

At their peak, its a slam dunk for Price/Matthews
Career wise, a bit more murkier, and harder to grasp.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Matthews and Eichel are comparable enough that regardless of who you think of those two is the better player you go with the clearly better goalie (Rask) and build the rest of the team around that.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Seems like Price's stock has fallen quick. He's still a good goalie and if I squint my eyes I can see the argument for Price over Rask.

I do firmly believe Matthews is better than Eichel but the difference is negligible. I value goal-scorring ability so I tend to favor Matthews over Eichel. But I concede it's more a preference call than anything else.

Rask is more consistent and he should be ranked ahead of Price. Price does have that insane peak form which scares me. Nobody is better than him when he plays to that ability. Still, Rask's consistency is too good to pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad