Price and Little CUT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
What Pogge brings and you will see is his great ability to handle the puck and set up the defence. The breakout can be so much quicker. He is almost like a 3rd d.

Dubnyk has quite a few game star selections so that tells me he kept his team in the game all on his own. Dubnyk is big and fills in alot of the net. If Price and Dubnyk each had a 50-50 chance and Price will be there next year as the no. 1 why not take Dubnyk as the back up this year. He, like Price, was invited last year and didn't make it. So now he is getting his chance.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Kirk Pedersen said:
Price was cut because he skipped an optional practice yesterday.

Cue the "Price has a bad attitude" and "Price has no desire, or heart" threads :biglaugh:

In all honesty, if Price missing an optional practice is what kept him off the team, then shame on the team for that. At the same time, what was he thinking? You're competing for a job, and you last shot at proving anything is at an optional practice...why...oh why...would you not go to it?

NWDood

Apr 18, 2005
Vancouver
Kirk Pedersen said:
Price was cut because he skipped an optional practice yesterday.

Some goalies don't like to stop pucks the day of a game. Pogge and Dubnyk played the night before and Ellis went out and let in 8 goals to Price's 1. Price did what he thought was best and played well. If what you say is true, apparently playing shoot-out with the coaches and brown-nosing is part of Sutter's criteria.

Rahan

May 27, 2003
Chicoutimi
Visit site
NWDood said:
Some goalies don't like to stop pucks the day of a game. Pogge and Dubnyk played the night before and Ellis went out and let in 8 goals to Price's 1. Price did what he thought was best and played well. If what you say is true, apparently playing shoot-out with the coaches and brown-nosing is part of Sutter's criteria.

And maybe Price's hair wasn't short enough..

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Interesting question for anyone who has seen him play recently...

What should Pogge's "hfrating" be? Currently sitting at 6.5C, the worst out of Price, Dubnyk, Ellis, and himself, is that possibly him being underrated here? (No, I'm not suggesting he's a 9 A, maybe a 7C...7.5D)...anyways...not important...just was curious as to peoples projections of his career abilities.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
"optional practices" are rarely optional if you are not a pro. If that was the reason and he indeed skipped that practice, then good. When you are trying to make a national team, you go to every single practice and meeting, optional or not.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
GregStack said:
Interesting question for anyone who has seen him play recently...

What should Pogge's "hfrating" be? Currently sitting at 6.5C, the worst out of Price, Dubnyk, Ellis, and himself, is that possibly him being underrated here? (No, I'm not suggesting he's a 9 A, maybe a 7C...7.5D)...anyways...not important...just was curious as to peoples projections of his career abilities.

Do you honestly really care? Obviously the people that really matter think differently. I'll chose to believe the people that make a living doing this.

Sammy*

NWDood said:
And maybe Price is very stupid.
If I'm Sutter, I dont want stupid players

Avery4Byng*

I can't say I agree with Pogge-Dubnyk. but my opinion really doesnt matter. I will re-think after the tourney. As of right now I have to show confidence in these two lads as they are leading our country into a huge event. Best of luck guys.

NWDood

Apr 18, 2005
Vancouver
Sammy said:
And maybe Price is very stupid.
If I'm Sutter, I dont want stupid players

And maybe Price trusts what the coach means when he says "optional" and gets ready to play in the way he is most comfortable because the game is important. Those "old school" mind games have ruined more good hockey players than we can count. Believe me I've been around a lot of good kids who were bullied right out of the game because of coaches who could only see things one way. I believe Price tough enough mentally to move past this and get better. He doesn't seem to be one to dwell on the past.

Last edited:

PEli*

cyclops said:
You don't wanna match up and go toe to toe offensively with a team like this years U.S squad as the poster above said.you want balance and a mix of guys that are able to score while making life miserable on that team by putting pressure on them on the forecheck and having guys who are good at and willing to suck it up on the backcheck.Trying to run and gun with them would have been a mistake. it would have been a big challenge regardless of what team we brought,but i trust that Sutter has brought the right mix to give us the best chance at meeting that challenge.That's all you can hope for as a fan.

What you're forgetting is that you can have a balance if you still bring more offense. You don't beat a powerhouse by checking them to death. Not in an international tournament. You end up spending upwards of twenty minutes in the box.

This is not a balanced team. It is heavily lopsided on the plumber side. Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with guys that are willing to sacrifice personal stats to win games. Teams need guys like that. Guys like Mike Richards and Dan Paille come to mind. Those heart and soul guys are necessary. But you don't need eight or ten downgrades of those types of players.

I'm all for balance if it means the team can compete with the best. I don't see this team going toe to toe with the best and winning. An extremely disciplined team or a stellar PK will make the tournament for Canada. Here's hoping we've got it.

NWDood said:

No, being committed would be part of Sutter's criteria. Besides when you're playing at this level, as Price would know, 'optional' rarely ever is. And this is still a rumor anyways, and even if it is true that doesn't make it causative.

NWDood

Apr 18, 2005
Vancouver
Doomsday Device said:
No, being committed would be part of Sutter's criteria. Besides when you're playing at this level, as Price would know, 'optional' rarely ever is. And this is still a rumor anyways, and even if it is true that doesn't make it causative.

I hate to keep beating this to death, but if not going out and goofing around with 3 or 4 coaches is an indication of a lack of commitment, I don't see it. If there were 20 skaters out there I would agree, he should be there. Given the circumstances he did what he felt was best for his game that night. If you go by the game results it was the right choice.

Boondock Saint

Mar 6, 2003
NWDood said:
If you go by the game results it was the right choice.

Maybe if he had gone out in the morning, he wouldn't have let in the first 3 shots he faced.

How do his game results prove anything??

NWDood

Apr 18, 2005
Vancouver
Boondock Saint said:
Maybe if he had gone out in the morning, he wouldn't have let in the first 3 shots he faced.

How do his game results prove anything??

He didn't skate the morning of the first game he played when he let in 1. He was on the ice the morning of the game where he let in the 3 goals.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Sutter already said that Price may not have let in as many goals as Dubnyk but that Price let in more softies which was a significant concern that Sutter stated he would be watching out for before the camp started. Optional practice or no optional practice, Sutter didn't care for the number of softies Price let in.

ABwind

Jun 17, 2005
PEli said:
What you're forgetting is that you can have a balance if you still bring more offense. You don't beat a powerhouse by checking them to death. Not in an international tournament. You end up spending upwards of twenty minutes in the box.

This is not a balanced team. It is heavily lopsided on the plumber side. Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with guys that are willing to sacrifice personal stats to win games. Teams need guys like that. Guys like Mike Richards and Dan Paille come to mind. Those heart and soul guys are necessary. But you don't need eight or ten downgrades of those types of players.

I'm all for balance if it means the team can compete with the best. I don't see this team going toe to toe with the best and winning. An extremely disciplined team or a stellar PK will make the tournament for Canada. Here's hoping we've got it.

The thing is even the plumbers on this team can put the puck in the net. Anyone remember 2002. Jarrett Stoll, Brian Sutherby and Steve Ott. That checking line damn near scored half the teams goals. That year it was the high end guys like Jason Spezza and Mike Cammalerri that couldn't produce. In these tournaments you have to pick a team and not an all-star lineup. Everybody on this team can produce offense they just aren't many superstar offensive players. This a two-way team that is gonna be good two ways. So we got the best two-way players in the country. I feel pretty confident in this lineup.

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
Price is an excellent goalie and Sutter expects nothing but excellence from him.

Cutting him when he was just average is classic tough love.

Hopefully this move encourages Price to come back hungrier next year and prove he can lead a talented 1987 group to Gold in Sweden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->