Price and Little CUT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
E = CH² said:
Outside of Bolland, Chipchura, Latendresse and Comeau I'm not very familiar with the players that were picked. Do the other guys have a lot of speed ?

Yes pretty much.

Cogliano, Bertram, Pouliot, Toews and Pyatt are speedsters.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
LaLaLaprise said:
So Sutter plans on going with 2 scoring lines, an energy line and a shut down line??

Didnt the team last year have 3 scoring lines and a "checking line"

I might be out to lunch but historically teams that only have 2 scoring lines at any level of international competition haven't fared very well. Remember the last WC with 2 grind lines and 2 scoring lines ? Nagano ? I have a bad feeling they're going to lack scoring punch if the defense and goaltending is not VERY sharp. Pogge and the team defense better be good.

KadoCH

Apr 18, 2004
gr8haluschak said:
Really how about Prices three terrible goals from the blue line in his game and what about Ellis' soft goals on the amazing amounts of shots he had, yes Dubnyk let in what i would say was one bad goal in game one but he was BY FAR playing on the worst team of the 4, as well talk all you want aboot shots how about you ACTUALLY LOOK at the shots that were scored where was Dubnyk's defense last night ? What is worse three goals from almost the blue line or hawever many Deven let in from good scoring chances hmmm let me think about that one and even guys like TSN said he faced the most work and did relativly well that is why he made it

Ellis- let in one goal in the UBC game and it was exact replica of a goal Dubnyk allowed play came from the back of the net to the top of the crease and went five hole. He played bad in his intersquad game thoughand reports on him weren't glowing from practices.

Price- played on the same team as Dubnyk in every game so no Dubnyk didn't have the worst team just faced more shots in the UBC game, he had the same players in front of him. They both faced 17 shots in the intersquad games AND Dubnyk gave up four goals, and Price one. Price came in to a slaughter cold mid way through the second his three goals were a weak shot from Esposito from the point (players were buzzing arond the net a possible screen) a Rocket from I believe Brassard from the top of the cricle and a nice cross ice feed to a player standing alone at the side of the net for a tap in.

All reports from people who were actually at the camp indicated Dubnyk looked shaky and Price was solid read NWdood's comments and and the Canada practice thread and you will see nothing but good reports on Price in practice and games and negative comments on Dubnyks play.

Vic Rattlehead*

Price and Ellis did nothing in camp to show that they were better than Dubnyk, although he was pretty bad himself.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
E = CH² said:
I might be out to lunch but historically teams that only have 2 scoring lines at any level of international competition haven't fared very well. Remember the last WC with 2 grind lines and 2 scoring lines ? Nagano ? I have a bad feeling they're going to lack scoring punch if the defense and goaltending is not VERY sharp. Pogge and the team defense better be good.

Thats what I was thinking. A 3rd scoring line of Little -- Setoguchi -- Brassard wouldnt have been so bad ;)

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
19bruins19 said:
Price and Ellis did nothing in camp to show that they were better than Dubnyk, although he was pretty bad himself.

The question becomes:

What did Dubnyk do to make the team? From all accounts all 3 of those goalies werent that great. Dubnyk must have done something to stand out among those 3.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
LaLaLaprise said:
The question becomes:

What did Dubnyk do to make the team? From all accounts all 3 of those goalies werent that great. Dubnyk must have done something to stand out among those 3.
I'm guessing it was due in large part to his performnace at times during the regular season. Dubnyk has played extremely well against Red Deer this season and that likely was fresh in Sutter's mind when he picked the roster...

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
417 TO MTL said:
Didin't Brule get cut from last years training camp? Was he even named to the team? Or did he get injured again?

These questions may seem sarcastic, but I really don't remember...

Too much competition, too many good 19 years old on that team for Brule to make it as an 18 years old. Go back in time 1 year, snatch Brule from the past and put him in this training camp and I'm pretty sure he would have made it as an 18 years old but last time around just no reason to have him there.

EDIT :

Also, he would have had to beat McCarthur or Dixon and play on a checking line. I guess sutter felt safer with those guys.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
HemskyFreak83 said:
wow why all the hate for Dubnyk

none of the goalies this year are stand-outs, anyone can make a case for anyone of them

Pogge clearly won the number one spot, conspiracy theories aside.

Vic Rattlehead*

E = CH² said:
Too much competition, too many good 19 years old on that team for Brule to make it as an 18 years old. Go back in time 1 year, snatch Brule from the past and put him in this training camp and I'm pretty sure he would have made it as an 18 years old but last time around just no reason to have him there.

EDIT :

Also, he would have had to beat McCarthur or Dixon and play on a checking line. I guess sutter felt safer with those guys.
If there was no lockout last year, he would have made it.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
19bruins19 said:
If there was no lockout last year, he would have made it.

Because you think Richards, Carter and Getzlaf would have played in the NHL ?

Even so, there were guys like Fehr and Stone available who made good cases for themselves.

And if the above mentionned players had not been to the training camp Sutter would most likely have invited guys like Picard and Bernier.

Obviously it's all speculation but there were just too many good 19 years old out there for him to make it no matter what IMHO.

Vic Rattlehead*

E = CH² said:
Because you think Richards, Carter and Getzlaf would have played in the NHL ?

Even so, there were guys like Fehr and Stone available who made good cases for themselves.

And if the above mentionned players had not been to the training camp Sutter would most likely have invited guys like Picard and Bernier.

Obviously it's all speculation but there were just too many good 19 years old out there for him to make it no matter what IMHO.

I believe that Carter and/or Richards were going to play in the NHL last season, but because of the lockout, they had to remain in junior.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
19bruins19 said:
I believe that Carter and/or Richards were going to play in the NHL last season, but because of the lockout, they had to remain in junior.

Do you think Brule would have made it over one of Fehr and Stone ?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Douggy said:
Well I knew this thread would turn into a flame war at SOME point but who knew it would happen so quickly. :dunno:

And it doesn't even involve the Leafs fans!! :eek:

Where do you see a flame war ? There were some friendly jabs between a Brule fans and habs fans, nothing overly trollish though.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Steveorama said:
I don't like Ellis getting cut (not a fan of Pogge or Dubnyk), and the skaters look typically Sutter-like: cut the talented guys and keep the plumbers.
The proof is in the pudding, but I don't like this team's chances versus the US.

Well I doubt you'd feel that way if you watched the camp. Ellis was not at all impressive. Pogge was rock solid.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
While I am thrilled all 4 Blachawks picks (the 4 "Killer B's: Barker,ertram,Blundin and Bolland) made the squad(when if ever did the Hawks have that many make the Team Canada Jr. squad?),I am disappointed than another "B" (Derick Brassard) got the shaft ..he played well and would be futher insurance if say Cogliano goes down with an injury--I think it was a mistake by Sutter as he opted for ONLY 1 forward from the "Q" (Latendresse) --and so the "Q" gets shated again with only 3 players in total (Bourdon and Letang being the other two) ....I don't think he needed all 3 of Pyatt Boyd and Downie--if Downie is playing wing then he should have chopped one of the other two--if Downie is at centre then he should have chopped him because Bolland,Chipchura O'Mara Cogliano and Toews can all play centre---I would have kept Brassard and chopped one of the three others I mentioned...the other thing is: how will Latendresse play without his team-mate and good buddy Brassard not centering for him? Again--Quebec gets shafted,and Brassard with 2 goals and 2 assists in the 3 games probably deserved to be on that team as much as anyone...

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
I don't understand the argument about prepping Price for next year. How does sitting on the bench make him better for next year? One could certainly argue that starting to Tri Cities for the next few weeks is better experience for him is it not?

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Flames Draft Watcher said:
I don't understand the argument about prepping Price for next year. How does sitting on the bench make him better for next year? One could certainly argue that starting to Tri Cities for the next few weeks is better experience for him is it not?

Exactly. If Pogge is going to be solid out there and play like a true #1 goalthender for Canada, then as a Montreal fan I'd rather have Price to see some action in Tri-City for next few weeks, and come back more mature and experimented for the WJCs in 2007. Might be a good thing after all, unless it hurts his confidence and he gets frustrated about not making the team.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
hawksfan50 said:
While I am thrilled all 4 Blachawks picks (the 4 "Killer B's: Barker,ertram,Blundin and Bolland) made the squad(when if ever did the Hawks have that many make the Team Canada Jr. squad?),I am disappointed than another "B" (Derick Brassard) got the shaft ..he played well and would be futher insurance if say Cogliano goes down with an injury--I think it was a mistake by Sutter as he opted for ONLY 1 forward from the "Q" (Latendresse) --and so the "Q" gets shated again with only 3 players in total (Bourdon and Letang being the other two) ....I don't think he needed all 3 of Pyatt Boyd and Downie--if Downie is playing wing then he should have chopped one of the other two--if Downie is at centre then he should have chopped him because Bolland,Chipchura O'Mara Cogliano and Toews can all play centre---I would have kept Brassard and chopped one of the three others I mentioned...the other thing is: how will Latendresse play without his team-mate and good buddy Brassard not centering for him? Again--Quebec gets shafted,and Brassard with 2 goals and 2 assists in the 3 games probably deserved to be on that team as much as anyone...

Disagree. Brassard had some good stats but overall didn't stand out as much as Bolland, Cogliano, Boyd, or Toews. I watched all 3 scrimmages and I didn't really think he was going to make the team. Try not to read so much into stats man, they don't tell you the whole story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad