Price and Little CUT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDynasty

Aug 8, 2005
LaLaLaprise said:
So you take the 18 year old. That SHOULD have been the tiebreak.

Realisticly the back up gets 1 game. So giving Price 1 game and having him as the #1 next year would have been benefical.

This is what I don't understand. It would seem to me if you had any foresight at all, you take Price. Comparison's aside, cause I mean they were both pretty bad this season up to recent games, and both had questionable camps. Price is the only returnee of the goalies next year, and as such it would have made sense to at least prep him as I don't see any astounding goalie prospects coming down the pipe for Canada for another few years.

I'm fairly sure camp was just for show though, Sutter already had his team picked. It's evident as some of the stronger players in camp have been cut, and some of the moves are just weird.

I just cannot see this edition of Team Canada taking the Gold off of the US favourites at all.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
LaLaLaprise said:
So you take the 18 year old. That SHOULD have been the tiebreak.

Realisticly the back up gets 1 game. So giving Price 1 game and having him as the #1 next year would have been benefical.
I don't agree with the selection of Dubnyk. I would have picked Price as well. That one poster said that Price was much better than Ellis and Dubnyk but he wasn't. All three goalies were a huge disappointment.

Age has nothing to do with it. You take the best goalie available and they felt it was Dubnyk.

KadoCH

Apr 18, 2004
gr8haluschak said:
Ok #1 who cares what Ellis did in the summer camp really, with Pogge being the starter it proves that summer camp means squat since he was not there #2 who really cares how much he was tearing it up in the Q because the other three were doing well and tearing it up in the W as well who cares what all three of them are doing in their leagues because they are not playing players from their leagues and #3 Ellis let in more shaky goals playing on a way better squad then Dubnyk

#1 Read my post I said picking Ellis could of be JUSTIFIED based on prior performance I still believe picking him over Price would been a mistake but atleast he has some reasoning.

#2 Niether Dubnyk or Ellis showed any reason to pick them in the camp. Game wise they both gave up 9 goals and to say one had a better squad is ludicrus how can a team that gives up 28 shots in the intersquad game and only gets 17 and 1 goal be condsidered way better. 9 goals on 48 shots for Dubnyk no matter how you slice it is shaky.

So show me some evidence that Dubnyk's pick could of been justified because thats all I said of Ellis not that he was some miracle man just that based on the season and summer he could of been. Dubnyk from what I can see there is no reasoning behind until Sutter comes out with why he made the pick.

Canada in my estimation is left with unproven goaltending but Pogge has shown in alteast limited action to be solid so hopefully he can carry this team to gold.

Last edited:

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Richard_Zednik said:
Bob Gainey Stanley Cups 1- Columbus - 0

:sarcasm:

Years since last cup: 12

Years since Columbus expansion: 5

This is going to be a fun debate for years to come. With luck, we'll face off in the finals, hopefully Price between the pipes and Brule manning the top center position

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
As a fan, I would have been a bit more confident if Pogge had had been thrown to the wolves at least once (like the others) and faced more than 17 shots in his two appearances. I think Ellis has faced 39 shots (8 goals), Price 38 (4 goals), and Dubnyk 49 (9 goals). Dubnyk, Ellis, and Price all struggled when they faced a lot of work, but, at least impirically, Price settled down after allowing 3 goals on the first 4 shots (he was coming in cold, though) and stopped the next 17 (apparently with many crowd pleasing saves too). I would have liked to see how Pogge would have reacted to playing on the weaker for at least one of the games (at least it would give me more confidence in him).

Dubnyk just scares me, though. He must put together strong games because he routinely has a high save percentage and, like Price, has stepped up his game in the dub after starting off cold, but I've yet to see him play a solid game when he was on tv and I don't think he's performed that well in pressure situations (I don't think he's played well in any of his WJC camps and I don't remember hearing about him amking waves in the Oilers' camp like I did of Deslauriers a couple years ago). Hopefully Team Canada's brass sees more in him and he proves me wrong.

Edit: I wrote Dubnyk faced 58 shots when he only faced 49.

Last edited:

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
I don't care if Team Canada takes Dubnyk or Ellis or Price, but can some of the posters who claim (on every thread we had about this topic) that Price is such a great goalie who "can win the games when it counts", tell me when he ever did something like that? I mean he sucked at the U17 WHC, when he was outplayed by Lavasseur and couldn't lead a very good Team Pacific to a gold medal. He sucked last year at the U18 WJC and he didn't play that great in his only play-off experience in 2004 when he lost his starting role.

Don't get me wrong, he is a very talented goalie who will most likely play in the NHL some day, but I don't get some posters here who claim that he is the goalie that can steal games when it counts, when he never proved it so far.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Wolfpack said:
Last time I checked, it is Sutter's job to win the tournament THIS year, not NEXT year. Obviously that is what he based his decision(s) on.

If Dubnyk plays more than 1 game, god help us at this Tournement.

Pogge is the #1. There is no way Dubnyk will get more than 1 game unless Pogge has a monumental collapse, which I doubt happens.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
E = CH² said:
Also, why was Setoguchi cut ? Anyone has an idea ?
Setoguchi was battling for a spot on the top two lines. I think he only got one goal and it was a lucky one so they cut him. He's a steaky player and maybe they thought if he wasn't playing well they would cut and they did.

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004
KadoCH said:
#1 Read my post I said picking Ellis could of be JUSTIFIED based on prior performance I still believe picking him over Price would been a mistake but atleast he has some reasoning.

#2 Niether Dubnyk or Ellis showed any reason to pick them in the camp. Game wise they both gave up 9 goals and to say one had a better squad is ludicrus how can a team that gives up 28 shots in the intersquad game and only gets 17 and 1 goal be condsidered way better and 9 goals on 38 shots no matter how you slice it is shakey.

So show me some evidence that Dubnyk's pick could of been justified because thats all I said of Ellis not that he was some miracle man just that based on the season and summer he could of been. Dubnyk from what I can see there is no reasoning behind until Sutter comes out with why he made the pick.

Canada in my estimation is left with unproven goaltending but Pogge has shown in alteast limited action to be solid so hopefully he can carry this team to gold.

Really how about Prices three terrible goals from the blue line in his game and what about Ellis' soft goals on the amazing amounts of shots he had, yes Dubnyk let in what i would say was one bad goal in game one but he was BY FAR playing on the worst team of the 4, as well talk all you want aboot shots how about you ACTUALLY LOOK at the shots that were scored where was Dubnyk's defense last night ? What is worse three goals from almost the blue line or hawever many Deven let in from good scoring chances hmmm let me think about that one and even guys like TSN said he faced the most work and did relativly well that is why he made it

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
canucksfan said:
Setoguchi was battling for a spot on the top two lines. I think he only got one goal and it was a lucky one so they cut him. He's a steaky player and maybe they thought if he wasn't playing well they would cut and they did.

What about Brassard? 2 goals and 2 assists in the 2 games.

I honestly think Sutter had his mind made up prior to the camp. Kris Russell from all accounts looked shaky at times. Sutter sees him play A LOT during the season and Kris ended up making the team. It just seems as though the team was pre-picked and the camp didnt mean much of anything.

NWDood

Apr 18, 2005
Vancouver
I saw the whole camp and Price was clearly better than Dubnyk. Don't believe what TSN says about anything. McGuire and MacKenzie have never said anything good about Price. It is clear that Sutter had his mind made up before the camp started.

TheDynasty

Aug 8, 2005
LaLaLaprise said:

I honestly think Sutter had his mind made up prior to the camp. Kris Russell from all accounts looked shaky at times. Sutter sees him play A LOT during the season and Kris ended up making the team. It just seems as though the team was pre-picked and the camp didnt mean much of anything.

I have to agree.

I think Sutter just does not like certain players, and no matter how they perform they will not be making Team Canada while he is picking it.

HfxMoose

Nov 17, 2003
Halifax, Nova Scotia
LaLaLaprise said:
If Dubnyk plays more than 1 game, god help us at this Tournement.

Pogge is the #1. There is no way Dubnyk will get more than 1 game unless Pogge has a monumental collapse, which I doubt happens.
I agree. Pogge will start and hopefully finish every game. I doubt Dubnyk will see any action at all.

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
NWDood said:
I saw the whole camp and Price was clearly better than Dubnyk. Don't believe what TSN says about anything. McGuire and MacKenzie have never said anything good about Price. It is clear that Sutter had his mind made up before the camp started.
There you go.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
LaLaLaprise said:
At least these games will take place on small ice. We can bodycheck the other countries into submission :)

But we all know that referees give 2 minutes for "being stronger" in international comp. ;)

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
E = CH² said:
But we all know that referees give 2 minutes for "being stronger" in international comp. ;)

Oh yeah :( Plus they are calling the games by NHL standards so lets hope Bourdon/Letang/Russell can work some PP magic from the point :)

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
LaLaLaprise said:

The problem is who do you take off? Brassard would most likely me on one of the top two lines.

Sutter has an idea who will make the team before the camp. I'm pretty sure he had a lot of players penciled in. IMO there is nothing wrong with that. Last year Corey Perry wasn't going to make the team but he had a great game on the last day of camp and he made the team.

I'm not a big fan of Kris Russel. I have seen him play a lot. He easily gets knocked off the puck. However, he is a great quaterback on the powerplay and on thing Canada is missing is offence from the blueline. He also plays with Barker so the chemistry may have something to do with it.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
canucksfan said:
The problem is who do you take off? Brassard would most likely me on one of the top two lines.

Sutter has an idea who will make the team before the camp. I'm pretty sure he had a lot of players penciled in. IMO there is nothing wrong with that. Last year Corey Perry wasn't going to make the team but he had a great game on the last day of camp and he made the team.

I'm not a big fan of Kris Russel. I have seen him play a lot. He easily gets knocked off the puck. However, he is a great quaterback on the powerplay and on thing Canada is missing is offence from the blueline. He also plays with Barker so the chemistry may have something to do with it.

So Sutter plans on going with 2 scoring lines, an energy line and a shut down line??

Didnt the team last year have 3 scoring lines and a "checking line"

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
on the Price vs Brule, Gainey has won a stanely cup as coach and GM of Dallas. Brule is just too fragile and small, we already have Koivu. Doesnt matter Price AND Brule will be on the team next year.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Outside of Bolland, Chipchura, Latendresse and Comeau I'm not very familiar with the players that were picked. Do the other guys have a lot of speed ?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
futurcorerock said:
:sarcasm:

Years since last cup: 12

Years since Columbus expansion: 5

This is going to be a fun debate for years to come. With luck, we'll face off in the finals, hopefully Price between the pipes and Brule manning the top center position

Didin't Brule get cut from last years training camp? Was he even named to the team? Or did he get injured again?

These questions may seem sarcastic, but I really don't remember...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad